Should Home Theater Embrace Gaming to Save the Industry?

Should Home Theater Stores Embrace Gaming?

• Yes. It will take gaming to the next level and get the young generationinterested into home theater.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No. The kids are all right.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • What for? I'm still rockin 8 bit Commodore 64 and Coleco.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
A

allargon

Audioholic General
Opinions more than assumptions.

Gamers will demand 5 HDMI 2.1 inputs on A/V receivers for future game consoles. The manufacturers will listen to them and we will get plastic, noisy, A/V receivers with poor amps and DAC's as they kowtow to the gaming market.
So, the mass market receivers below $1000 will remain the same?

I doubt that this will be the case for any flagship receivers.

Sent using Tapatalk

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Opinions more than assumptions.

I don't deny the global gaming market is growing. However, that is my concern because HT is kind of a niche market and I suspect that a great percentage of those folks (global gaming market) could care less about what many of us in the A/V and/or HT enthusiasts niche care about, our interest isn't compatible.

Also, the gaming market largest area of growth, by a big margin, is within the smartphone market. Some of the new phones are coming with Dolby Vision and Atmos capability and you think that's a good trend for HT and don't know what else to tell you.

I'm sure companies will and I suspect that the quality of the products that we came to know and love over year will start to go down.

I focus on TVs because that is where I see where gamers primarily focus their attention.

Again, they will try to converge the gaming market with HT, but mostly from a gamers perspective, we kind of witness that with HDMI 2.1 A/V receivers, which were somewhat of a fail. Gamers will demand 5 HDMI 2.1 inputs on A/V receivers for future game consoles. The manufacturers will listen to them and we will get plastic, noisy, A/V receivers with poor amps and DAC's as they kowtow to the gaming market.
I agree that the biggest growth is in mobile gaming, but with over 200 million consoles out there and only growing, there is a HUGE potential maket of opportunity, you are just too narrow minded to acknowldeg it.

• First point, those are not assumptions, they are facts and I have provided your quotes and highlighted examples you have makde on gamers and your condecending replies.
  • I think with Covid-19 and in general HT is not quite as niche as you believe
Your Assumptions:
  1. "I suspect that a great percentage of those folks (global gaming market) could care less about what many of us in the A/V and/or HT enthusiasts niche care about, our interest isn't compatible."
  2. "I suspect that the quality of the products that we came to know and love over year will start to go down."
  3. "I focus on TVs because that is where I see where gamers primarily focus their attention."
  4. "The manufacturers will listen to them and we will get plastic, noisy, A/V receivers with poor amps and DAC's as they kowtow to the gaming market."
  5. "Gamers will demand 5 HDMI 2.1 inputs on A/V receivers for future game consoles. The manufacturers will listen to them and we will get plastic, noisy, A/V receivers with poor amps and DAC's as they kowtow to the gaming market."
Thank you for validating my points.

Assumptions
1: Please provide any creditble evidence that supports your assumptions/opinions? It's already been discussed that gamers care about picture quality? While I don't game as much anymore, I belong to many gaming sites and people are constantly upgrading both their audio and video. A lot of gamers are opting on better quality HT and even studio monitors for the PC desktops. To be honest, I don't think you know very much about gamers at all.

2: Quality of products has gone down well before gaming got involved. I can guarentee you that if the HT companies don't generate revenue, their ability to produce even the low end products will be impacted.

3. Gamers care about sound, again your assumptions are completely off base. I base this on my expereince as a gamer, a lot of innovation on game systems (both consoles and wireless) is centered around sounds, both for headsets and speakers. Gamers will spend $$$, you fail to see the big picture again. Portable gaming is another example of innovation. I agree that Atmos on a cell phone is useless, but being able to stream in higher quailty formats (AptX HD, Sony, Apple innovations) has only improved sound quality for wireless.

4. Low quality gear is is not because of gamers, it is because these companies will look to cut coners, regardless. Without the extra revenue that gaming can potentially add to their bottom line, they won't have to resources to even make those. With a wider audience comes winder income levels of buyers, which leads to a more diverse product offering.

5. LOL is all I can say about that point, you are really reaching, more proof you don't know gamers.

Based on your assumptions, you make Home Theater people seem like elitests and niche market. You may be right in the past, but its also an industry that was constricting pre-pandemic. Now more and more people are getting into Home Theater thanks to streaming servcies and gaming.

As I have stated serveral times, your asusmptions have nothing credible to support them. You obvsiouly don't know gamers and are making poor examples based on that. You seem to blame everything that is bad from home theater on gaming and that narrow minded approach is why I completely disagree with your assumptions/opinions.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree that the biggest growth is in mobile gaming, but with over 200 million consoles out there and only growing, there is a HUGE potential maket of opportunity, you are just too narrow minded to acknowldeg it.

• First point, those are not assumptions, they are facts and I have provided your quotes and highlighted examples you have makde on gamers and your condecending replies.
Your Assumptions:
  1. "I suspect that a great percentage of those folks (global gaming market) could care less about what many of us in the A/V and/or HT enthusiasts niche care about, our interest isn't compatible."
  2. "I suspect that the quality of the products that we came to know and love over year will start to go down."
  3. "I focus on TVs because that is where I see where gamers primarily focus their attention."
  4. "The manufacturers will listen to them and we will get plastic, noisy, A/V receivers with poor amps and DAC's as they kowtow to the gaming market."
  5. "Gamers will demand 5 HDMI 2.1 inputs on A/V receivers for future game consoles. The manufacturers will listen to them and we will get plastic, noisy, A/V receivers with poor amps and DAC's as they kowtow to the gaming market."

Assumptions
1: Please provide any creditble evidence that supports your assumptions/opinions? It's already been discussed that gamers care about picture quality? While I don't game as much anymore, I belong to many gaming sites and people are constantly upgrading both their audio and video. A lot of gamers are opting on better quality HT and even studio monitors for the PC desktops. To be honest, I don't think you know very much about gamers at all.

2: Quality of products has gone down well before gaming got involved. I can guarentee you that if the HT companies don't generate revenue, their ability to produce even the low end products will be impacted.

3. Gamers care about sound, again your assumptions are completely off base. I base this on my expereince as a gamer, a lot of innovation on game systems (both consoles and wireless) is centered around sounds, both for headsets and speakers. Gamers will spend $$$, you fail to see the big picture again. Portable gaming is another example of innovation. I agree that Atmos on a cell phone is useless, but being able to stream in higher quailty formats (AptX HD, Sony, Apple innovations) has only improved sound quality for wireless.

4. Low quality gear is is not because of gamers, it is because these companies will look to cut coners, regardless. Without the extra revenue that gaming can potentially add to their bottom line, they won't have to resources to even make those. With a wider audience comes winder income levels of buyers, which leads to a more diverse product offering.

5. LOL is all I can say about that point, you are really reaching, more proof you don't know gamers.

Based on your assumptions, you make Home Theater people seem like elitests and niche market. You may be right in the past, but its also an industry that was constricting pre-pandemic. Now more and more people are getting into Home Theater thanks to streaming servcies and gaming.

As I have stated serveral times, your asusmptions have nothing credible to support them. You obvsiouly don't know gamers and are making poor examples based on that. You seem to blame everything that is bad from home theater on gaming and that narrow minded approach is why I completely disagree with your assumptions/opinions.
But, but... b-black crush?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Your Assumptions:

Assumptions

In all due respect, you're kind of going off the deep end. I'm not making assumptions, it's called the "eye test" I'm making opinions based upon what I have observed. For example, and you have agreed, that growth in the gaming industry will primarily come from the smartphone industry. I'm not going to say "mobile" because that's vague and imprecise. The games will primarily be played on the smartphone. Based upon that fact alone, I can see the profile of a gamer. What drives the gamer to invest money and time into gaming is incompatible with the A/V enthusiasts. I don't think you would ever find a trend where a cellphone would be the centerpiece of a home theater among home theater enthusiasts like cellphone gaming is trending among gamers. No way! That tells me a lot about that demographic and their mindset. If that same trend was happening among A/V enthusiasts this hobby would be finished.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
In all due respect, you're kind of going off the deep end. I'm not making assumptions, it's called the "eye test" I'm making opinions based upon what I have observed. For example, and you have agreed, that growth in the gaming industry will primarily come from the smartphone industry. I'm not going to say "mobile" because that's vague and imprecise. The games will primarily be played on the smartphone. Based upon that fact alone, I can see the profile of a gamer. What drives the gamer to invest money and time into gaming is incompatible with the A/V enthusiasts. I don't think you would ever find a trend where a cellphone would be the centerpiece of a home theater among home theater enthusiasts like cellphone gaming is trending among gamers. No way! That tells me a lot about that demographic and their mindset. If that same trend was happening among A/V enthusiasts this hobby would be finished.
No deep end, just stating facts. It's obvious you have no expereince with the gaming world, and just I don't agree with your opinions, asumptions or whatever you would like to call them. You only acknowedge your thoughs, and are completely egocentric. This is really just a fun waste of time at this point.
  • You blame everything from cheap TVs to Black Crush (insert cheap elvis pic) on gamers, its just plain ignorant and not factual
  • Now you are focused on cell phones, which I never stated were central in Home Theater
  • Game are played on many things besides mobile phones, Ninentdo Switch, Ipad, etc, when they discuss the mobile gaming market they refer to all these devices. Nintendo sells 30 million pieces of software for a single title. None of these are directly related to HT, never said they were, yet now your focused on them.
  • Back to the console market, there are over 300+ million consoles out there as a potential market, would you want to ignore them?
  • You ignore the differnent facts presented about gaming and how it can bring revenue to the HT market.
Discussions should be two ways, but you can only state our ideas and opinons, so at this point it's a waste of time.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ryanosaur

Thinks this is cool, no problem! A long as he can game.:)
??? Wha?
1628196241143.png

Clearly you don't get the point many of us have been trying to make:
The entirety of the conversation as it pertains to you is so utterly absurd as to be painful at this point. Your entire opinion that gaming is somehow injurious to the AV hobby as a whole has been thoroughly shredded to the extent it's not even usable in a cat box. Yet you keep piping up with you GOML stance, reiterating how awful any of us gamers must be to the state of decent televisiony. (Yeah, I made that up.)
For as much energy and effort you have put forth to complain, you haven't once shown any evidence to substantiate your claim, much the way a certain political orientation seems to feel the last election was stolen. If you can't give some evidence in support of how the Gaming industry will hurt the Home Theater industry, then all you are doing is throwing a tantrum like a certain spray-tanned 70 yr old baby.

You shared your opinion. We aren't buying in.

Bye, Felicia.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

We agree that there's a decline in 4K TVs in the year 2021, as I argued here before, however, I disagree, in part, with FOMO on the cause. He attributes the decline to the industry's attempt to move the market to 8K, I believe the decline has more to do with the industry addressing more gaming features because the one features that 2021 TVs has over 2020 TVs is more gaming features.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

We agree that there's a decline in 4K TVs in the year 2021, as I argued here before, however, I disagree, in part, with FOMO on the cause. He attributes the decline to the industry's attempt to move the market to 8K, I believe the decline has more to do with the industry addressing more gaming features because the one features that 2021 TVs has over 2020 TVs is more gaming features.
Things I learned from this video.

1.) It's a bit creepy that this guy is wearing gloves while making a video, is afraid of getting Covid from his Camera?
2.) I agree Samsung screwed the pooch switching to ADS from VA Pannels. (nothing to do with Gaming)
3.) There is absoultly nothing in this video that supports gamers as the cause of lower quality TVs.

Gamers want fastest response times & refresh rates. If Samsung was building to their spec, they would stick with VA Panels, because that screen techhas the advantage of faster response times with strong contrast ratios. Samsungs move to an ADS or "IPS" type panel has nothing to do with gamers. I actually game on an PC IPS panel mainly because I use my monitor for work, and I need the viewing angels and color accuracy. Otherwise if I were only a gamer I would use a VA Panel.

I would try to discuss this point further, but it will fall on deaf ears, because you only see your the side of the discussion.

A

arberda2

Audiophyte
These parts were carefully picked out by myself and my brother, who is a very experienced gaming PC builder. He even researched all the parts and discovered that, at the time, the parts would cost $1300, plus shipping from multiple retailers, not including a copy of Windows 7 which iBuypower included for free. Note: These were not the top-of-the-line parts in October 2014, however, they were upper-mid tier and fit my budget, which was actually $1000, but I was able to squeeze a couple hundred more dollars after 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 cutting some other expenses.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis