Revel and Dynaudio thoughts

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah well the outcome didn’t favor me. It started again. I switched out my amplifier and it still did it. Would have been nice if it was just an error on my side.
That tweeter must be getting intermittent gap rub, most likely due to a bad suspension of the VC.

With your luck, I strongly recommend you follow through and get the Dynaudio speakers. Dynaudio drivers are superbly made.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
FR alone as a guide to whether a speaker is any good by no means tells the whole story. If the FR is bad it will not be a good speaker. However if the FR is good it does not mean it will be a good speaker.

The quality of the drivers matters. Tang Band drivers are close to junk category. Making a really good motor system is a complex task. Most fall well short of the mark. I select only the finest drivers. There is a lot that goes into these drivers that I have posted about often. Bass extension is not the whole story, though important. The bigger issue is linear power handling in the bass/tenor range above sub range. That is that crucial band where the vast majority of speakers fall way short of the mark. That is the major power band range, not the sub. There are actually few manufacturers who build drivers that can cut it in this range.

Dynaudio were founded on the premise of building drivers with superb motor systems. They do not disappoint.

The fact is that Ascend speakers are toys against a Dynaudio speaker.

As I keep repeating adding a sub to an anemic sounding speaker does not make for good sound or an adequate system. A speaker system must be highly listenable without the addition of a sub. Of all the speakers the sub IS THE MOST DISPENSABLE. Most of what is posted here about the need for subs is just arrant nonsense.

Lastly I have a bias to Dynaudios as the two manufacturers that voice speakers closest to mine are Dynaudio and Spendor. I highly recommend both.
Hey TLS guy. I see you love the Dynaudio drivers. How do you feel about Focal drivers. I know they are all in house and not for DYI. Just curious on your thoughts.
And by the way. My final decision was Dynaudio Excite X44

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hey TLS guy. I see you love the Dynaudio drivers. How do you feel about Focal drivers. I know they are all in house and not for DYI. Just curious on your thoughts.
And by the way. My final decision was Dynaudio Excite X44
Well as with Dynaudio, their drivers are not available to the DIY builder/designer.

They used to be, and I sourced a Focal driver for the design I won the national Audiophile Sound Off with. It was MTM using a Dynaudio D21 horn loaded tweeter.

I was listening to them last week when I replaced my sons blown up Sony receiver with Quad electronics. A well as being accurate speakers, they produce an astonishing degree of clean bass and my son does not feel a sub is in any way warranted, and I agree.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Late to the party but I'll chime in as I know both lives very well and have owned.
I think the Revels would be a better theater choice over the Dynaudio Excites due to the unusual lack luster theater experience from that line. I use to own the last version in the Audience series I had the flagship setup with the Audience 82's as my main channel speakers running off a 200 watt per channel Rotel RMB1095 power amp.
The Revel F series on the other hand has a better dynamic to it. Much more life for theater. I love dynaudio for music but for movies I was always underwhelmed and with all the other lines as well. I've done them with Krell mono blocks and still the sheer impact always seems to be soft and comfortable instead of punching you in the chest. I use to switch to B&W to get more of a theater experience.
If you want pure musical speakers then the Dynaudio lines are unbelievable which on one hand makes no sense as music is also dynamic. I think movies are way more dynamic and takes a special kind of speaker to play such force. JBL synthesis systems are a very good example of this. The Revel speakers are a nice balance of music and movies and a very good universal style speaker. Personally I like them better for those reasons and would own them myself if I didn't LOVE my Def Tech Mythos system I currently have. But you never know I keep thinking about them as well as Monitor audio.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Late to the party but I'll chime in as I know both lives very well and have owned.
I think the Revels would be a better theater choice over the Dynaudio Excites due to the unusual lack luster theater experience from that line. I use to own the last version in the Audience series I had the flagship setup with the Audience 82's as my main channel speakers running off a 200 watt per channel Rotel RMB1095 power amp.
The Revel F series on the other hand has a better dynamic to it. Much more life for theater. I love dynaudio for music but for movies I was always underwhelmed and with all the other lines as well. I've done them with Krell mono blocks and still the sheer impact always seems to be soft and comfortable instead of punching you in the chest. I use to switch to B&W to get more of a theater experience.
If you want pure musical speakers then the Dynaudio lines are unbelievable which on one hand makes no sense as music is also dynamic. I think movies are way more dynamic and takes a special kind of speaker to play such force. JBL synthesis systems are a very good example of this. The Revel speakers are a nice balance of music and movies and a very good universal style speaker. Personally I like them better for those reasons and would own them myself if I didn't LOVE my Def Tech Mythos system I currently have. But you never know I keep thinking about them as well as Monitor audio.
"Makes no sense" is the only credible statement in that post. None of what you wrote makes sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis