Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I recently swapped out the receiver I use in my computer system. I have been using an old (1999?) Yamaha RX-V795, but it shut down for no apparent reason a number of times. I think it was overheating. The replacement was an old (2006?) Onkyo HT-RC160. That got super hot as well - even hotter than the Yamaha, but it didn't shut down. I didn't want it to happen again so I ordered this fan:
Thermaltake CL-F015-PL20BL-A 200mm Pure Series Quiet High Airflow Case Fan - Newegg.com

and this adapter:
OKGEAR PA-AD-UL 12V/5V AC/DC Power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector - Newegg.com

I just laid the fan on top of the receiver and let it pull the hot air out. It has been working great. The only annoying thing is that the fan runs 24/7. I'll probably swawp the Yamaha back in since it has a switched outlet on the back. Hopefully it was just overheating and doesn't have some other issue :D

After the positive experience with that fan I ordered two of these:
Amazon.com: AC Infinity AI-MPF120A Quiet 120mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling: Computers & Accessories

one for the ps3 (original 60gb version) and one for the router.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Now I know why I left ...I have a life ... I feel so sorry for you all

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I recently swapped out the receiver I use in my computer system. I have been using an old (1999?) Yamaha RX-V795, but it shut down for no apparent reason a number of times. I think it was overheating. The replacement was an old (2006?) Onkyo HT-RC160. That got super hot as well - even hotter than the Yamaha, but it didn't shut down. I didn't want it to happen again so I ordered this fan:
Thermaltake CL-F015-PL20BL-A 200mm Pure Series Quiet High Airflow Case Fan - Newegg.com

and this adapter:
OKGEAR PA-AD-UL 12V/5V AC/DC Power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector - Newegg.com

I just laid the fan on top of the receiver and let it pull the hot air out. It has been working great. The only annoying thing is that the fan runs 24/7. I'll probably swawp the Yamaha back in since it has a switched outlet on the back. Hopefully it was just overheating and doesn't have some other issue :D

After the positive experience with that fan I ordered two of these:
Amazon.com: AC Infinity AI-MPF120A Quiet 120mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling: Computers & Accessories

one for the ps3 (original 60gb version) and one for the router.
Instead of having the fan run all the time, why not add something like this Amazon.com : -50-110 DC12V Cool Heat Temp Temperature Control Switch : Electronics , just run the probe into the cabinet and set the temps for about 20 degrees over your ambient room temp, then when the temp raises the fan will kick on...

If you want something more simple you can go with an adjustable snap disc White-Rodgers 3F05-1 Adjustable Snap Disc Fan Control, N/A - Industrial Hvac Fans And Circulators - Amazon.com it only has 2 connections and works like a light switch, install in in one of the legs to the fan to make or break its connection... They also sell set temp models, which ever one you get make sure you get one that "closes on temperature rise"....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, time for some big news:

There is a reason I was not on forums most of this week - We are now officially own a home. This Tuesday we closed and moved on Wednesday. So MUCH work done and still crap load stuff to organize.
I would also need to buy one of EVERYTHING - from toilet bowl brush to lawnmower and everything in between.
Just got my PC set - you know - I got my priorities set :)

As soon a we settle down a bit and I would get around to hook the speakers - my fellow NJ audioholics would be very welcome to stop by :)

ps: Time to update forum's location setting

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations, BSA!!! That's great news.

Well, except maybe now knowing that you apparently didn't use a toilet brush in your old place... :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Congratulations, BSA!!! That's great news.

Well, except maybe now knowing that you apparently didn't use a toilet brush in your old place... :D
a) I did and it did not make sense to take it with us for obivious reasons
b) from 1 toilet, I now own 3

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I also like to use clorox toilet wand disposables rather than a normal brush

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I was hoping for a link to the girlfriend but yeah, whatever.
Heh, not likely. I'm in the doghouse today because I'm resisting going to yoga...

I was going to try it, a combo of making her happy and my doctor said it would help with my upper back pain... she was there... so now that A DOCTOR said I should do yoga too it was like "You see... I told you it would be good for you."

Besides that I'd probably get stuck, or not even be able to start....

So I'm arming with reasons not to:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Haha

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Heh, not likely. I'm in the doghouse today because I'm resisting going to yoga...

I was going to try it, a combo of making her happy and my doctor said it would help with my upper back pain... she was there... so now that A DOCTOR said I should do yoga too it was like "You see... I told you it would be good for you."
Placing bets now, to see how many PMs you get.... Requesting pics of you in yoga pants.:D
NTTAWWT

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis