Salk Sound is closing

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
We are all curious to know if there are magnets in the cabinet. You can find that out very easily.
I'll have to check tonight. I have been cleaning them and listening. Next step.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
It's funny, I have had the same speakers for 12 years and I kept looking for my next pair. Well these came without even thinking about Salk because of the cost. I knew they were good from all the reviews and then listening to these at my son's house. Isn't it fun with new gear?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
We are all curious to know if there are magnets in the cabinet. You can find that out very easily.
I am certain that magnetically attached grill covers were standard in SongTowers. Mine came with them in 2007, the first year they were introduced.
  • My grill frames were made with thin (¼" thick?) press board or plywood, with beveled outer edges, and painted matte black. At some later time, Salk used thicker material (⅜" or ½") because it was sturdier.
  • Four magnets were buried behind the front baffle, and four magnets were in corresponding positions within the grill frame. I think the easiest way to determine exactly where those 4 magnets are located behind the front baffle is to find them with the 4 magnets you buy for each grille from Madisound.
  • In the grill frame, one large oval cutout hole covered all 3 MTM drivers. It was cutout to be a little larger than the diameter of the SEAS ER15 drivers.
  • It was covered with black speaker grill cloth attached in place with a self-sticking adhesive, either contact cement or a spray-on type of cement. Buy grill cloth from Madisound or Parts Express.
I'll post some photos.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I am certain that magnetically attached grill covers were standard in SongTowers. Mine came with them in 2007, the first year they were introduced.
  • My grill frames were made with thin (¼" thick?) press board or plywood, with beveled outer edges, and painted matte black. At some later time, Salk used thicker material (⅜" or ½") because it was sturdier.
  • Four magnets were buried behind the front baffle, and four magnets were in corresponding positions within the grill frame. I think the easiest way to determine exactly where those 4 magnets are located behind the front baffle is to find them with the 4 magnets you buy for each grille from Madisound.
  • In the grill frame, one large oval cutout hole covered all 3 MTM drivers. It was cutout to be a little larger than the diameter of the SEAS ER15 drivers.
  • It was covered with black speaker grill cloth attached in place with a self-sticking adhesive, either contact cement or a spray-on type of cement. Buy grill cloth from Madisound or Parts Express.
I'll post some photos.
You are too cool. Thanks.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You are too cool. Thanks.
Here is the back of one of the grill covers for my Veracity ST speakers. The speaker cabinets are the same 8" width as SongTowers. The magnets are not at all visible. They're buried in the grill frames and in the speaker baffles.
The frames overall are 6¾" wide × 18½" high × ½" thick. It appears to be MDF painted black.
Notice that the top is flat, and the bottom is slightly rounded.
Let me know if you want other photo views or details.
1694633112395.png

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
Here is the back of one of the grill covers for my Veracity ST speakers. The speaker cabinets are the same 8" width as SongTowers. The magnets are not at all visible. They're buried in the grill frames and in the speaker baffles.
The frames overall are 6¾" wide × 18½" high × ½" thick. It appears to be MDF painted black.
Notice that the top is flat, and the bottom is slightly rounded.
Let me know if you want other photo views or details.
View attachment 63367
That gives me a good idea. Thanks.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That gives me a good idea. Thanks.
The key thing is to locate exactly where those buried magnets are on the front of your SongTowers. On the grills, drill holes for the magnets so they line up with those on the speakers.

See the fronts of my speakers, without grilles, on post #30 in this thread. There is no visible sign of any of the four magnets.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here is a view of the front of my Veracity ST speaker with grille attached.
1694636045031.png

And here is a view of my old SongTowers, one with grille.
1694636265836.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I bet those Veracity's sound great.
Yes, they do, without any doubt.

But they are essentially SongTowers with deeper bass and greater clarity & detail in the mid-range & treble. Both speakers were designed by Dennis Murphy and they clearly share his voicing touch which is best heard across the mid-range.

Jim Salk had mentioned that many ST owners (at $2000 per pair) asked him what would $4000 Salk speakers sound like? After 9 years with my STs, I was one of them ;). They were my retirement gift to myself.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
Yes, they do, without any doubt.

But they are essentially SongTowers with deeper bass and greater clarity & detail in the mid-range & treble. Both speakers were designed by Dennis Murphy and they clearly share his voicing touch which is best heard across the mid-range.

Jim Salk had mentioned that many ST owners (at $2000 per pair) asked him what would $4000 Salk speakers sound like? After 9 years with my STs, I was one of them ;). They were my retirement gift to myself.
My problem listening to the Song Towers was my son got some Song3 Encores. I sat down and listened to them, then took the Song Towers home. Not fair. But it was weird, I have read about the Beryllium tweeters. They just sounded different at first. I am used to soft domes for the last 12 years. I had ribbons before that. They were not bright, buy had a kind of shimmer. They grow on you, just different. Those speakers are incredible. I am happy with mine though.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
There are magnets in the 4 corners on the Song Towers. I tested them.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
There are magnets in the 4 corners on the Song Towers. I tested them.
Whew, I for one feel much better that you don't have to actually drill into the speakers to insert magnets there.

Should be pretty easy to make a grill then. Make sure you use neodymium magnets for attaching it to the speaker.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all your help. I can use what you showed me and look at my son's covers to get a really good idea even if they are a different size. Should not be too hard. Now, I just need time since I still work full time.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
There is a gorgeous pair of SS9s on eBay right now with an upgrade SEAS Excel diamond tweeters. Considering the retail on the tweeters alone it seems like a good deal.

Beautiful work as always.
View attachment 63073
I decided to pick these up. They appear to be exact matches to those that I purchased in 2020, with exception that they have the diamond tweeters. Jim did demo a pair with diamond tweeters when we visited him, so will be excited to get these. Now can have a set with each of our 2 rooms.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I decided to pick these up. They appear to be exact matches to those that I purchased in 2020, with exception that they have the diamond tweeters. Jim did demo a pair with diamond tweeters when we visited him, so will be excited to get these. Now can have a set with each of our 2 rooms.
Congratulations! I really like the 9.5" Satori woofer a lot, having it on the Song 3 Encores V1.5 (have the Satori tweeter not the Transducer Labs, along with the original Eton midrange). Enjoy the new toys...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats! They look really nice. Waterfall bubinga veneer? I'm a little jealous :rolleyes:, but I'll survive.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Good news for those who may be interested plans for Salk speaker cabinets & crossovers, Jim Salk posted this the other day (4 Oct 2023). See post #19 on this page:
We will likely have plans and pre-built crossovers available in the coming months. But I have to find time to do some new drawings and documentation first. I would also like to produce a document spelling out tips, tricks and processes we've learned over the last two decades. This would help even a novice wood-worker produce a great looking and great performing cabinet.

- Jim

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Good news for those who may be interested plans for Salk speaker cabinets & crossovers, Jim Salk posted this the other day (4 Oct 2023). See post #19 on this page:
He hinted to me he may do this! Can't help but wonder what he may charge for plans and such. ;) That BePure3 is a sexy beast!

K

KESM

Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the plinths on the Encore 3’s are replaceable?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis