REW and dual subwoofer calibration help?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Uummm...not easier unless you know what you’re doing lol. It CAN make your calibration more effective. Ypao will help get you close. Then you should be able to tweak phase and distance in the AVR. Not saying you shouldn’t get a minidsp/umik-1, BUT it might behoove you to spend some time learning about subwoofer placement(first rule) and fundamentals etc. Then you can tweak with purpose!!! Lol

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Haha I’m pretty good with the standard set up!!! I ran yapo first and then adjusted everything with my spl meter. Yapo through my distance off pretty good I used the old fashion tape measure and set all my distances myself then pretty much the standard stuff looked up my speaker crossover frequencies and set that properly and all speakers set to small. My room won’t allow any other sub placement so I’m I gotta work with what I got but I have them both next to my front speakers!!! I set my avr at 0 dB for my subs then adjusted the knobs on the back and used the spl meter to try to match them as close as possible. I set them each for 75 dB so their probably a little too bassy plus I feel REW will give me closer measurements to really match them!!! The mini dsp do you need to buy and connections for it or does it come with everything?

L

latteDev

Audiophyte
EQing the relative frequencies is nothing that ears can do.
False, every piece of sound you listen to over this medium, is done originally by the sound engineer who is recording that sound.

You are missing the point by measuring everything to the nth degree, the biggest factor is the persons ears that is listening to that sound and everyone, bar none, has a different perception of sound. Be that frequency or level and even your body mass dictates how bass is perceived.

With a DSP it all depends on what you want. A 40 bit DSP with a 24 bit AD/DA converter usually with a FIR filter (finite impulse response) is pretty common in recording studios, which if you are hell bent on measuring everything is what you should be aiming for.

A couple here going from the cheaper side, https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Loudspeaker-Management/DCX2496/p/P0B6H#googtrans(en|en)
to the not so cheap : https://www.studiomaster.com/processors-regulators/ac/

Alternatively just go for Creative, who has been doing sound cards for a while now.

If you really want to take this to the nth degree, go and get your ears measured by an audiometrics company too,
Mind you I think this comment may fall on deaf ears :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
False, every piece of sound you listen to over this medium, is done originally by the sound engineer who is recording that sound.

You are missing the point by measuring everything to the nth degree, the biggest factor is the persons ears that is listening to that sound and everyone, bar none, has a different perception of sound. Be that frequency or level and even your body mass dictates how bass is perceived.

With a DSP it all depends on what you want. A 40 bit DSP with a 24 bit AD/DA converter usually with a FIR filter (finite impulse response) is pretty common in recording studios, which if you are hell bent on measuring everything is what you should be aiming for.

A couple here going from the cheaper side, https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Loudspeaker-Management/DCX2496/p/P0B6H#googtrans(en|en)
to the not so cheap : https://www.studiomaster.com/processors-regulators/ac/

Alternatively just go for Creative, who has been doing sound cards for a while now.

If you really want to take this to the nth degree, go and get your ears measured by an audiometrics company too,
Mind you I think this comment may fall on deaf ears :)
False? Sound engineering may be done by ear, may be. but not in your room, so not false. This isn't my first rodeo. Post production of movies is different from music to start with. Good to see you have enthusiasm, but jumping into a thread with claims "false" is a poor way to start.

The minidsp mentioned has all the capabilities needed and adequate for handling any filters

If you want to EQ by ear by all means go for it. Carry on.

L

latteDev

Audiophyte
False? Sound engineering may be done by ear, may be. but not in your room, so not false. This isn't my first rodeo. Post production of movies is different from music to start with. Good to see you have enthusiasm, but jumping into a thread with claims "false" is a poor way to start.

The minidsp mentioned has all the capabilities needed and adequate for handling any filters

If you want to EQ by ear by all means go for it. Carry on.
Given that sound both in film and audio is still carried out by ear, then it is still false. Your room has its own particular acoustic properties, which unlike a studio, unless custom built, has many variables. You could of course use many instruments to determine the room acoustics and use phase and time delays to correct for anomalies if you like, but at the end of the day it is all down to the person who is listening to the media as to the amount and type of EQ used. No this isn't my first rodeo either.

In any professional situation you use your ears as a first step then utilize instrumentation to get the best effect.

No idea why you keep plugging minidsp, when there are so many other DSP's that will do the task.Is there any reason that makes them especially good ?

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
You guys are confusing haha all I want to do is match my subs and make sure my system sounds good I understand everyone has their own adjustments and may set their system by ear. I just want to start my systems sound to fit my room and if I feel it needs a little more bass or small adjustment I’ll will do that part myself. I’m just totally new to REW and heard its best to closely match and level your speakers and subs without hiring someone. I just wanted to understand what I need for it and how to use it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Given that sound both in film and audio is still carried out by ear, then it is still false. Your room has its own particular acoustic properties, which unlike a studio, unless custom built, has many variables. You could of course use many instruments to determine the room acoustics and use phase and time delays to correct for anomalies if you like, but at the end of the day it is all down to the person who is listening to the media as to the amount and type of EQ used. No this isn't my first rodeo either.

In any professional situation you use your ears as a first step then utilize instrumentation to get the best effect.

No idea why you keep plugging minidsp, when there are so many other DSP's that will do the task.Is there any reason that makes them especially good ?
If your goal is a flat response in room, with a slight rise in low bass, your ear won't get you there. I've owned many EQs, including the DCX, none are as easy and flexible than the minidsp, especially at the price. With out proper room measurements you have no idea what's going on, stop dismissing that.

I have no idea why your plugging soundcards.

Stop hijacking a productive thread.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You guys are confusing haha all I want to do is match my subs and make sure my system sounds good I understand everyone has their own adjustments and may set their system by ear. I just want to start my systems sound to fit my room and if I feel it needs a little more bass or small adjustment I’ll will do that part myself. I’m just totally new to REW and heard its best to closely match and level your speakers and subs without hiring someone. I just wanted to understand what I need for it and how to use it.
Start with REW so you can get an overall picture of what's going on. Don't worry about the next step untill it is needed.

Good luck and post questions, and don't forget to enjoy your system.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Having went down this rabbit hole a few times, I found that this set up procedure from Mark Seaton worked wonders. That is to do an initial smoothing with REW MiniDSP, then run YPAO/Audyssey/Diract etc then correct any dips with distance correction (in REW/MiniDSP), or modest EQ application. You'll find this more or less spelled out in steps 6-11; there's more to do before, and after though.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Having went down this rabbit hole a few times, I found that this set up procedure from Mark Seaton worked wonders. That is to do an initial smoothing with REW MiniDSP, then run YPAO/Audyssey/Diract etc then correct any dips with distance correction (in REW/MiniDSP), or modest EQ application. You'll find this more or less spelled out in steps 6-11; there's more to do before, and after though.

Mark turned me on to the Linkwitz Transform for sealed subs which I applied to my Epiks after amp failure. He does get hands on with some installs and knows a lot.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Do the homework. There's a lot to learn and getting set up will take a little effort. I've realized some great results using REW and a MiniDSP 2x4.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
The thing with my subs is I can’t place them anywhere else I have no other place that they will fit and be out of the way. I have each sub next to my front speakers!!! Will I still be able to get good measurements in these positions? I know placement and the room changes sound completely.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The thing with my subs is I can’t place them anywhere else I have no other place that they will fit and be out of the way. I have each sub next to my front speakers!!! Will I still be able to get good measurements in these positions? I know placement and the room changes sound completely.
My subs are up front with my speakers and it's working for me. Bottom line, you won't know until you dig in.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The measurements are not dependent on placement of subs and since you are restricted with placement, just start taking them.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
How do you hook up a mini dsp? Does it hook from your laptop to the receiver or does it go straight to the subwoofers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How do you hook up a mini dsp? Does it hook from your laptop to the receiver or does it go straight to the subwoofers?
The final chain is inline from the avr to the sub. The setup it's connected to the laptop.

L

latteDev

Audiophyte
If your goal is a flat response in room, with a slight rise in low bass, your ear won't get you there. I've owned many EQs, including the DCX, none are as easy and flexible than the minidsp, especially at the price. With out proper room measurements you have no idea what's going on, stop dismissing that.

I have no idea why your plugging soundcards.

Stop hijacking a productive thread.
Firstly I am not hijacking anything and secondly I had not mentioned sound cards other than the DSP made by others as an alternative, given you merely stated that the minidsp was best, with nothing to back that up.

I was trying originally to answer Polish023 question, by stating use your ears to start with, given that your ears are what you will be listening to the media with.

Having your bass/subs under your speakers is fine, but it all depends on if you have them on the floor or not and what that floor is made from. Don't forget bass is not directional as such so where you have them is not that important in a house.
What type of sub is it ?
Is it a downward facing reflex speaker or is it a forward facing reflex ?
Is it carpeted or hard floor ?

All these things will create a different sound and it would be best to ask others what experience they have had with the different materials used. I have seen many different systems used by different people, who in the end, tweak the system to how they like the sound. This even goes to raising a sub further away from the floor to alter the tone.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
The final chain is inline from the avr to the sub. The setup it's connected to the laptop.
Ah so you take measurements then hook up the mini dsp so it can eq everything then you connect it between the sub and receiver to run the bass integration? Do you need any cables to hook it up or does it come with everything?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Firstly I am not hijacking anything and secondly I had not mentioned sound cards other than the DSP made by others as an alternative, given you merely stated that the minidsp was best, with nothing to back that up.

I was trying originally to answer Polish023 question, by stating use your ears to start with, given that your ears are what you will be listening to the media with.

Having your bass/subs under your speakers is fine, but it all depends on if you have them on the floor or not and what that floor is made from. Don't forget bass is not directional as such so where you have them is not that important in a house.
What type of sub is it ?
Is it a downward facing reflex speaker or is it a forward facing reflex ?
Is it carpeted or hard floor ?

All these things will create a different sound and it would be best to ask others what experience they have had with the different materials used. I have seen many different systems used by different people, who in the end, tweak the system to how they like the sound. This even goes to raising a sub further away from the floor to alter the tone.
I never stated it was the best. I stated that it has the most features at its price.

There is reason it was mentioned in the first place, a lot of us use them. As stated I've used others so I have a pretty good idea what's available.

The purpose of my discussion was about EQing below the Schroeder frequency.
That's were the room is interacting the most.
His subs were stated in the beginning FWIW.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis