Replacement Projector Lamps

majorloser

majorloser

I've finally found a great source for replacement projector lamps that's CHEAP!

I've been trying for the past few years to find a source for just the bulbs, not the entire assemblies. I've always thought is was ridiculous to spend $400 to $600 on a lamp when I rarely get more than 1,000 out of a lamp in calibration. Especially when most of the actual lamps are made buy Osram/Philips and have the stock number printed on the side of the lamp.

Well, I finally found my Mecca of projector lamps.

www.interlight.biz

http://www.interlight.biz/mbsearch.int?webclass=LCD

My current projector is an Optoma H78DC3. The replacement lamp assemblies run abour $370 plus shipping from any of the discount on-line sources. It runs about $400 from Optoma.

Interlight has the replacement bulb for just $199.50 :eek:

Most lamp assemblies will come apart with just a few screws. You just have to make sure you do not touch the new bulb ANYWHERE with your fingers. The slight amount of oils from your fingerprint can cause a lamp to explode. Wear disposable glove and wipe down the exterior of the new lamp glass reflector with 90% isopropyl alcohol to be safe. DO NOT TOUCH THE INSIDE OF THE REFLECTOR GLASS OR THE LIGHT STUCTURE INSIDE!

At these prices I won't think twice about throwing away a lamp because it won't calibrate properly. And it should only take a few minutes to replace a bulb in the assembly.

I received my lamp yesterday via 2nd Day Air for just an additional $24 to Florida. Installed last night and will preform a full calibration over the weekend. Now that I know the comapny is legit. I'm going to order a spare bulb next week.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Aw man, they don't have the lamp I need, BHL5009-S. :(

I also have a Mack warranty that is supposed to replace my bulb twice in three years. However, I have to send in my old bulb for reimbursement. I assume that means returning the entire assembly.

Thanks anyways, though. :eek:

majorloser

majorloser

Aw man, they don't have the lamp I need, BHL5009-S. :(

I also have a Mack warranty that is supposed to replace my bulb twice in three years. However, I have to send in my old bulb for reimbursement. I assume that means returning the entire assembly.

Thanks anyways, though. :eek:
Before sending it back, take it out of the housing and see if you can get a model number. Then put it back together and send it back.

Does your warranty only cover failed lamps? Can you send them back when the output gets too low to be usable?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Before sending it back, take it out of the housing and see if you can get a model number. Then put it back together and send it back.
Good idea. I thought about that. I asked at the AVS RS1 owner's thread this morning to see if anyone happened to know . . .

Does your warranty only cover failed lamps? Can you send them back when the output gets too low to be usable?
AFAIK, whenever I want. I can explain all the details I know about the warranty if you wish. Whether here, or by PM (I didn't want to mess up your sticky). :) However, I have to buy the new bulb, and THEN send in the old one to start off a series of hoop-jumping to get reimbursement. :rolleyes:

G

gabrielsf31

Audiophyte
Av department

let me see if i can get some info for you , i work for an AV department

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
Okay, this sounds good to me! They have originals, fresh or refurbished?

Last edited:
basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I just ordered a replacement (spare) lamp from purelandsupply on eBay. They already shipped it and it will arrive tomorrow. This is for an InFocus IN82. The factory replacement includes the whole cage assy and is $460, but the bulb from purelandsupply cost me $159. Other sites have the bulb for a bit over $210, so this looks to be the best deal out there.

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
I have ordered my first bulb to Projectorlampsworld.com ,got the package in 3 days after confirmation and the rate are in believablely low $225 for Sony VPL-HS10 else where this lamp was about 350+. I am very happy with the lamp till now. They have offered me 90 days warranty money back gurantee if any problem occur without any question.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
About a year ago my company purchased Toshiba TDP-T420U Projector to be used in big conference room. ANSI brightness is the priority and it's pretty bright.
Less than a year after we found no only the model is discontinued but it's replacement bulbs as well !!! :eek::eek: WTF??? and In fact it was dropped two weeks after we ordered it - talk about tough luck.

Luckily, somehow www.interlight.biz were able to find a bulb+housing from somewhere! Huge thanks to them and It'll keep my butt from kicking, replacing a year old, $2k projector won't be looked upon nicely, just because of old bulb.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I've owned my InFocus IN82 (got it with 82 hours on the original bulb) and now I have about 500 hours, one year later. Projector still going strong. I have a spare, but if I get 2500 hours out of this bulb, it will be August 2014 by the time I should replace it. I'm in the habit of turning it on only when we have something to watch and then shutting it down right after. $$$ going out the door at 24.6 cents/kWH here, so we're very conscious of electric useage.

BoredSysAdmin, that is simply terrible that the company obsoleted the product in a year's time. I believe there is a law requiring companies to maintain repair parts stock for some period of time, 5 or 7 years, after the product is discontinued. You probably have a valid complaint as a consumer. Don't let them get away with that.

S

scottyg

Junior Audioholic
awesome just ordered a lamp saved about 80 dollars, not to mention its about 10 miles from my place. Never knew they existed!

M

mozi121

Enthusiast
Hi,

I would like to share my experience of getting a new projector bulb,
I ordered my first bulb to Projector lamps ,got the
package in 3 days after confirmation and the rate are in believablely low
$225 for Sony VPL-HS10 else where this lamp was about 350+. I am very happy
with the lamp till now. They have offered me 90 days warranty money back
gurantee if any problem occur without any question.

:)

S

Sam Ash

Audioholic Intern
Very Useful Post

I've been wondering where to get a replacement lamp for my projector for a reasonable price.

Thank you all for the useful information.

K

katgrl

Audiophyte
Man, I just found this and it will save my school lots of dollars. Ordering through routine channels with "lowest bid supplier method" is a rip.

M

Mountainear

Audioholic Intern
+1 on the routine suppliers for schools being a rip.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Old thread I know but now I use www.bulbs.com I am on the first lamp that I bought from them and it has 1800hrs on it and is still going strong. Also their CS is great.

G

gilcanyon

Audiophyte
Can anyone say or confirm that any of these discount lamps is in the ballpark of the same light output as a new factory original?

The contribution to your theater using a discount lamp may not be worth anything.

The answer I got from OSRAM in Hong Kong was "You can't expect a replacement lamp to be as bright as a factory assembled unit". They refused a refund as the lamp was used for 30 minutes to measure the light output. It measured about half of the original factory lamp output.

I've bought three and they were all crap.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Those China made lamps have had allot of complaints about them. The lamp I got from Bulbs.com was in fact a lamp made from the same OEM that came with the projector and although I don't have a way to measure the lumens it looked to me every bit as good as the original.

majorloser

majorloser

Just tried to find a replacement Osram bulb element for my Epson 6020UB projector. Unfortunately Epson used a style of lamp assembly that is really not made for rebuild. So I ended up buying an OEM Epson lamp assembly this week. The best price and shipping ended up being B&H Photo. Even with next day shipping is was cheaper than Epson's store that includes next day shipping with all lamps.

I can't really complain. I did get about 5,000 hours out of the lamp before it failed. Been wanting to change it for awhile since it was well below the calibration brightness and contrast.

There are still deals out there for bare Osram bulbs to rebuild your lamp assembly. But just beware of pre-assembled aftermarket lamp assemblies. You can just read the reviews on Amazon to see how many bad experiences and poor performance assemblies are out there. But considering the price of OEM lamp assemblies has dropped almost in half since I started this thread and let's not forget the HUGE drop in projector prices since then. It's really not worth getting an aftermarket lamp assembly. But it is worth rebuilding the lamp yourself if you can get an original OSRAM VIP lamp module that matches for projector. You should probably go ahead and buy a new OEM assembly and rebuild the old one you replace it with for a spare.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis