Rythmik vs Monolith

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
yes, you do. there's no doubt. I just don't see the 12 in subs being able to extend lower like a 15 in driver will. It's one of the reasons though that dual opposing sealed subs was intriguring
Well fwiw I use thre 12’s in my system. I’m good to about 14hz…

Jus sayin…
This is before the house curve. Still, in your small sealed room I think the 212 is a great choice. That’s just my opinion. My personal upgrade path has either fv18’s or devastators, which will probably be the latter since I can customize their size to my room in an architectural way.
Just sayin, I would write of the 12 just because it’s a 12.

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Well fwiw I use thre 12’s in my system. I’m good to about 14hz…

Jus sayin…
This is before the house curve. Still, in your small sealed room I think the 212 is a great choice. That’s just my opinion. My personal upgrade path has either fv18’s or devastators, which will probably be the latter since I can customize their size to my room in an architectural way.
Just sayin, I would write of the 12 just because it’s a 12.
Thank you. That’s pretty impressive. The primary reason these won’t work for me is they’re not going to fit in the space I have allocated for them. They have to go in the front corners and they’re just too tall for my screen. Flipping them on their side won’t work as I have amps to contend with. Just not enough room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you. That’s pretty impressive. The primary reason these won’t work for me is they’re not going to fit in the space I have allocated for them. They have to go in the front corners and they’re just too tall for my screen. Flipping them on their side won’t work as I have amps to contend with. Just not enough room

Gotcha. I wasn’t aware somehow of the height limitations. Makes sense. What’s the max height?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
27 inches is absolute max. Would prefer to be closer to 25

Have you thought of the new RSL 12s? It fits your preffered height. Its a beast performs I'll bet like a PB 3000. And it's only 800 bucks. You could go duals for less than 1 Rythmik FV15 and go quads for around the same price of one Ryhmik FV18.

Also are you wanting only one sub for the room right now or multiples 2 or more?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Arendal deserves a mention in this space as well. Might not be the highest SPL for the dollar, but still excellent performance from very well made subs. Some 1723 2S subs would rock that room. If you want the most SPL for the dollar, nothing can really challenge the Monolith 16". Just be prepared for the weight and size. If it were me, I would also be looking at some Hsu VTF-15h mkIIs as well, still a fabulous sub with outstanding performance.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
27 inches is absolute max. Would prefer to be closer to 25

Also if you're 100% home theater use then ported is the way to go. That's why I love the RSL 12s fits your size requirements is ported but can slam for a really good price

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Also if you're 100% home theater use then ported is the way to go. That's why I love the RSL 12s fits your size requirements is ported but can slam for a really good price
I hadn’t thought about them largely because I don’t want to step down from the 15in driver I have currently, if anything I would want to increase it if possible. That aside it seems as if they don’t support XLR connections which would rule them out but thank you for the suggestion

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Arendal deserves a mention in this space as well. Might not be the highest SPL for the dollar, but still excellent performance from very well made subs. Some 1723 2S subs would rock that room. If you want the most SPL for the dollar, nothing can really challenge the Monolith 16". Just be prepared for the weight and size. If it were me, I would also be looking at some Hsu VTF-15h mkIIs as well, still a fabulous sub with outstanding performance.
Interesting suggestion on the Arendal. That’s a dual opposing design. Similar to what I had suggested with the Rythmik G25.

Now we have stoked the sealed vs ported debate again. I confess I keep leaning towards sealed because of the room gain I expect I will get. If for no other reason because I am getting it from my HSU ULS 15’s today.

Yet people keep steering me towards ported because of my home theater use case.

Of course I could explore perlisten as well I suppose

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dual Opposed Drivers offer no real benefits other than hopefully higher output and a force-cancelling driver motion that should keep a sub from "walking" if driven hard.

Push-Pull designs like the Perlisten offer the same higher output as well as lower distortion because of how the Drivers are installed.

If you have Perlisten money, I would urge you in that direction, or talk to Cody at Harbottle... or Nathan at Funk Audio. ;) I don't think you will find a better Sub than those options, but they cost.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting suggestion on the Arendal. That’s a dual opposing design. Similar to what I had suggested with the Rythmik G25.

Now we have stoked the sealed vs ported debate again. I confess I keep leaning towards sealed because of the room gain I expect I will get. If for no other reason because I am getting it from my HSU ULS 15’s today.

Yet people keep steering me towards ported because of my home theater use case.

Of course I could explore perlisten as well I suppose

Well as an aside. Ported subs will be more efficient and have more output below roughly 35hz than a comparable sealed sub. Room gain also affects ported subs, so the only place sealed is Potentially more affective is below the tune of the ported sub. Considering it can take as many as four sealed subs to equal the ported one at 20hz, it would take at least four sealed, and a helluva lot of power. That means heat, and distortion. Imo NOT a worthy trade for playback of content that is a little sparse. Imo…

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Well as an aside. Ported subs will be more efficient and have more output below roughly 35hz than a comparable sealed sub. Room gain also affects ported subs, so the only place sealed is Potentially more affective is below the tune of the ported sub. Considering it can take as many as four sealed subs to equal the ported one at 20hz, it would take at least four sealed, and a helluva lot of power. That means heat, and distortion. Imo NOT a worthy trade for playback of content that is a little sparse. Imo…
I understand that to be the case. In my current configuration, I am getting ample output from 2 sealed subs. I could add or 3rd or even a 4th and it of course would get better, but I don't feel like I am longing for more output but rather better all around bass across the spectrum.

I am looking for bass you can feel as you enjoy an action movie

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I understand that to be the case. In my current configuration, I am getting ample output from 2 sealed subs. I could add or 3rd or even a 4th and it of course would get better, but I don't feel like I am longing for more output but rather better all around bass across the spectrum.

Well again imo that would dictate ported subs. Your room however is pretty small. Your current subs are pretty good fwiw.
Have you ever measured with rew? What would “better bass” actually mean for you? If it’s just TR, well it’s time for quality ported subs. If you have some peaks and valleys to deal with, then you have more work to do. But still go ported!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Like William said if you want bass you can feel for movies you need to go ported

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Why not just add two more ULS-15s?
Well that is an option certainly but all that will do is add more output. It won’t give me additional extension below below 20hz

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well that is an option certainly but all that will do is add more output. It won’t give me additional extension below below 20hz

Look at the Arendal 1723 1S subs. They have a very gradual roll-off and will net you a deeper response than the ULS-15 subs. You could get three or four of them, and then calibrate with Dirac Bass Control, and, if they are placed well, you would have just about perfect bass to well below 20Hz. Alternatively, if you have room, look at the Hsu VTF-15h mkII, they can be tuned to 16Hz, and two or three will get you bowel-churning deep bass as well as a perfect frequency response with good placement and calibration. Same thing with the Monolith subs, especially the 15".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Well they might in your room with cabin gain help fill out below 20hz, at least a less steep rolloff from a ported sub depending on its tuning point. True, additional same subs won't give additional extension particularly otherwise. Two more could also possibly also help with room modes that your two subs aren't particularly doing. Additional output isn't a main consideration.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis