Revel and Dynaudio thoughts

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Ha ha..... not loud at all. Here is the strange issue. I hooked them back up for a last listen last night. For 4 hours straight, I had no issue . Whatttt??? Weird. Now what?
You hooked them up? As in reconnected them? If so, the problem may have been nothing more than a bad connection.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
You hooked them up? As in reconnected them? If so, the problem may have been nothing more than a bad connection.
Correct. I was running my Kef’s for the last few days. Moved the Revels back into the system and did not experience any issues.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Correct. I was running my Kef’s for the last few days. Moved the Revels back into the system and did not experience any issues.
With your kind of luck (Paraound Halo), who knows?

Did you notice any loose speaker wires when you disconnected the Revel after you heard the distortion?

Could just be your speaker cables.

Could be loose wiring inside the speakers.

How many more days do you have left on your free trial? Better give them plenty of listening time just to make sure you don't have the problem again.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I seem to have really bad luck with my gear. Anyways. I have some time. I’m going back today to listen to the Monitor Audio Gold 300 as well. I wish I could dona side by side with the MA 300 and the Dynaudio X44. I think both are fantastic but opinions on the Net always sway towards the Dynaudio. Some say for the lack of anything audio but where they are made. In house or China for the Monitors.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So I packed these beast up and took them downstairs and thought. I’m not getting another set of 80lb towers. I’m to old for this and my music room is upstairs. So. Maybe a great bookshelf and two subs would do the trick. I wouldn’t need help. Just so heavy and cumbersome to move. Well ... the new Revel performs Be is there for grabs at my local store soon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I packed these beast up and took them downstairs and thought. I’m not getting another set of 80lb towers. I’m to old for this and my music room is upstairs. So. Maybe a great bookshelf and two subs would do the trick. I wouldn’t need help. Just so heavy and cumbersome to move. Well ... the new Revel performs Be is there for grabs at my local store soon.
Dunno about that....my subs are heavier than my towers....and not as easy to pick up :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Dunno about that....my subs are heavier than my towers....and not as easy to pick up :)
Yeah. At least my SVS sub isn’t to bad at all. I don’t need a huge sub since this is audio only. In fact the REL and the JL 10in sub pair would do the trick. But then again this SVS is pretty dam good for 300 bucks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. At least my SVS sub isn’t to bad at all. I don’t need a huge sub since this is audio only. In fact the REL and the JL 10in sub pair would do the trick. But then again this SVS is pretty dam good for 300 bucks.
I'd rather have better subs than not, even for "music"

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'd rather have better subs than not, even for "music"
Of course. A sealed sub with a tone of punch is important. But that seemless integration is so much more important to me now. Really trying to dial everything in these days.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on the Revel's, assuming you're still keeping them !

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Oh...tough luck...the 208s are nice speakers..when they work properly.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Yeah. Can’t play them when they won’t play.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Yeah, it's amazing how speakers don't play when they're apparently not connected correctly.
What? Are you saying I connected incorrectly? Wouldn’t send two 92 lb boxes back in exchange if that were the case.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
What? Are you saying I connected incorrectly? Wouldn’t send two 92 lb boxes back in exchange if that were the case.
Yes. You basically said that in post #83. When you hooked them up again they worked perfectly. That wouldn't have happened unless you connected them incorrectly.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Yeah well the outcome didn’t favor me. It started again. I switched out my amplifier and it still did it. Would have been nice if it was just an error on my side.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah well the outcome didn’t favor me. It started again. I switched out my amplifier and it still did it. Would have been nice if it was just an error on my side.
I figured you, like the rest of us, wouldn’t have made such a rookie mistake like not being able to connect some Banana plugs. We could do that in our sleep. And most of us double and triple check without even thinking about it.

So I figured there has to be something wrong internally that causes intermittent distortion.

Definitely not the first, second, or even third time I’ve heard something went wrong with these speakers. I think it’s either poor quality control or very poor packaging.

Are they Double-Boxed?

They just don’t make them like they used to, as the cliche goes. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you ever compare the Ascend and RBH towers to the Revel, especially after the Expectation Effect/ Honeymoon Effect was over? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis