RX A3080 fades in + out between 9 channel + stereo ITS BACK, doing same thing!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m retired, here EVERYDAY;-) BTW Thanks for the support. Also want to say thanks to everyone who posted.
Thank us with a short few sentences review of the 3080? Nobody else has really commented on them. Certainly no one with BMRs :)

So do you crossover to the PB2000 sub at 80hz on the Yamaha with the BMR fronts? Lower?

How does the 1050 with the emotiva amp compare with the 3080 by itself? Or do you still use the emo with the 3080?

:)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m retired, here EVERYDAY;-) BTW Thanks for the support. Also want to say thanks to everyone who posted.
I would get rid of those virtual channels. That it seems to me is asking for trouble and a real mess. I would just expect trouble from that.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Early report; cross over at 80hz just like the 1050, and the extra 40amps are just what BMRs needed. Had 150 amps with the Emotiva but speakers sound different with 9 channels, better. The 3080 has more....oomph. (Is that a word?) Using Mini Monitors from Dennis for the rears and even they sound better.

Added; trying 60hz front and rear
More later.

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I would get rid of those virtual channels. That it seems to me is asking for trouble and a real mess. I would just expect trouble from that.

For now virtual speakes is all I have and NO wires. That makes the wife/one who owns 1\2 of everything happy.

I’ve heard “If it has tits or tires you’re going to have trouble with it” Maybe we should add Treble :eek:

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
NO RESPONSE from Yamaha Support guess they are not there Friday.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Fades in and out only in 9 channel mode and on TV reception or music input. Doesn’t do it in any other surrounding mode. Hooked it up to one of Google Mesh units with a Ethernet cable (closest I could get to a direct connection) and it still did it in 9 channel mode only. Both in streaming and Tv mode.

Played the only music dvd I have and didn’t hear it. I’m beginning to believe it a fault with 9 channel in the AVR.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Fades in and out only in 9 channel mode and on TV reception or music input. Doesn’t do it in any other surrounding mode.
So this fading effect only occurs when using DSP VIRTUAL speaker mode.

The other Surround modes are using the 3 real actual speakers, not Virtual speakers, correct?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
So this fading effect only occurs when using DSP VIRTUAL speaker mode.

The other Surround modes are using the 3 real actual speakers, not Virtual speakers, correct?

OTHER 5 speakers. 2 front, 2rears and 1 center. It only happens in 9 channel mode and its getting worse. With/without virtual speakers . All speaker channels are affected.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Right now I’m watching Indy car race in 9 channel and it’s not fading in and out. This thing is driving me crazy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I sure would like to. This fading is the only thing I’ve found so far. Yamaha should send me a new one and I’d send this one back.
Might be the same with the next one....could be combo of stream/compression effects and the software? Then again why use this 9ch mode? You okay with the pandora app now, too? :)

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
9 channel sounds great that’s why! It does not seem to be streaming but the 9ch mode._

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
9 channel sounds great that’s why! It does not seem to be streaming but the 9ch mode._
I highly doubt that. I can't imagine anything great coming out of that toxic witch's brew other than a dreadful cacophony.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
5 speakers. 2 front, 2rears and 1 center. It only happens in 9 channel mode...
Okay. You have 5 actual speakers.

In 5Ch mode using only the 5 actual real speakers, everything works great.

The issue is only with the 9CH VIRTUAL DSP mode, which uses DSP to create the other 4 Virtual speakers.

So the culprit is the lousy DSP modes (specifically the 9CH Virtual DSP Mode),which is why most of us hate DSP.

I wish Yamaha would get rid these million DSP modes from all AVP and AVR because these DSP modes belong in my Yamaha Karaoke mixer. :D

I do love my Yamaha DSP mixer, but it’s meant for Karaoke singing, not for serious audiophile-grade AVR and especially separates Pre-Pro.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Okay. You have 5 actual speakers.

In 5Ch mode, everything works great.

The issue is only with the 9CH VIRTUAL DSP mode, which uses DSP to create the other 4 Virtual speakers.

So the culprit is the lousy DSP modes (specifically the 9CH Virtual DSP Mode),which is why most of us hate DSP.

I wish Yamaha would get rid these million DSP modes that belong in Karaoke machines. :D
Are you talking about the 9ch Stereo DSP? My understanding is this just takes the stereo source and maps it to the speakers you have. For my 2060, that is the center fronts and sides since I have a 5.1 setup. I don’t think there are any virtual speakers involved. It just means if I had the other speakers it would map that stereo source to all 9.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you talking about the 9ch Stereo DSP? My understanding is this just takes the stereo source and maps it to the speakers you have. For my 2060, that is the center fronts and sides since I have a 5.1 setup. I don’t think there are any virtual speakers involved. It just means if I had the other speakers it would map that stereo source to all 9.
I’m definitely a stranger to these DSP modes because I never use them.

I was saying “Virtual” because Roger (Good4it) mentioned it. :D

So it seems the Yamaha 9CH DSP Mode is pathetic.

If there’s no Virtual Speakers, then there is no point of using this 9CH DSP Mode.

Just use the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) for music. It takes 2CH source and upmix to all the speakers. I think Gene says to turn on the Center Spread for music?

Or did Yamaha update it so now we have both Dolby Surround Cinema DSU and Dolby Surround Music DSU?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Sounds right and it affects ALL channels when it happens. It makes the output of all speakers lose almost all volume for 1 to 2 seconds then back to normal volume. It does this no matter what the input is as long as it’s in 9ch mode.

It’s a big deal to me because 9ch sounds so good. No one should have a expensive brand new unit with faults. If it cannot be fixed via a software update they should send a brand new one and after it gets here the bad one will be returned. That way I won’t be without it for anymore then a day. Sending it Back will be tough enough for me.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis