Revel and Dynaudio thoughts

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Good to know. I have seen some bad reviews on their X14 book shelf. Is this true? Most everything I read is very positive.
Having heard them in the wild, I'd be interested in knowing how they were set up. Even in a kitchen cabinet or sitting on the floor, they sound good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean this- "These fully-curved enclosures are inherently stiffer than conventional box shapes and are formed with contiguous wood layers that prevent splitting."?

First, curved panels that are attached firmly to others as a unit will be inherently strong but contiguous wood layers? That sounds like another way to describe plywood which, as a speaker enclosure material, is perfectly fine. However, if it can't be seen, why bother using exotic wood? I have no problem with plywood or MDF used as cabinet materials and even particle board is very sturdy, as long as it's sealed and can't absorb moisture.

FWIW, I liked the Revels I have heard and don't mean to sound critical of their materials in any way. I also don't know why they needed to use Italian cabinetmakers- the US has plenty of them.
I've not heard the phrase "contiguous wood" before. My first thought was plywood but I dunno. I figure the actual pretty wood is merely a veneer in any case. I guess the Italian thing appeals to those seeking speakers that are more furniture than speakers?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You mean this- "These fully-curved enclosures are inherently stiffer than conventional box shapes and are formed with contiguous wood layers that prevent splitting."?

First, curved panels that are attached firmly to others as a unit will be inherently strong but contiguous wood layers? That sounds like another way to describe plywood which, as a speaker enclosure material, is perfectly fine. However, if it can't be seen, why bother using exotic wood? I have no problem with plywood or MDF used as cabinet materials and even particle board is very sturdy, as long as it's sealed and can't absorb moisture.

FWIW, I liked the Revels I have heard and don't mean to sound critical of their materials in any way. I also don't know why they needed to use Italian cabinetmakers- the US has plenty of them.
Yes, but the Eurozone internal devaluations plague South MED and drive down wages to abject poverty. On top of that Italians are very fine craftsmen.

highfigh

highfigh

I've not heard the phrase "contiguous wood" before. My first thought was plywood but I dunno. I figure the actual pretty wood is merely a veneer in any case. I guess the Italian thing appeals to those seeking speakers that are more furniture than speakers?
It's basically saying the layers are connected, like 'contiguous United States' means 'mainland'.

Speakers ARE furniture. They can make as much of a statement as anything, really. It doesn't help the sound but it makes the whole package nicer.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Not to change the subject but besides here on this site, where is the best place to sell my audio gear? I used eBay way back but the last time I used them about 8 months ago, the fees were crazy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's basically saying the layers are connected, like 'contiguous United States' means 'mainland'.

Speakers ARE furniture. They can make as much of a statement as anything, really. It doesn't help the sound but it makes the whole package nicer.
Yes, I know what contiguous means. Just never heard the phrase "contiguous wood" describing a speaker cabinet, and it still is vague. Sounds like the marketing department's creative writing rather than an explanation of it's manufacturing process.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
My guess is that they mean the veneer is either one big piece or adjacent pieces from the same wood, so that there aren't visible seams where different pieces of veneer are put on next to each other.

But the only time I saw any of them in person, the room was too dark to really tell much about the veneer.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Yes, I know what contiguous means. Just never heard the phrase "contiguous wood" describing a speaker cabinet, and it still is vague. Sounds like the marketing department's creative writing rather than an explanation of it's manufacturing process.
That was a first for me, too. My Technical Writing teacher told us that big words don't impress anyone in our prospective fields and called the ratio of words with more than three syllables:total 'the fog index'.

Good guy- he also told us in advance when he would be having car trouble, so we wouldn't bother going to class.

highfigh

highfigh

Not to change the subject but besides here on this site, where is the best place to sell my audio gear? I used eBay way back but the last time I used them about 8 months ago, the fees were crazy.
Craig's List (here, anyway) has a large number of ads for AV gear- it's up to you whether you want strangers in any part of your home and they'll probably want to demo whatever they're buying.

Maybe someone should open a store for people selling this way, for a nominal fee.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Craig's List (here, anyway) has a large number of ads for AV gear- it's up to you whether you want strangers in any part of your home and they'll probably want to demo whatever they're buying.

Maybe someone should open a store for people selling this way, for a nominal fee.
Craigs list. Haven't used them since I had a crazy guy come to my house when I was selling my drum set.:D I am going to start here first and then see what happens. Thanks

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I too have liked every current model Revel speaker I've heard. (I admit that I wasn't completely satisfied when I heard the old Salon1, though I thought its build quality was exemplary.) However, I think Revel's cabinet *finish* quality is a step or two lower than Dynaudio's, B&W's (at least their 800 series), and KEF (at similar price points). The Revel cabinetry always seems rock solid, and definitely designed for function over style, but when looking closely I'm always thinking, even on the Salon2s, that for a few more dollars they could have produced something that produced better look and feel.

highfigh

highfigh

I too have liked every current model Revel speaker I've heard. (I admit that I wasn't completely satisfied when I heard the old Salon1, though I thought its build quality was exemplary.) However, I think Revel's cabinet *finish* quality is a step or two lower than Dynaudio's, B&W's (at least their 800 series), and KEF (at similar price points). The Revel cabinetry always seems rock solid, and definitely designed for function over style, but when looking closely I'm always thinking, even on the Salon2s, that for a few more dollars they could have produced something that produced better look and feel.
Another brand that may not be for everyone, but are very interesting- Sonus Faber. I know someone who has a shop here and the main system, which can be reconfigured to include anything they sell, has a big pair of those fed by Audio Research preamp and power amp with who knows which AudioQuest cables and I have to say it really sounds good. It should, the preamp, power amp and speakers list for at least $40K as a group.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Anyone have thoughts on my Ascend RAAL towers when comparing them to the Dynaudio Excite 38. The Dynaudio are a grand more than my Ascends. Would they really sound that much better? Wish I could hear them side by side. Every time I brought a speaker home and compared them to my Ascends nothing sounded as clear and open. Not even my Kef LS 50..

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Had a chance to hear both of these at a local Hifi store in Orlando this weekend.
Revel Performa3 F206 and the Dynaudio Excite 38. Both were very impressive. I couldn’t narrow down either one if I was to purchase. The Excite’s seemed a little warmer and maybe more enjoyable. The Revels maybe a bit more acurate. The Dynaudio are a little more expensive and the Revel are made of real wood. This would be a hard decision if it came down to these. If compared to my Ascends by memory the Revels had the clear top end but more low end than the Ascends. The Dynaudio a bit more exciting. No pun intended. Any thoughts on the two???
No help on the Excites, but I echo the reputation being good.

On the Revels...I've spent a lot of time with the f208 and sometime with the f206, both in 2.0 mode.

The F208 can go 2.0 in a midsize room no problem, the bass is that good...the f206 would need a sub imo, but could very well sound as good...iirc they have the same tweeter/midrange drivers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Anyone have thoughts on my Ascend RAAL towers when comparing them to the Dynaudio Excite 38. The Dynaudio are a grand more than my Ascends. Would they really sound that much better? Wish I could hear them side by side. Every time I brought a speaker home and compared them to my Ascends nothing sounded as clear and open. Not even my Kef LS 50..
That really is an impossible question to answer on a forum.

I have called you out before about your penchant for changing equipment like shirts.

The key to satisfaction is to really try and pick the right gear and keep it long term. That is especially true of speakers.

You seem to really like the Ascends, so why do you want to change them? What is it the bugs to the point you think you need to change speakers?

The Ascends are almost certainly a long way from the worst speakers around.

My hunch is that you will have to climb a lot higher up the speaker ladder to get a big improvement.

Your other option is to seriously think about designing and building your own speakers.

There are an abundance of good drivers out there now, not cheap but much cheaper than paying someone else to build the speaker, ship it and add mark ups. The other thing is you can continually tweak them and improve them over time without replacing the speaker unless it is a complete dog.

To me you seem like someone who needs to take the plunge and progressing to builds that will really satisfy you.

The Dynaudio drivers are not available, but in a sense they are. There was a falling out of the founders of Dynaudio in the eighties. The result was that both parties got the right to their novel driver technology. The other party makes OEM drivers with those massive motor system,VC winding technology and cone technology. The firm is Morel. These drivers are very good like the Dynaudio and designing crossovers is a breeze and the acoustic roll off of these drivers means most of the work is done for you already. I think that is one of the reasons Dynaudio speakers sound so good as the crossovers are simple and low order. That means they do not muck up the time domain nearly as badly as other speakers do.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That really is an impossible question to answer on a forum.

I have called you out before about your penchant for changing equipment like shirts.

The key to satisfaction is to really try and pick the right gear and keep it long term. That is especially true of speakers.

You seem to really like the Ascends, so why do you want to change them? What is it the bugs to the point you think you need to change speakers?

The Ascends are almost certainly a long way from the worst speakers around.

My hunch is that you will have to climb a lot higher up the speaker ladder to get a big improvement.

Your other option is to seriously think about designing and building your own speakers.

There are an abundance of good drivers out there now, not cheap but much cheaper than paying someone else to build the speaker, ship it and add mark ups. The other thing is you can continually tweak them and improve them over time without replacing the speaker unless it is a complete dog.

To me you seem like someone who needs to take the plunge and progressing to builds that will really satisfy you.

The Dynaudio drivers are not available, but in a sense they are. There was a falling out of the founders of Dynaudio in the eighties. The result was that both parties got the right to their novel driver technology. The other party makes OEM drivers with those massive motor system,VC winding technology and cone technology. The firm is Morel. These drivers are very good like the Dynaudio and designing crossovers is a breeze and the acoustic roll off of these drivers means most of the work is done for you already. I think that is one of the reasons Dynaudio speakers sound so good as the crossovers are simple and low order. That means they do not muck up the time domain nearly as badly as other speakers do.
I think some people just like buying new things, the lure of the promise of a better experience no matter how irrational it really is. I would say, just get a speaker that has a neutral response with uniform off-axis dispersion and adequate dynamic range, and if you want a new 'speaker,' just EQ that one that you already have. Most of the differences between any of these speakers will likely be due to variations in frequency response, and that can be changed with equalization. If you are actually after a better experience instead of a shiny new thing, don't buy a new speaker, just get a copy of Dirac Live.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think some people just like buying new things, the lure of the promise of a better experience no matter how irrational it really is. I would say, just get a speaker that has a neutral response with uniform off-axis dispersion and adequate dynamic range, and if you want a new 'speaker,' just EQ that one that you already have. Most of the differences between any of these speakers will likely be due to variations in frequency response, and that can be changed with equalization. If you are actually after a better experience instead of a shiny new thing, don't buy a new speaker, just get a copy of Dirac Live.
I don't agree with that at all. Eq to bad speaker is not nearly equivalent to one that does not need Eq. There is a lot more to a good speaker than just a flat frequency response.

As I have said before, I could build you a speaker with a textbook frequency response that is totally unlistenable. One in which speech was unintelligible.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
All good feedback here. I honestly think I just like spending my hobby budget on new audio items. It’s my hobby and I like to switch things up. It may be bad in some eyes but it’s one thing I like about my love for audio equipment. I bought and sold stuff my entire adult life. Sometimes I make out, sometimes I don’t.
On why I ask questions here? I have to drive almost three hours just to hear any good equipment. And if they have it in stock. I like to get feedback here based on people’s experiance with any equipment. I know I can’t take it as I will have the same opinion but it’s a base line. And again talking with people here with the same passion is enjoyable. If I get ripped then that’s OK too.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

All good feedback here. I honestly think I just like spending my hobby budget on new audio items. It’s my hobby and I like to switch things up. It may be bad in some eyes but it’s one thing I like about my love for audio equipment. I bought and sold stuff my entire adult life. Sometimes I make out, sometimes I don’t.
In that case try the Dynaudio speakers and let us know what you think! personally I find switching out equipment A PITA. I have just changed out my pre/pro. I did do some re engineering along the way though.

There is a nice Marantz 8003 sitting in the spare room now. My wife is not happy!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't agree with that at all. Eq to bad speaker is not nearly equivalent to one that does not need Eq. There is a lot more to a good speaker than just a flat frequency response.

As I have said before, I could build you a speaker with a textbook frequency response that is totally unlistenable. One in which speech was unintelligible.
I am not saying to EQ the speaker to 'fix' it, I am saying get a speaker with fundamentally good performance, and if you want a different sound, just apply equalization for a different sound character. It's easier than buying a new speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis