Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I had a little excitement this morning. I was driving down a two-lane road, speed limit of 55mph. Coming the other way was one of the local landscape rock trucks (like a large dump truck full of rocks), I'm guessing also going 55. We're under half a mile apart when my brain registers that something is happening. I then realize that he must have blown a tire because he's losing control. About a second later, we're closing at 90-100mph in the same lane. Hmmm. He's trying to get the truck off on to the shoulder on my side, but the truck is fighting hard. So, I hit the brakes...and he's still coming...and throwing up a huge dirt cloud. Just before all visibility behind him disappears, I see other cars coming behind him. So, I'm thinking my choices are (a) sit stopped in my lane and hope this dump truck doesn't hit me head on at about 30mph, or (b) pull into the oncoming lane to let him go by, risking getting hit by another car head on at 55mph. Decisions, decisions. I decide on "sit there." Luckily, I just watched him go by me on the shoulder.

To the driver's credit, and he deserves a good deal of it, he did a superb job of getting that truck under control and off on the shoulder. Taming a dump truck with a blown tire at 55mph can't be easy.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I had a little excitement this morning. I was driving down a two-lane road, speed limit of 55mph. Coming the other way was one of the local landscape rock trucks (like a large dump truck full of rocks), I'm guessing also going 55. We're under half a mile apart when my brain registers that something is happening. I then realize that he must have blown a tire because he's losing control. About a second later, we're closing at 90-100mph in the same lane. Hmmm. He's trying to get the truck off on to the shoulder on my side, but the truck is fighting hard. So, I hit the brakes...and he's still coming...and throwing up a huge dirt cloud. Just before all visibility behind him disappears, I see other cars coming behind him. So, I'm thinking my choices are (a) sit stopped in my lane and hope this dump truck doesn't hit me head on at about 30mph, or (b) pull into the oncoming lane to let him go by, risking getting hit by another car head on at 55mph. Decisions, decisions. I decide on "sit there." Luckily, I just watched him go by me on the shoulder.

To the driver's credit, and he deserves a good deal of it, he did a superb job of getting that truck under control and off on the shoulder. Taming a dump truck with a blown tire at 55mph can't be easy.
Well you won't need Coffee this morning. Glad you are ok.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord

I am glad you came out of that without getting hurt.

I am proud that you made a decision even though it was the wrong one. Just in-case it ever happens again, here's what you do.

Without slowing down, simultaneously cut the steering wheel hard to the left and pull the emergency brake.

As soon as you are half way around; release the emergency brake, drop the clutch, shift down and then either hit the nitrous button or slip the clutch just enough to get the turbo spun up.

Then floor the accelerator and slightly cut the wheel back to the right.

At this point you will be out of trouble but now it's time to show off, keep the RMPs high and let the rear-end come around about 1/4 of the way, get the tires spinning again and let it drift from side to side just barely missing the mailboxes, on BOTH sides of the road, with the rear of your car.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Next time that I'm being chased by a wannabe Yakuza or The Rock, I'll definitely keep that in mind. :)

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
He use to be. Did you know that Adam actually coined the phrase "I can't believe it's not butter!".:D
Didn't Adam use that phase in the final round in the '77 Twister Championships?
That was back in the day when Wide World of Sports televised them .... well, until the scandal.

Steve

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I am glad you came out of that without getting hurt.

I am proud that you made a decision even though it was the wrong one. Just in-case it ever happens again, here's what you do.

Without slowing down, simultaneously cut the steering wheel hard to the left and pull the emergency brake.

As soon as you are half way around; release the emergency brake, drop the clutch, shift down and then either hit the nitrous button or slip the clutch just enough to get the turbo spun up.

Then floor the accelerator and slightly cut the wheel back to the right.

At this point you will be out of trouble but now it's time to show off, keep the RMPs high and let the rear-end come around about 1/4 of the way, get the tires spinning again and let it drift from side to side just barely missing the mailboxes, on BOTH sides of the road, with the rear of your car.
Smokey and the Bandit style huh?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That was back in the day when Wide World of Sports televised them .... well, until the scandal.
Ah, the good old days when they let a four year old announce the play by play.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Steve
Ah, the good old days when they let a four year old announce the play by play.
Yeah the good old days... It's still makes me laugh that WWoS mistook what greg said and used it as part of their opening... agony of defeat... He said "agony of the feet"

ps we don't speak of the scandal.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
ps we don't speak of the scandal.
IMO, it was a totally legal move for the win, just glad VCRs were not common when that aired, it would certainly be on youtube.

Transcript (from memory)

[Commentator 1]
"Oh my, that was the worst possible spin the champ could get ..."

[Commentator 2]
"Yes, it don't look good for the champ ... he sees the circle but knows it's an impossible move"

[Commentator 1]
"Wait ... wait ... looks like the champ is building up for a move ... look at that level of concentration ..."

[Commentator 2]
"OMG did he just ..... I'm not looking ... I just can't ....."

[Commentator 1]
"I'm looking ... I just can't believe he has done it!"

[Commentator 2]
"Are you allowed to .... uh, ... anchor yourself like that?"

I believe this is when then went off air.

Steve

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, it was a totally legal move for the win, just glad VCRs were not common when that aired, it would certainly be on youtube.

Transcript (from memory)

[Commentator 1]

[Commentator 2]
"Yes, it don't look good for the champ ... he sees the circle but knows it's an impossible move"

[Commentator 1]
"Wait ... wait ... looks like the champ is building up for a move ... look at that level of concentration ..."

[Commentator 2]

[Commentator 1]

[Commentator 2]

Steve
That fateful day when the rules were re-written to specifically state, "Contact with a circle of any color is strictly limited to the use of hands and feet only."

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai

Transcript (from memory)

[Commentator 1]

[Commentator 2]

[Commentator 1]

[Commentator 2]

[Commentator 1]

[Commentator 2]

Steve
That, reminded me of this...

Last edited by a moderator:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
That fateful day when the rules were re-written to specifically state, "Contact with a circle of any color is strictly limited to the use of hands and feet only."
Don't forget the subsection addendum: The usage of "feet" in the above rule does not refer to a unit of measure.

Steve

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I'm starting to think that I understand how he was able to hover just above the ground like that, not using his hands or feet at all. May I say, bravo my friend, BRAVO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis