Shrinking woofer sizes for hifi ?

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
yeah I’ve heard of them and psa.
Ill never be able to afford those or let alone move them . Oddly there big woofers don’t go below 60-70 hz!!!
I said they do exist but super expensive!!!!
In general most speakers aren’t over 6.5-8” max size .
Some towers have 4-6” woofers, brands charge a ton for small speakers like kef r .
Actually, you'd be surprised at how much bass that most people hear and love comes from 50-80 hz. Below that is mostly things rattling in your room.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Ninja
They got too many cooks in the kitchen and couldn’t decide on the final finishes for their cabinets. But no exact dates yet on when they are available to ship. :D
What? RBH is doing a new speaker line you got me curious bro you gotta hit me with a PM about this

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Field Marshall
What? RBH is doing a new speaker line you got me curious bro you gotta hit me with a PM about this
Correct me if I'm wrong but RBH used to have a very affordable line of speakers that were highly rated and reviewed well? I can't remember the model numbers though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Full Audioholic
Convenience is king. The market is not playing to the enthusiast niche, it's mostly playing to the mass market and the mass market wants small, convenient, inexpensive stuff these days. No more big headphones, they want wireless in-ear monitors. No more big speakers, they want tiny portable bluetooth speakers with zero wires. No more gear, they have a smart phone and the internet. And when any of these types come into a crowd of enthusiasts, they get told their audio equipment and media quality are all essentially garbage and that they need huge, expensive, inconvenient things.

So it's easier to lure in the mass market to the entry point of enthusiast audio with small options that are inexpensive. And while they're sort of meh for an already deep into it enthusiast, the fact that they have a speaker, at all, is a huge change in their audio journey. 20 and 30 year-olds today grew up with 1" tweeters on their TV and whatever came in their vehicle (and they never even thought about it) and never even bought a boom box or anything like that because they grew up with smart phones, TV and internet. Most of these people get a small cabinet speaker in the form of a sound bar because its small, inexpensive and sounds better than their TV's built in drivers and they're content. And they only discovered it due to adds on social media, not because they were actively looking up better audio experiences. And if they can sling their bluetooth to it, all the better. They slowly, if they get into it, creeping into some enthusiast equipment, again, they're likely to bite on small, affordable, not huge cabinet stuff. Going from wireless air pods to huge wired towers and wired subs is a life change and mindset change. And people have less space globally on top of it. And it's heavy and work, so that's also going up against today's cultural norms.

Today's "audiophiles" wear audio-jewelry instead and stream soundcloud, spotify and whatever video service they're subscribed to. It's hard to convince them that they need big drivers in big cabinets and they're not portable and they have to have people over to their place to share a listen, rather than just clicking "share" on their phone and sending it to 5k people on the internet to listen to.

Very best,

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Ninja
Correct me if I'm wrong but RBH used to have a very affordable line of speakers that were highly rated and reviewed well? I can't remember the model numbers though.

Yes they did maybe they are restructuring that line

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic General
Convenience is king. The market is not playing to the enthusiast niche, it's mostly playing to the mass market and the mass market wants small, convenient, inexpensive stuff these days. No more big headphones, they want wireless in-ear monitors. No more big speakers, they want tiny portable bluetooth speakers with zero wires. No more gear, they have a smart phone and the internet. And when any of these types come into a crowd of enthusiasts, they get told their audio equipment and media quality are all essentially garbage and that they need huge, expensive, inconvenient things.

So it's easier to lure in the mass market to the entry point of enthusiast audio with small options that are inexpensive. And while they're sort of meh for an already deep into it enthusiast, the fact that they have a speaker, at all, is a huge change in their audio journey. 20 and 30 year-olds today grew up with 1" tweeters on their TV and whatever came in their vehicle (and they never even thought about it) and never even bought a boom box or anything like that because they grew up with smart phones, TV and internet. Most of these people get a small cabinet speaker in the form of a sound bar because its small, inexpensive and sounds better than their TV's built in drivers and they're content. And they only discovered it due to adds on social media, not because they were actively looking up better audio experiences. And if they can sling their bluetooth to it, all the better. They slowly, if they get into it, creeping into some enthusiast equipment, again, they're likely to bite on small, affordable, not huge cabinet stuff. Going from wireless air pods to huge wired towers and wired subs is a life change and mindset change. And people have less space globally on top of it. And it's heavy and work, so that's also going up against today's cultural norms.

Today's "audiophiles" wear audio-jewelry instead and stream soundcloud, spotify and whatever video service they're subscribed to. It's hard to convince them that they need big drivers in big cabinets and they're not portable and they have to have people over to their place to share a listen, rather than just clicking "share" on their phone and sending it to 5k people on the internet to listen to.

Very best,
Yeah Bluetooth, soundbars , micro headphones are all shrinking audio sizes . And most Bluetooth speaker don’t even have woofers just midranges.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The new line just replaces the smaller SV6500, SV661, SV61.

The SV831/SV821/SV1212 are still the flagship.

H

head_unit

Audioholic Intern
RTR had speakers in the late-'70s/early-'80s with woofers that were about 26" diameter
A coworker friend had those things! In his bedroom!! Playing a TURNTABLE!!! Yeah, that didn't work too well. His parents were older and I think literally somewhat deaf.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

You thinking of their former Emp Tek brand?

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis