Salk Sound is closing

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
Here is a view of the front of my Veracity ST speaker with grille attached.
View attachment 63369

And here is a view of my old SongTowers, one with grille.
View attachment 63370
Any chance you would build a couple grills for the Song Towers? I am still working full time (over 65 retiring age) and do not have the time. Also, I would have to buy some more tools to do it right. I was too late for Salk to do it by a couple weeks.

K

KESM

Enthusiast
If it is screwed on probably, if not, then not.
Oh ok…there are 3 screws with washers mounted in the base center. They didn’t readily come off when unscrewed. So just verifying.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know if the plinths on the Encore 3’s are replaceable?
Oh ok…there are 3 screws with washers mounted in the base center. They didn’t readily come off when unscrewed. So just verifying.
The crossover may be part of your base, IIRC some models are, which version of the 3s?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Any chance you would build a couple grills for the Song Towers? I am still working full time (over 65 retiring age) and do not have the time. Also, I would have to buy some more tools to do it right. I was too late for Salk to do it by a couple weeks.
You would have to know the exact location of the magnets and whether the north poles were inward or outward facing.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
You would have to know the exact location of the magnets and whether the north poles were inward or outward facing.
I asked Swerd because he has a pair. Or if anyone else has Song Towers and can make a couple. I asked Salk for the actual instructions, but no answer after he stopped his biz.

K

KESM

Enthusiast
I have a the 3 Encore V1.5, is your's damaged or do you want something different like outriggers? Have you pulled one off yet?
I had some minor damage to one of the plinths while installing GAIA II isolators and thought to replace ‘em both. I wasn’t able to remove the plinth by hand to inspect it. I wasn’t sure if it was attached with wood glue or just sealed to some degree over time requiring some measure of force to remove it? I didn’t want to damage it so I refrained from trying to forcibly remove it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had some minor damage to one of the plinths while installing GAIA II isolators and thought to replace ‘em both. I wasn’t able to remove the plinth by hand to inspect it. I wasn’t sure if it was attached with wood glue or just sealed to some degree over time requiring some measure of force to remove it? I didn’t want to damage it so I refrained from trying to forcibly remove it.
That is a sad lesson not to indulge in audiophoolery. Speakers do not need isolators and certainly not ones at those exorbitant prices.

Stop reading the funny mags, and articles.

The lesson for you is that you bought a loony useless product, and now you have a damaged speaker to boot.

Your lesson is the "leave what is good, be good".

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You may still be able to contact Jim. Have you tried? He’s always been super helpful ime offering support to owners

K

KESM

Enthusiast
That is a sad lesson not to indulge in audiophoolery. Speakers do not need isolators and certainly not ones at those exorbitant prices.

The lesson for you is that you bought a loony useless product, and now you have a damaged speaker to boot.

One opinion doesn’t support fact in every case. I noticed some minor cosmetic damage while installing the isolators…& it’s insignificant in retrospect. I didn’t have the ones that Jim includes with his towers (installed on the plinths). The original design allows you to decouple the towers from the floor (using the included spikes). I have hardwood floors so I never used ‘em to avoid potential damage to my floor. I purchased the GAIA II isolators and they solved my issue with resonances/energy being transferred to my floor space…particularly when listening at louder volumes (above 70 db). The Encores benefit from decoupling given these speakers can play down to 26Hz. The separation disperses the energy from vibrating to my floor surface (compared to the plinths sitting directly onto the floor). To what degree? I don’t know. I don’t rely on measurements as a user. I do know there’s less effect to the floor and windows in my space. I’m not telling anyone to buy the GAIA II isolators. That’s a personal decision and someone else’s money. I dare not speak in either regard as a result. I see no real value in doing so. Who benefits?

I bought my Encores unheard as many here have from Jim. If I use your premise & logic…that’s foolery. My advice to you would be not to do that. It’s off putting and therefore your message, if any, is quickly disregarded. What’s unreasonable to you is…well…unreasonable to you. It doesn’t ever transfer to other peoples lives in a meaningful way.

I have worked with a local woodworker to great effect on other projects (REL sub finished in walnut-see pic)… and I was thinking about replacing the plinths merely for cosmetic reasons. For example…if the plinths are removable I could have ‘em made out of walnut to match the finish on the towers.

This hobby is the one journey that I’ve had in life that’s free of dictators. We get to try stuff as we see fit. This idea that we should do this or should do that… has no place in this wonderful hobby. For those who think otherwise…I would recommend finding another hobby if you cannot tolerate the many choices available for others to make.

You should take the advice that you’ve volunteered. Your reply isn’t applicable nor helpful. In retrospect the damage that I previously noted is insignificant and not entirely relative to the GAIA II isolator installation.

If I follow your premise I wouldn’t own Encores given I purchased ‘em unheard and based on Jim’s input. Many might say the Encores are too expensive. It’s relative to your paycheck which is another topic that has nothing to do with preference. I’ve purchased items within and outside of my budget. Neither purchase is more sensible based on cost…if it is what one desires. The Encores work for me…& I purchased based solely on Jim’s input…and the GAIA II isolators decouple ‘em from my hardwood floors. I purchased ‘em based on my personal need regardless of the subjectivity around the price point or the effectiveness of isolators on tower speakers. The GAIA II reduces the vibrations from the cabinet energy when the volume is above 70 db in MY setup. The Encores play down to 26Hz-32hz. This translates to floor-and-window rattling in my space. I have a preference to reduce that effect whether heard (or not)..& at all listening levels. There are other isolators and solutions. Or you can choose not to buy anything. I chose the GAIA II. My money, my choice, my experience, my solution. My question was to determine if other users had any experience around removing the plinths. From my vantage point…it doesn’t seem that they were removable. So I asked Jim and echoed that ‘ask’ here in this forum.

I don’t use the plinth spikes that Jim includes with the speakers. As aforementioned…I have hardwood floors. After installing the isolators the energy is tamped down quite a bit. I don’t experience room rattle with the speakers decoupled from the floor. I’ve concluded the energy is dissipated/dispersed/absorbed into the GAIA feet &/or the decoupling eliminated the effect of the energy transferring into the floor/walls/windows. Who knows? The install works for my application. I’m not here to sell anything to anyone. Try ‘em or don’t try ‘em. Your choice. You can return the GAIA isolators for a full refund on Amazon. No risk to a buyer. I can say that for all audio equipment or accessories. So what’s the beef?

I don’t get people like you on forums saying what one should or should not do? Have you tried the item? If not then you cannot speak intelligently with facts about whether the item has a positive or negative or neutral effect on YOUR set up. How you spend your money and how you think are your personal preferences and rights

i’ve reached out to Jim. I hadn’t heard back yet. I was simply trying to see if other owners had replaced their plinths or removed ‘em for whatever reason…given speakers can be damaged even if you don’t buy the GAIA’s. There are many reasons that a speaker can be damaged. It’s presumptive to conclude it’s the user. I digress…but I’m sad to see Jim go away…many owners will still need some level of advice or repair service advice down the stretch of ownership.

I’ve worked with a woodworker on a REL sub to great effect (see pic). So…I thought if the plinths are removable I could have a wood worker make plinths out of walnut to match my Encore 3 speakers. That simple. That may be foolery and have no effect on how the speakers perform. Who cares? I like the look of walnut (preference). I’ve been into stereo gear since I listened to my Dad’s Sears Silverstone console.

The thing I love about this hobby…it is your own journey…no one can dictate it. You have to try it on your own. Some stuff works some stuff doesn’t work…but it’s unique to your set up. No one’s manipulated me to buy anything. I buy it and try it and make my conclusion from there. And I only speak on my individual experience given I cannot say what anything will do or not do for someone else. I can only advise from my real world experience…& that’s limited to my set up.
Peace to all…& as Jim Salk states…enjoy the music.

IMG_7671.jpeg

Last edited:
K

KESM

Enthusiast
You may still be able to contact Jim. Have you tried? He’s always been super helpful ime offering support to owners
Thanks. I have but I didn’t receive a response. No worries. My issue isn’t significant as initially thought…& I can resolve locally if that’s even warranted. In hindsight the plinths are in tact as is. I may have a woodworker design ‘em in walnut to match…if they can be removed. I was asking in that regard..to see if other owners had removed ‘em.
IMG_9293.jpeg

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
One opinion doesn’t support fact in every case. I noticed some minor cosmetic damage while installing the isolators…& it’s insignificant in retrospect. I didn’t have the ones that Jim includes with his towers (installed on the plinths). The original design allows you to decouple the towers from the floor using the included spikes). I have hardwood floors so I never used ‘em to avoid potential damage to my floor. I purchased the GAIA II isolators and they solved my issue with resonances being transferred to my floor space…particularly when listening at louder volumes (above 70 db). The Encores benefit from decoupling given these speakers can play down to 26Hz. The separation disperses the energy from vibrating to my floor surface (compared to the plinths sitting directly onto the floor). To what degree? I don’t know. I don’t rely on measurements as a user. I do know there’s less effect to the floor and windows in my space. I’m not telling anyone to buy the GAIA II isolators. That’s a personal decision and someone else’s money. I dare not speak in either regard as a result. I see no real value in doing so. Who benefits?

I bought my Encores unheard as many here have from Jim. If I use your premise & logic…that’s foolery. My advice to you would be not to do that. It’s off putting and therefore your message if any is quickly disregarded. What’s unreasonable to you is well…unreasonable to you. It doesn’t ever transfer to other peoples lives in a meaningful way.

I have worked with a local woodworker to great effect on other projects (REL sub finished in walnut-see pic)… and was thinking about replacing the plinths merely for cosmetic reasons. For example…if the plinths are removable I could have ‘em made out of walnut to match the finish on the towers.

This hobby is the one journey that I’ve had in life free of dictators. We get to try stuff that as we see fit. This idea that we should do this or should do that has no place in this wonderful hobby. For those who think otherwise…I would recommend finding another hobby if you cannot tolerate the many choices available for others to make.

You should take the advice that you’ve volunteered. Your reply isn’t applicable nor helpful. In retrospect the damage that I previously noted is insignificant and not entirely relative to the GAIA II isolator installation.

If I follow your premise I wouldn’t own Encores given I purchased ‘em unheard and based on Jim’s input. The Encores work for me…based on Jim’s input…and the GAIA II isolators decouple ‘em from my hardwood floors. This reduces the vibrations from the cabinet energy when the volume is above 70 db. The Encores play down to 26Hz-32hz. This translates to floor-and-window rattling in my space. I have a preference to reduce that effect whether heard or not at all listening levels. There are other isolators and solutions. I chose the GAIA II. My money, my choice, my experience, my solution.

I don’t use the plinth spikes that Jim includes with the speakers. As aforementioned…I have hardwood floors. After installing the isolators the energy is tamped down quite a bit. I don’t experience room rattle with the speakers decoupled from the floor. I’ve concluded the energy is dissipated/dispersed/absorbed into the GAIA feet &/or the decoupling eliminated the effect of the energy transferring into the floor/walls/windows. Who knows? The install works for my application. I’m not here to sell anything to anyone. Try ‘em or don’t try ‘em. Your choice. You can return the GAIA isolators for a full refund on Amazon. No risk to a buyer. I can say that for all audio equipment or accessories. So what’s the beef?

I don’t get people like you on forums saying what one should or should not do? Have you tried the item? If not then you cannot speak intelligently with facts about whether the item has a positive or negative or neutral effect on YOUR set up. How you spend your money and how you think are your personal preferences and rights

i’ve reached out to Jim. I hadn’t heard back yet. I was simply trying to see if other owners had replaced their plinths or removed ‘em for whatever reason…given speakers can be damaged even if you don’t buy the GAIA’s. There are many reasons that a speaker can be damaged. It’s presumptive to conclude it’s the user. I digress…but I’m sad to see Jim go away…many owners will still need some level of advice or repair service advice down the stretch of ownership.

I’ve worked with a woodworker on a REL sub to great effect (see pic). So…I thought if the plinths are removable I could have a wood worker make plinths out of walnut to match my Encore 3 speakers. That simple. That may be foolery and have no effect on how the speakers perform. Who cares? I like the look of walnut (preference). I’ve been into stereo gear since I listened to my Dad’s Sears Silverstone console.

The thing I love about this hobby…it is your own journey…no one can dictate it. You have to try it on your own. Some stuff works some stuff doesn’t work…but it’s unique to your set up. No one’s manipulated me to buy anything. I buy it and try it and make my conclusion from there. And I only speak on my individual experience given I cannot say what anything will do or not do for someone else. I can only advise from my real world experience…& that’s limited to my set up.
Peace to all…& as Jim Salk states…enjoy the music.

View attachment 67310
Around here, we don't take TLS's crankiness personally. Otherwise, he has a lot of useful information and means well and is often generous with help.

As I get older, I too appreciate an opportunity to rant occasionally (ok, frequently), and understanding audiences become harder to find. If all of us old guys could hang together like the 'olden' days before internet, we'd be expected to collectively rant and our spouses/family would exile us to the yard or the garage where we could bitch about everything undeterred until the cows came home.

We need more understanding with all of the otherwise missing inflection with this faceless form of communication, is all. Most people mean well at heart.

I find it helps just knowing that if someone actually directed such language at me face-to-face with intentional insult, a purple nurple, wet willie, or wedgie would soon cure their foul manners.

K

KESM

Enthusiast
Around here, we don't take TLS's crankiness personally. Otherwise, he has a lot of useful information and means well and is often generous with help.

As I get older, I too appreciate an opportunity to rant occasionally (ok, frequently), and understanding audiences become harder to find. If all of us old guys could hang together like the 'olden' days before internet, we'd be expected to collectively rant and our spouses/family would exile us to the yard or the garage where we could bitch about everything undeterred until the cows came home.

We need more understanding with all of the otherwise missing inflection with this faceless form of communication, is all. Most people mean well at heart.

I find it helps just knowing that if someone actually directed such language at me face-to-face with intentional insult, a purple nurple, wet willie, or wedgie would soon cure their foul manners.
I agree wholeheartedly. We’ve lost our ability to disagree without name calling and being presumptive about someone’s choice's…& maybe even their mistakes. Calling someones’s choice foolery is unreasonable given it’s all foolery to those would don’t partake in this hobby that some folks would consider extravagant. Most folks (not all) purchase Sony AVRs (and Polks) & call it a day. I know when I started out…I did. There’s nothing wrong or foolish about either path.

I think if you’ve purchased from Jim you’re seeking custom level gear. I suspect that means you’re in the deep end of the (foolery) pool…depending on one’s relative perspective.
The fact that Jim is exiting the stage may suggest many things…competition….a race to the bottom…in terms of the perceived value over the quality of goods…who knows? My main concern is that those who’ve enjoyed Jim’s work over the years will have to find other avenues of servicing if needed.

I don’t know know Jim personally…but he’s aided me with (3) purchases over the years (WOW1, SILK monitors, & the Encore 3s). He was patient, listened to my concerns, & even gave me service advice. We’re losing craftsmen & artisans that make products that are well built. We’re losing the people who have the capacity to provide service with humanity. It’s all boiling down to what’s the cheapest thing that one can afford…& anything that may stretch a wallet is scorned. I have value pieces in my set up. There’s room for both.

Anyway…I by no means meant to drag down this forum with garbage. I apologize to all if my response/exchange dampened the room (no pun intended) to what is otherwise a productive exchange between owners of Salk Speakers….& we cannot exclude the amazing crossover work by Dennis Murphy. I’m thankful there were and are people out there who are passionate about their work and we get to purchase it…& enjoy it in our homes. It has been therapeutic for me.

Peace to all

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve owned Salk Songtowers and Salk Veracity ST speakers. Both came with MDF plinths, ~1.5” thick, and are painted glossy black. The speakers were shipped without the plinths attached.

Mounting hardware included 4 large hex head lag screws and washers per cabinet. If I remember correctly the screws were 3/8” x 5 or 6”. But I can’t be certain about those dimensions. The hex head fit into a half inch socket wrench. Jim also included directions on to attach the plinths to the bottoms of the cabinets. Everything was pre-drilled and easy to do.

Because the plinths were painted black, it’s possible that the paint has adhered to the cabinet bottom. These plinths, once detached, can easily be sanded and repainted.

These plinths are wider and longer than the base of the speaker cabinets. Being solid MDF, heavy & large, they provide plenty of stability for the speakers. I don’t see any need to replace them with a third-party speaker stand. It’s redundant.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This forum is a public forum that focuses on audio & HT. Many people, both knowledgeable & newbies, read it. Some regulars around here want to see a forum that provides useful info to others. TLS Guy is one of them.

You can buy whatever you like and spend whatever you like. But if you make claims about items that improve the sound quality of your speakers, you will be challenged to provide convincing evidence about it. All I read in your lengthy posts (they were too long to read them all) was that you believe your own opinion is evidence enough. You should not be surprised that you were challenged.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I know one thing, the Salk Sound Towers being the lower of the line sound great. They also do have pretty good specs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis