DLP Projector Lamp Life

majorloser

majorloser

Please let me know how often you have changed lamps in your projectors!!!

Well, I just changed the second lamp on my Optoma H78-DC3 after 630 hours and about 9 months (of course after the 6 month warranty). The first lamp was replaced after about 500 hours.

The first lamp was replaced because the lamp was so dim the projector couldn't adjust the brightness up high enough to display the colors properly. The bulb did not burn out and did not trigger a lamp fault indication on the projector.

The second lamp triggers the lamp fault and shuts the projector down. I can turn the projector off and then on again and the projector would start up....but not always. So I changed the bulb.

I run the projector in "normal" mode, not "bright" mode so I'm not running the bulb at high output.

Ok, I'm not being picky since I don't have a problem changing a lamp every year. Just the cost of doing business as far as I'm concerned. I just wish the lamp would last for one year. My previous Yamaha projector's lamps would last between 700 and 1,000 hours with no problem, but those lamps were rated for 1,000 hours. No complaint there. But Optoma says the lamps should last for 2,000 to 3,000 hours.

Does anybody think I should send the projector into the factory for a "checkup"?
After the first lamp went very dim the factory said to send the projector in for service. But if all it needed was a lamp they would change the lamp and charge me bench time + the lamp + shipping. That didn't make sense to me then when changing the lamp is so easy (even a Stratman can change it). I changed the lamp and everything was OK. So I figured that was that, problem solved. But now I have this problem with the second bulb after just over 600 hours.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
How's your power down there? Lots of outages/fluctuations when viewing? That can significantly reduce your lamp life. It that's the case, you might want to look into a UPS so you can properly cool down your projector if the power goes out.

majorloser

majorloser

I'm actually using a APC UPS on the projector..................

Added that after the last bulb change. Figured that might be an issue. I also have the house on a "whole house" surge suppressor and all of my components (except the amps and subs) are on a APC SmartUPS 1,000 UPS.

(Maybe that's my problem..............over protected)

That's really weird then... burining out twice like that without it being power-related. Which APC unit do you have on the projector? If you don't have under and over-voltage regulation and your power swings a bunch, (especially under) then the fluctuations (while safe for most electronics) may be wreaking some havok on it and reducing bulb life...

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey I resent that. That's hitting below the fur belt.

majorloser

majorloser

Need more power!!!!

Clint DeBoer said:
That's really weird then... burining out twice like that without it being power-related. Which APC unit do you have on the projector? If you don't have under and over-voltage regulation and your power swings a bunch, (especially under) then the fluctuations (while safe for most electronics) may be wreaking some havok on it and reducing bulb life...
It's not quite big enough, but it's hanging from the ceiling.

An ACP Smart-UPS 750VA
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA750&total_watts=50

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
majorloser said:
Please let me know how often you have changed lamps in your projectors!!!
See here. :)

majorloser said:
Does anybody think I should send the projector into the factory for a "checkup"?
I'd personally only consider it if a third lamp failed prematurely. I consider two lamps failing prematurely too small a 'sample' to warrant sending the projector in for a checkup.

You've no way of knowing that you haven't just been unlucky, whereas if a third lamp fails prematurely, whilst you could still just be unlucky (cursed? :rolleyes: ), I suspect I'd be getting the feeling that 'something's not right' if you know what I mean.

Still, it's your money. Are you rich? :D

majorloser

majorloser

Buckle-meister said:
See here. :)

I'd personally only consider it if a third lamp failed prematurely. I consider two lamps failing prematurely too small a 'sample' to warrant sending the projector in for a checkup.

You've no way of knowing that you haven't just been unlucky, whereas if a third lamp fails prematurely, whilst you could still just be unlucky (cursed? :rolleyes: ), I suspect I'd be getting the feeling that 'something's not right' if you know what I mean.

Still, it's your money. Are you rich? :D
Robbie,

You remember the problems I had last year getting my lamps with replacements from Optoma on backorder for almost four months (and the problems with my Yamaha when it died). I bought two lamps back then and now I have no spares. I've actually thought about buying a "spare" projector since I keep having equipment problems. I have to check the warranty on the Optoma to see how much time I have left before I decide to sent it back or wait and see how long this bulb lasts.

It's been a year since I brought his issue up and I just wanted to see if there was any other members who've changed lamps lately.

I don't think that your UPS does voltage regulation, just surge protection and battery backup... My theory (and I'm sticking to it for now) is that while the power may not go out or past the thresholds on your projector, wild voltage swings (common FL if not everywhere) over time will greatly reduce bulb life... I have no hard data to back this up just yet but we're working on it.

If you want to check how bad your voltage swings, toss a laptop connection to the UPS and monitor it for a while with PowerChute (included with the UPS). It shodul log the power fluctuations for you if you set it to do so (and set the parameters accordingly). OF course, clamp down too hard and it won't work at all (found that out this year when I tried to lower the tolerances of my PC UPS).

majorloser

majorloser

The APC SmartUPS line has AVR (auto voltage regulation). The lower BackUPS line doesn't. My units are both SmartUPS units.

I put the wrong link to the unit I have. Mine is a 120V input to 120V output.
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA750&total_watts=50

I've thought about hooking my units up to my desktop serial port to keep track of power. But I haven't seen any problems before with the circuit my desktop UPS is on. My projector is sharing a 20A circuit with only two other component. Not a big load by a long shot.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
majorloser said:
Robbie,

You remember the problems I had last year getting my lamps with replacements from Optoma on backorder for almost four months (and the problems with my Yamaha when it died). I bought two lamps back then and now I have no spares. I've actually thought about buying a "spare" projector since I keep having equipment problems. I have to check the warranty on the Optoma to see how much time I have left before I decide to sent it back or wait and see how long this bulb lasts.

It's been a year since I brought his issue up and I just wanted to see if there was any other members who've changed lamps lately.

Major, maybe you just have a bad batch of lamps. It happened on one of the jobsites I had, a whole case of defective MR-16 bulbs (new case, factory sealed) for low voltage lighting, straight from the supplier.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
majorloser said:
You remember the problems I had last year getting my lamps with replacements from Optoma on backorder for almost four months
I do. :(

majorloser said:
I've actually thought about buying a "spare" projector...
You are rich! :D

majorloser said:
I can't really help I'm afraid. :( My own replacement lamp is (touch wood) still going strong, though from memory it has around 600 hours.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis