Recommend me the best smart speaker?

A

al9107

Audiophyte
I'm thinking of getting a smart speaker for a friend. Should I get a smart speaker or a smart display? Google or Alexa? Hit me up with your recommendations!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm partial to Amazon personally. They are integrated into a few brands and more be added in addition to their own branded ones.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Amazon is winning the race currently here.

A

al9107

Audiophyte
I'm partial to Amazon personally. They are integrated into a few brands and more be added in addition to their own branded ones.
Which Amazon speaker would you recommend? Amazon Echo or Echo Show?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I dont have a show, but I have an echo in every room in the house. For me it was a natural evolution since we are very amazon'ed out in my house. When I started this a couple years ago everything I read said amazon was way ahead of everybody so I went with it. Never tried any of the others.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Which Amazon speaker would you recommend? Amazon Echo or Echo Show?
That all depends on your intended use!
Check reviews (and quick video below),but don't buy the original Show because the New Show will allow you to access YouTube videos via Silk. For me that is a huge improvement!
Generally, I would go for the new and improved models.
If you want a consultant to ask about the weather or what the difference between Feta and Goat cheeze is, the New dot sounds like the best option.
If music sound quality is important the Echo Plus has better SQ than the original Echo (which was good) and you can get a pair with their new sub for a 2.1 system.
However at that $ point I'd start to consider pairing a Dot with a pair of JBL LSR305's. The Echo sub may go a touch deeper than the JBLs, but I would not be too sure and the JBL's are a know "best in class" option for fidelity!
If you want to spend more for better SQ, I can give more options... just ask!

Depending on how much patience you can summon, I'd wait until Black Friday, as Amazon has historically sold the Echo gear at a pretty good discount (30-40% discount). A dot would be $30 instead of $50, however the introduction of the new models may affect discounts.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Care to share why you prefer using Alexa as opposed to Google Assistant?
I got one of the first Echos, then bought a Google Home when it came out. It works fine, but Google is still playing catch up, IMHO.

I do appreciate that Google can answer "What does the Panda say?" and Alexa can't accommodate me!;)
(A panda sounds kind of like a dog yawning)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I see this as a terrifyingly bleak future you’re heading into.

A

al9107

Audiophyte
That all depends on your intended use!
Check reviews (and quick video below),but don't buy the original Show because the New Show will allow you to access YouTube videos via Silk. For me that is a huge improvement!
Generally, I would go for the new and improved models.
If you want a consultant to ask about the weather or what the difference between Feta and Goat cheeze is, the New dot sounds like the best option.
If music sound quality is important the Echo Plus has better SQ than the original Echo (which was good) and you can get a pair with their new sub for a 2.1 system.
However at that $ point I'd start to consider pairing a Dot with a pair of JBL LSR305's. The Echo sub may go a touch deeper than the JBLs, but I would not be too sure and the JBL's are a know "best in class" option for fidelity!
If you want to spend more for better SQ, I can give more options... just ask!

Depending on how much patience you can summon, I'd wait until Black Friday, as Amazon has historically sold the Echo gear at a pretty good discount (30-40% discount). A dot would be $30 instead of $50, however the introduction of the new models may affect discounts.

Yeah YouTube is definitely an important factor so that's a plus point! I personally have a GA-powered smart display - the lenovo one. Got it because I wanted a screen to my smart speaker and because it was probably the first display to support YouTube. I'm partial to GA because I already have GA products but I've not used any Alexa products myself so I thought I'd check out some opinions first before deciding on one for my friend. I do love JBL myself so I'd take up that recommendation of yours if I end up getting the Dot. Good idea, I'd wait till Black Friday to check out the deals. Thanks!

A

al9107

Audiophyte
I got one of the first Echos, then bought a Google Home when it came out. It works fine, but Google is still playing catch up, IMHO.

I do appreciate that Google can answer "What does the Panda say?" and Alexa can't accommodate me!;)
(A panda sounds kind of like a dog yawning)
Do you use your Echo and Google Home concurrently? How's that been for you?

Haha wow I actually don't know what a panda sounds like. I really should try out that question with my lenovo smart display soon and check it out for myself! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis