Should Home Theater Embrace Gaming to Save the Industry?

Should Home Theater Stores Embrace Gaming?

• Yes. It will take gaming to the next level and get the young generationinterested into home theater.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No. The kids are all right.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • What for? I'm still rockin 8 bit Commodore 64 and Coleco.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Sir, it has nothing to do with preference. What I said is a fact. We don't need HDMI 2.1 nor 120HZ displays to have the state-of-the-art home theater experience. The multi-use is in reference to gaming, otherwise, your system is not unique to any other system.
:rolleyes:

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yeah, he said the same about me too, and I'm 51. It's kinda useless arguing with him because he's a dishonest interlocutor, assumes way too much and isn't very concerned with the actual facts surrounding the subject. Just one bald assertion after another, but I do think exposing that could be helpful to some of the readers so I'm happy to keep pointing out fallacies. The arguments I've read so far remind me of how some folks justify bigotry.
At 51, you're Gen X. Anyway, I didn't classify you with the gaming mob, you know that. You are the exception! Most of them won't gatekeep like you would because the bulk of the gaming demographic doesn't care nor cherish quality A/V. As I said before, a display not having HDMI 2.1 vs a display with crushed blacks and or poor shadow detail is a bigger sin to them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
At 51, you're Gen X. Anyway, I didn't classify you with the gaming mob, you know that. You are the exception! Most of them won't gatekeep like you would because the bulk of the gaming demographic doesn't care nor cherish quality A/V. As I said before, a display not having HDMI 2.1 vs a display with crushed blacks and or poor shadow detail is a bigger sin to them.
Um, are you saying we can't have HDMI 2.1 with good blacks and shadow?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Interesting article on black crush and how it can negatively affect the gaming experience...

"Black crush refers to the loss of fidelity in especially dark areas of an image. The term might apply in both the photography and video spheres but is most commonly used to describe the loss of shadow detail in moving images like movies and games."

"The problem is unlikely to make content unwatchable, but it does detract from the overall presentation. In movies, you might miss subtle details around the edge of the frame, while the issue can make it way too difficult to see what’s happening in some games (particularly in brightly lit rooms)."

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Um, are you saying we can't have HDMI 2.1 with good blacks and shadow?
Here we go again, you will demand that, but the gaming mob won't. They will demand HDMI 2.1 or whatever new gaming feature comes, you would be hard-pressed to get a word from them about a black crush, heck many of them don't know what black crush is. If the gaming community was equally focused on PQ advancements as they are gaming capabilities, then we can have both.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here we go again, you will demand that, but the gaming mob won't. They will demand HDMI 2.1 or whatever new gaming feature comes, you would be hard-pressed to get a word from them about a black crush, heck many of them don't know what black crush is. If the gaming community was equally focused on PQ advancements as they are gaming capabilities, then we can have both.
If you take a look at my post above, it would seem black crush is something that a lot of gamers would be very concerned about...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And after all of these pages, you still haven't provided me with a good reason why adding some gaming friendly features would ruin the industry…

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Only mob representative in this thread is you where your own needs are paramount to the exclusion of all other people.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Interestingly, it would seem that black crush would have a lot more impact on gaming than it would home theater. Missing a small detail watching a movie is no big deal, but those little details can be huge in gaming. Especially if you miss a door, hint or clue in a room that is all black crushed out.

I don't think these home theater guys truly understand how negative black crush is to the gaming experience.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Daily life in the queue: meet up with the avid gamers tenting out for an RTX 3080 Ti throughout the US.

Daily-life-in-the-queue-meet-up-with-the-avid-930x620.jpg

I suspect that the gaming crowd is consists of the same crowd as the iPhone crowd. Iphones come with Atmos and Dolby Vision for selfies.

1409954520533.jpg

This is like a foreign invasion of the HT world, they don't have the same aspirations as the home theater enthusiast, I don't believe it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just wish these home theater guys would educate themselves a little more on how bad black crush is for the gamer. They don't seem to understand it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Daily life in the queue: meet up with the avid gamers tenting out for an RTX 3080 Ti throughout the US.

View attachment 49432

I suspect that the gaming crowd is consists of the same crowd as the iPhone crowd. Iphones come with Atmos and Dolby Vision for selfies.

View attachment 49433

This is like a foreign invasion of the HT world, they don't have the same aspirations as the home theater enthusiast, I don't believe it.
Yup. Catering to all those enthusiastic people with disposable income will ruin the industry...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis