Revel and Dynaudio thoughts

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just like spending my hobby budget on new audio items.
My wife's parents spend about $20K every year to travel. That's their hobby.

They have a crappy sound system and TV, but they don't care about that. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am not saying to EQ the speaker to 'fix' it, I am saying get a speaker with fundamentally good performance, and if you want a different sound, just apply equalization for a different sound character. It's easier than buying a new speaker.
Understood. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Even so not all speaker problems are in the frequency response domain by a long shot.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am not saying to EQ the speaker to 'fix' it, I am saying get a speaker with fundamentally good performance, and if you want a different sound, just apply equalization for a different sound character. It's easier than buying a new speaker.
Anyone make a good EQ now a days like the old days? Not even sure that would be the way to go anymore. Probably something different that I have read up on yet since I haven’t used an EQ since the early 90’s.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Anyone make a good EQ now a days like the old days? Not even sure that would be the way to go anymore. Probably something different that I have read up on yet since I haven’t used an EQ since the early 90’s.
They still make lots of those old analog equalizers. They are awash in phase shift. You can use them in subtle fashion to Eq old poor quality analog material. I use them just to get a rough idea of what is required, but then go to the digital Eq in my DAW.

If you are going to use Eq, and I strongly advice against it, then you need a digital one like this.
I'm pretty sure your receiver has a digital equalizer.

I'm 100% sure an equalizer is not a solution to any speaker problem you perceive.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would look into the equalizer on Dirac Live, it has a parametric equalizer in it. The old graphic EQs that you are talking about had some problems. Some playback software have good EQs like there is a good EQ program for Winamp. There is probably a good EQ plug-in for foobar and other popular playback software.

highfigh

highfigh

Anyone have thoughts on my Ascend RAAL towers when comparing them to the Dynaudio Excite 38. The Dynaudio are a grand more than my Ascends. Would they really sound that much better? Wish I could hear them side by side. Every time I brought a speaker home and compared them to my Ascends nothing sounded as clear and open. Not even my Kef LS 50..
I haven't heard the Ascends- maybe you could take yours to the store to compare?

highfigh

highfigh

The trick there is to figure out how to make it sound the way you want- putting words to sound isn't easy and often, making a change based on what is thought to be a particular frequency range can be off by a whole octave, as in thinking that the sound we hear is the fundamental note when someone plucks the E string on a bass guitar when it's mainly the first overtone unless it's plucked cleanly at the string's midpoint. Then, there's the issue of what the equalizer is doing to the sound, aside from the boost or cut.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard the Ascends- maybe you could take yours to the store to compare?
I have done this before. Part of the secret is asking about a time when the store is not busy (obviously, they would not be happy if other people are in the room and your Ascend out-performs their speaker - but I would not state that when asking - coach it in terms of determining if their speaker is enough better to justify the extra cost rather then whether it is better).

highfigh

highfigh

I have done this before. Part of the secret is asking about a time when the store is not busy (obviously, they would not be happy if other people are in the room and your Ascend out-performs their speaker - but I would not state that when asking - coach it in terms of determining if their speaker is enough better to justify the extra cost rather then whether it is better).
They needed to get out of the house".

Personally and having worked in a store, I probably wouldn't like it if someone brought their speakers in to compare and I would probably want to be closed at that time but as a consumer, I would want to know if something being sold as 'better' really is, or not. This is why audio groups are great, but not everyone is interested in having a house full of audio geeks, either. We are- don't deny it!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW, I liked the Revels I have heard and don't mean to sound critical of their materials in any way. I also don't know why they needed to use Italian cabinetmakers- the US has plenty of them.
perhaps because they are not made in the US ?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So I got a chance to hear the Excite X44 last night. Wow. Talk about a full sounding speaker without a sub. Was very impressive. A bit higher cost than the Revel or even the Focal 936 but it may be worth the extra 400. Really really cool tower. It seem to fill in what I am missing in my Ascends. But this was in a nice treated room that is larger than my dedicated room at home. Tempting to up the budget.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Anyone have thoughts on my Ascend RAAL towers when comparing them to the Dynaudio Excite 38. The Dynaudio are a grand more than my Ascends. Would they really sound that much better? Wish I could hear them side by side. Every time I brought a speaker home and compared them to my Ascends nothing sounded as clear and open. Not even my Kef LS 50..
I don't think Revel Performa 3 or Dynaudio Excite would be a upgrade outside of asthetics. The Ascends do use very high end drivers. Whereas you are comparing to retail brands with their entry to mid level drivers. Personally I've only compared the Revel M105s with the Sierra-2s and the latter had much better highs and mids.

I think you would need to look at the Contour/Performa 3Be lines for an upgrade.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

As you have found out, the Dynaudios will be a massive upgrade on your current speakers. I would up the budget.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Revel F206/208 didn't sound as transparent as the LS50. I don't nothing about the Ascend but based on available info I assume they would sound a little brighter than the LS50 and therefore more so than the Revel. I liked the Revel in the beginning because they sounded smooth and easy to listen to, but got bored by the end of the audition session, very strong bass though so you won't need a subwoofer. I think they would be excellent for certain kind of music but unexciting in general. If you put them side by side in a crowded amusement park with some Bestbuy Klipsch, you should be able to tell them apart from a mile away.

As expected, you are going to get a lot of opinions, there will be no end to this approach, as we all have our own preferences/tastes. I have 5 pairs of towers and 2 pairs of bookshelves, but if you keep going like this I am sure you will end up having more, if not already.:D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The Revel F206/208 didn't sound as transparent as the LS50. I don't nothing about the Ascend but based on available info I assume they would sound a little brighter than the LS50 and therefore more so than the Revel. I liked the Revel in the beginning because they sounded smooth and easy to listen to, but got bored by the end of the audition session, very strong bass though so you won't need a subwoofer. I think they would be excellent for certain kind of music but unexciting in general. If you put them side by side in a crowded amusement park with some Bestbuy Klipsch, you should be able to tell them apart from a mile away.

As expected, you are going to get a lot of opinions, there will be no end to this approach, as we all have our own preferences/tastes. I have 5 pairs of towers and 2 pairs of bookshelves, but if you keep going like this I am sure you will end up having more, if not already.:D
Yep. I have a few options already to play with. I enjoy it as well. I do wish I had a good close by dealer. That sure would make things much much better. But....I don’t.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I like the Dynaudio because they don't force me to think about what I'm hearing, the way some speakers do. I can just listen.
Would you have a similar opinion for the YG Acoustics speakers?
As a matter of fact, I like both brands but the unique aluminum construction of the YG cabinets really impresses me as well as the sound stage.
I can't afford either of those products but I don't recall having been impressed more by any other brand of speakers.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
EQ doesn't have to be about the speaker at all, but about the room it is in. When I used to audition speakers, I would ignore the store's room and have them set them up near field in which to avoid their setup. I could tell by listening to speakers point blank with no EQ how they would perform in my room and if it was easily in the range of analog EQ. Half of why I still choose the speakers I do for living in nearly exactly the same type of spaces/furniture as I always have.

highfigh

highfigh

Would you have a similar opinion for the YG Acoustics speakers?
As a matter of fact, I like both brands but the unique aluminum construction of the YG cabinets really impresses me as well as the sound stage.
I can't afford either of those products but I don't recall having been impressed more by any other brand of speakers.
Never heard of YG Acoustics, which means nobody in the Milwaukee area sells them, haven't seen anything in trade mags, haven't heard anyone mention them- which means little, but I talk to other dealers in the region all the time and nobody has said anything about them.

For me, the only real thing that matters is the sound. I don't care if the cabinets use MDF and veneer, if they aren't totally inert or if they're made from metal, plastic, wood, etc- I care about the sound. If they look nice, great. To be honest, the aluminum probably adds enough to the price that I would hesitate but if they sound great, they might interest me.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Never heard of YG Acoustics, which means nobody in the Milwaukee area sells them, haven't seen anything in trade mags, haven't heard anyone mention them- which means little, but I talk to other dealers in the region all the time and nobody has said anything about them.

For me, the only real thing that matters is the sound. I don't care if the cabinets use MDF and veneer, if they aren't totally inert or if they're made from metal, plastic, wood, etc- I care about the sound. If they look nice, great. To be honest, the aluminum probably adds enough to the price that I would hesitate but if they sound great, they might interest me.
I'vs seen YG Acoustics in Sterophile ads. And yes the are very expensive too.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

There have been articles on some of their products in several reviews. Here is one: https://www.stereophile.com/content/yg-acoustics-sonja-13-loudspeaker

What made me laugh in this Stereophile article is when they relate to "Zero Ohm" inductors which is not possible, since inductor reactance is stated in ohms as well as it's resistance. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis