Should Home Theater Embrace Gaming to Save the Industry?

Should Home Theater Stores Embrace Gaming?

• Yes. It will take gaming to the next level and get the young generationinterested into home theater.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No. The kids are all right.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • What for? I'm still rockin 8 bit Commodore 64 and Coleco.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Interestingly, it would seem that black crush would have a lot more impact on gaming than it would home theater. Missing a small detail watching a movie is no big deal, but those little details can be huge in gaming. Especially if you miss a door, hint or clue in a room that is all black crushed out.

I don't think these home theater guys truly understand how negative black crush is to the gaming experience.
Dude black crush ruins the movie-watching experience.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yup. Catering to all those enthusiastic people with disposable income will ruin the industry...
Not only that, it ruins the environment due to their unmitigated consumption, but that's another discussion.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Huh. @Auditor55, it would seem we're on the same side, wouldn't it..? Well to a lesser extent you, since issues like black crush aren't as impactful to ht as it is us gamers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think every time black crush gets mentioned, a Velvet Elvis shall be posted.
What.
1627409166372.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm actually glad @Auditor55 brought these issues to my attention. The more I read up on it, the more I see how pretty much anything that detracts from the home theater experience is magnified for the gaming experience. Sure, it's annoying to have your moving picture crush, but have you ever spent multiple hours looking for a clue, item or upgrade only to discover you passed right by it a hundred times but couldn't see it because of black crush? I have. It's way more annoying for that to happen in a game than a movie.

I think these old ht guys need to get with the times, learn a little more about things like black crush and how negatively it impacts gaming. It's a pretty big deal and some of those guys don't seem to understand that...

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
BLACK CRUSH BLACK CRUSH BLACK CRUSH BLACK CRUSH BLACK CRUSH!

:p :p

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was not wrong about what I was saying about Atmos, it still holds true. However, that was a different discussion.

I don't make negatives assumptions about gamers, they are what they are. I just have a problem when they push their values into HT.

In our discussion you stated ATMOS is a FAD and wouldn't last. It will not be supported, on both counts you were wrong.

"You're probably very young and have a level of disposable income that allows you to just blow through money on what's ever the new trend, which is what I expect gamers to do"

You just made assumptions about about me with a negative connotation, so yes you do. It's unfortunate that you can only see your side of the discussion and not see the other side of things. That being said I will agree to disagree with you on the issue, and I believe I have presented issues to support my point beyond broad generalizations.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In our discussion you stated ATMOS is a FAD and wouldn't last. It will not be supported, on both counts you were wrong.

"You're probably very young and have a level of disposable income that allows you to just blow through money on what's ever the new trend, which is what I expect gamers to do"

You just made assumptions about about me with a negative connotation, so yes you do. It's unfortunate that you can only see your side of the discussion and not see the other side of things. That being said I will agree to disagree with you on the issue, and I believe I have presented issues to support my point beyond broad generalizations.
Oh, you and your pesky facts, logic and reason...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Why are you bringing up Atmos, it's really not relevant to this discussion. We can start another thread on Amtos or post in an existing one. However, some people get really emotional when you critique Atmos especially when they have already invested $$$ in it.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Why are you bringing up Atmos, it's really not relevant to this discussion. We can start another thread on Amtos or post in an existing one. However, some people get really emotional when you critique Atmos especially when they have already invested $$$ in it.
Interesting how you deflect from the other points made by posters. At the end of the day, you see things your way and are not open to other ideas. You have only made very generalized and broad based assumptions about gamers, along with veiled insults. I do not see that you provided anything to support your accusations about gamers ruining TVs or the industry. As I stated, we agree to disagree.

Back to the original Post Topic
“Should Home Theater Embrace Gaming to Save the Industry?”,

Let’s take a look at some actual facts:
  • The global gaming market is set to reach $256.97 billion by 2025.
  • More than 2.5 billion people worldwide play games.
If I owned a home theater company, I sure as poop will target to this audience and do my best to market the advantages of my product compared to the retail junk out there. Many companies like SVS are already doing just that.
  • You brought up TVs as really your only point, I am sure we can agree Home Theater is more than just TVs
  • I am sure many gamers buy junk, just as many non-gamers will buy the same junk.
  • When Gamers could play in 4k, don't you think that resulted in an increase in 4K TV sales?
  • I am also sure there are gamers that spend $$$ on their home theater to play games, and I would wager quite a few'
I would even go so far to say that if the Home Theater Industry didn’t try to embrace gamers, they would have an extremely difficult time growing their business. Gaming is growing expodentially faster than the Home Theater Industry. As others have pointed out with TVs and black crush examples, gamers have some of the same concerns as Home Theater enthusiasts. Based on everything I have looked at, it doesn't make sense for them not to support gaming

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Interesting how you deflect from the other points made by posters. At the end of the day, you see things your way and are not open to other ideas. You have only made very generalized and broad based assumptions about gamers, along with veiled insults. I do not see that you provided anything to support your accusations about gamers ruining TVs or the industry. As I stated, we agree to disagree.
Opinions more than assumptions.

Back to the original Post Topic
“Should Home Theater Embrace Gaming to Save the Industry?”,

Let’s take a look at some actual facts:
  • The global gaming market is set to reach $256.97 billion by 2025.
  • More than 2.5 billion people worldwide play games.
I don't deny the global gaming market is growing. However, that is my concern because HT is kind of a niche market and I suspect that a great percentage of those folks (global gaming market) could care less about what many of us in the A/V and/or HT enthusiasts niche care about, our interest isn't compatible.

Also, the gaming market largest area of growth, by a big margin, is within the smartphone market. Some of the new phones are coming with Dolby Vision and Atmos capability and you think that's a good trend for HT and don't know what else to tell you.

If I owned a home theater company, I sure as poop will target to this audience and do my best to market the advantages of my product compared to the retail junk out there. Many companies like SVS are already doing just that.
I'm sure companies will and I suspect that the quality of the products that we came to know and love over year will start to go down.

I focus on TVs because that is where I see where gamers primarily focus their attention.

I would even go so far to say that if the Home Theater Industry didn’t try to embrace gamers, they would have an extremely difficult time growing their business. Gaming is growing expodentially faster than the Home Theater Industry. As others have pointed out with TVs and black crush examples, gamers have some of the same concerns as Home Theater enthusiasts. Based on everything I have looked at, it doesn't make sense for them not to support gaming
Again, they will try to converge the gaming market with HT, but mostly from a gamers perspective, we kind of witness that with HDMI 2.1 A/V receivers, which were somewhat of a fail. Gamers will demand 5 HDMI 2.1 inputs on A/V receivers for future game consoles. The manufacturers will listen to them and we will get plastic, noisy, A/V receivers with poor amps and DAC's as they kowtow to the gaming market.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis