RX A3080 fades in + out between 9 channel + stereo ITS BACK, doing same thing!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks to everyone. TLS Guy, it seems to be ok in AI mode but I thought that was only for DVD ‘s. I’m going to see if it gets worse with volume increases.

New $2000 units should not do this. One of the reasons I upgraded was I thought it was going to be way better.
I'm not 100% sure exactly what modes you are using. However mulit channel stereo (2 Channel to all speakers) is a very bad idea and a real receiver buster.

I know $2000 sounds, and is a lot of money, but nowhere near enough for all those bells and whistles with a power supply, 11 power amps, HDMI board, complex processors, preamps and software.

Even if you had nothing else, just 11 power amps and PS, that would only be $166 for each item and nothing else. Trust me you can not build quality power supplies and power amps for anything like that money. To do that properly is more like a bill of $15,000. If you add in the rest you are looking at $20,000 and up. So actually that unit is costing about 1/10 of the cost of doing the job properly.

If I were to go out and replace my power amp case it would cost around $11,000 at least. Don't think this does not make a difference as it does in lots of parameters.

These receivers need to be taken out of the hands of the marketers and massively stripped down and simplified for the prices they are asking. If you think I regard the current crop as absolute junk you are correct, because they are.

I think actually this provides a basis for the back to tube brigade, as you can't provide all those useless facilities with tubes, and you are forced into good basic engineering and nothing else.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Increasing volume makes no difference.
So I think that excludes the amps.

This receiver seems to rely quite heavily in AI. This does not really belong in any device for sale at the moment.

It is becoming clear that all applications of AI have been oversold. We are much further away from this revolution than previously thought, driver less cars and all the rest.

How do I know. Follow the money. Investors are running away from anything AI at the moment. The bubble has burst. This is not unusual in new technology developments. We are now entering the phase of sober reassessment.

My considered opinion is that your unit can not deliver what it claims, and the reason is that the technology does not exist to support it.

If you can return it I would, and get something free of anything remotely to do with AI. As I said before I would expect it not to work, and stand by that statement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Whatever anyone thinks of the presence speakers virtual modes, it doesn't seem to be working properly. Return/exchange the unit an option?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Whatever anyone thinks of the presence speakers virtual modes, it doesn't seem to be working properly. Return/exchange the unit an option?
I agree, that unit needs dropping like a hot potato! It should never have been brought to market at this time if ever. I think more likely than not its lofty goals are not reasonable or desirable at any time. This nonsense is a dead end. The way to good realistic and dramatic sound that really move you is good basic engineering with a dose of inspiration.

I'm at our Eagan Townhouse right now watching a performance of Bernstein's "On the Town" from the BBC Proms on the BBC iPlayer. I'm watching and using 2 channel stereo. It is a fairly big room. The system can fill the room and the sound is dramatic and exciting. Everything is balanced as it should be. The BBC engineering is superb and the whole system is founded and well executed basic principles. There are no Eq programs of any type engaged, nor does it need any. In my experience this is the correct path to really good exciting natural sound, not a bunch of mathematical computer algorithms playing fast and loose with phase, time, frequency balance and dynamics. That is a total dead end now and for always.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, that unit needs dropping like a hot potato! It should never have been brought to market at this time if ever. I think more likely than not its lofty goals are not reasonable or desirable at any time. This nonsense is a dead end. The way to good realistic and dramatic sound that really move you is good basic engineering with a dose of inspiration.

I'm at our Eagan Townhouse right now watching a performance of Bernstein's "On the Town" from the BBC Proms on the BBC iPlayer. I'm watching and using 2 channel stereo. It is a fairly big room. The system can fill the room and the sound is dramatic and exciting. Everything is balanced as it should be. The BBC engineering is superb and the whole system is founded and well executed basic principles. There are no Eq programs of any type engaged, nor does it need any. In my experience this is the correct path to really good exciting natural sound, not a bunch of mathematical computer algorithms playing fast and loose with phase, time, frequency balance and dynamics. That is a total dead end now and for always.
What you prefer isn't being discussed, just what the OP prefers and wants to use. A musical like On the Town would send me from the house screaming in any sound mode...just a total dead end in my book that nothing can fix except a toss in the circular bin. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What you prefer isn't being discussed, just what the OP prefers and wants to use. A musical like On the Town would send me from the house screaming in any sound mode...just a total dead end in my book that nothing can fix except a toss in the circular bin. :)
What he may prefer is not deliverable now or ever. The goal as always has to be "The Closest Approach to the Original Sound."

The world is celebrating Lenny's 100th birthday this week, and actually this year. It is leading to a renewed assessment of his work, especially his compositions. Clearly he has been underated as a composer. I think he will stand as not only one of the greatest musicians of the twentieth century, but one of its greatest composers.

The Royal Albert Hall was packed to the rafters and the audience went wild at the end of the performance. I highly doubt a single person left screaming except in delight at the end of the performance.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That AI is a new thing on the x80 series. Hmm wonder if the manual says much on AI or if it can be disabled.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What he may prefer is not deliverable now or ever. The goal as always has to be "The Closest Approach to the Original Sound."

The world is celebrating Lenny's 100th birthday this week, and actually this year. It is leading to a renewed assessment of his work, especially his compositions. Clearly he has been underated as a composer. I think he will stand as not only one of the greatest musicians of the twentieth century, but one of its greatest composers.

The Royal Albert Hall was packed to the rafters and the audience went wild at the end of the performance. I highly doubt a single person left screaming except in delight at the end of the performance.
How would you know what he prefers? You seem stuck on what you prefer.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That AI is a new thing on the x80 series. Hmm wonder if the manual says much on AI or if it can be disabled.
Snakeeyes, I was wondering the same thing if that “AI”. might have some to do with it.

Mike

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Thanks to everyone. TLS Guy, it seems to be ok in AI mode but I thought that was only for DVD ‘s. I’m going to see if it gets worse with volume increases.

New $2000 units should not do this. One of the reasons I upgraded was I thought it was going to be way better.
Maybe you could shoot Gene a email see what he thinks? When I first read Genes review on Yamaha’s 3080 with the “AI” thing I was intrigued about it, plan on getting the A3080.
Now I don’t know, I’m hoping it’s a settings thing or something like that with your AVR.

Mike

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe you could shoot Gene a email see what he thinks? When I first read Genes review on Yamaha’s 3080 with the “AI” thing I was intrigued about it, plan on getting the A3080.
Now I don’t know, I’m hoping it’s a settings thing or something like that with your AVR.

Mike
Might be smart to get the 3070 on sale anyhow. Give the money you save towards Christmas if you don’t care about the price. Or even a 5100 on sale (requires amps).

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Might be smart to get the 3070 on sale anyhow. Give the money you save towards Christmas if you don’t care about the price. Or even a 5100 on sale (requires amps).
Snakeeyes, Good point, I found on the web A3050 going for 1149.00 new. From the 3050 up to the 3070 isn’t much difference. Hoping Good4it, finds a solution, the “AI” real time adjustment for the surround has me very interested in the A3080. “AI” is also available on the a1080, I may just go with that unit.

Mike

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Snakeeyes, Good point, I found on the web A3050 going for 1149.00 new. From the 3050 up to the 3070 isn’t much difference. Hoping Good4it, finds a solution, the “AI” real time adjustment for the surround has me very interested in the A3080. “AI” is also available on the a1080, I may just go with that unit.

Mike
If you go 1080, are you using an external amp?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
That might be a good idea. I am hoping to keep my 3060 for a long time, so obviously I'm a fan of Yamaha. And I don't know if this has anything to do with the OP's issues, but I think they push new models out too quickly. The only difference between the 3060 and 3070 ended up being different DACs. Everything else could be brought up to date via a firmware update. AI may be a useful feature, but I don't know much about it. It sounds like some sort of automatic loudness control, but who knows.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That might be a good idea. I am hoping to keep my 3060 for a long time, so obviously I'm a fan of Yamaha. And I don't know if this has anything to do with the OP's issues, but I think they push new models out too quickly. The only difference between the 3060 and 3070 ended up being different DACs. Everything else could be brought up to date via a firmware update. AI may be a useful feature, but I don't know much about it. It sounds like some sort of automatic loudness control, but who knows.
I am very happy with my 2060. Also my 681 and 770. Thinking there could be something in x80 that might need a firmware patch possibly. Hard to tell though with the OP’s situation. Could be just reset the unit and it goes away.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Well, I’m a little (just a little)red faced. I should have taken the advice I got much earlier.

I just did a major reset and it worked. Been listening now for about 2 hours and everything sounds much better.
It was a lot of work restoring my AVR (still haven’t run RC).

Thanks to all who helped. You guys are nice to have friends like you.

Roger

Ps; still not sure what AI does

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
If you go 1080, are you using an external amp?
Yes I have a 5 channel amp XPA-5, 1st gen. Really don’t need 9 channels, want the flagship for the Saber Pro chip and the “AI” but the 2080 and the 1080 has the AI also.

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Well, I’m a little (just a little)red faced. I should have taken the advice I got much earlier.

I just did a major reset and it worked. Been listening now for about 2 hours and everything sounds much better.
It was a lot of work restoring my AVR (still haven’t run RC).

Thanks to all who helped. You guys are nice to have friends like you.

Roger

Ps; still not sure what AI does
Awesome Roger! Man sure was pulling for you on this. That’s good news to hear!

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis