RBH Sound Owner's Thread

B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I wanted to call this post The Good, The Not so Good, and The Question post.

The Good
My SVTR Speakers with Passive crossovers finally arrived they are gorgeous! And a beast to set up - given the pandemic couldn't get my buddies over to help lift it - so I had to turn to my spouse and kid to help (they are good sports!). I hooked it up with a Pioneer VSX-82TXS - its an old receiver but has sufficient power to drive these 4 ohm speakers.

The Not so Good
For an expensive speaker set - the document was sparse (to be super kind). I sent the attached diagram to RBH, and the good folks there told me that I had to have a set of jumper cables from the bottom cabinet to the top (nowhere in the documentation) to set it up. Now that its all up and running while the sound is sweet, the bass is nowhere near where it should be for 4x10" drivers. My old JBLs with a single powered subwoofer provided chest thumping bass (while not being flabby) and I am wondering if I set it up correctly and that leads to my question.

The Question
At the receiver I have set the L/R speakers to large, subwoofer to None, and crossover frequency to 50Hz the lowest setting available on the receiver. Yet the speakers output just OK as far as both sound and bass is concerned. What else should I be trying? Thanks for your time.

Attachments

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Maybe I missed something. What do you have a crossover at 50hz for? You should be running those speakers as large full range. No crossover.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast
Maybe I missed something. What do you have a crossover at 50hz for? You should be running those speakers as large full range. No crossover.

Thank you for your reply (I am no audiophile - atleast yet! so please be gentle).

Let me check the receiver settings again, maybe I have a way to eliminate the 50 Hz crossover settings. I will reply back after checking it out thoroughly. Thanks again!

B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast

Maybe it is age of my receiver you can set the speakers to LARGE but you cannot remove the crossover requirement and it goes in a loop with 50 Hz being the lowest setting and no real way to remove it or set to zero.

Please see below:
speakersetting.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe it is age of my receiver you can set the speakers to LARGE but you cannot remove the crossover requirement and it goes in a loop with 50 Hz being the lowest setting and no real way to remove it or set to zero.

Please see below: View attachment 44346
It seems the Pioneer AVR is not letting you play Full-range. Is there a Direct or Pure Direct mode on the AVR? That might force full-range mode.

Otherwise, it might be time to get a better AVR from Marantz, Denon, or Yamaha.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I would try and completely reset the unit to factory defaults. Then go back and make sure "NO" is selected in the subwoofer section in the speaker setup menu. Having 'NO" in the subwoofer speaker menu should defeat the crossover. Play with the unit in "Stream Direct". See if that helps. That unit has a lot of different setting possibilities and something is not passing the full-range signal to your mains. It's not the speakers...

And you don't have 4 x 10in drivers, you have 4 x 12in drivers. :D:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And you don't have 4 x 10in drivers, you have 4 x 12in drivers. :D:D
Good catch. The SVTR pair have a total of 4 x 12” Woofers (in SV1212NR) and 6 x 8” Woofers (in SV831R). :D

The SV1212NR may get all the bass-glory, but the SV831s’ 6 x 8” Woofers go down 50Hz. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I believe your awesome new shiny RBH SVTR deserves an awesome new AVR from Yamaha, Marantz, or Denon. ;)

Time to move that old Pioneer somewhere else.:D
I agree 1000%. He should jump on a Yamaha. Throw that Pioneer junk out the window. You should send him a 3080 to pair with those SVTR’s.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Orrr, if he feels he needs a little more power he can do like me and get a 4 channel ATI amp for each module.

B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast
I agree 1000%. He should jump on a Yamaha. Throw that Pioneer junk out the window. You should send him a 3080 to pair with those SVTR’s.
Hi all,

This is like "give the mouse a cookie type situation" :)- I am going to invest in a newer receiver and I have two in my budget range:
1) Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3080
2) Marantz SR7013

They seem evenly poised (the Marantz is on sale) I read the AVForums for YPAO versus Audyssey and it seems that the latter has an edge. Any thoughts from the pro's here before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance,

The Buddha

B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast
Orrr, if he feels he needs a little more power he can do like me and get a 4 channel ATI amp for each module.

Am I reading you right, that if I buy an Power Amplifier, I could go with an Anthem MCA 225 and skip getting a whole new receiver?

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Well, power is not the issue you're having. In your shoes I'd definitely upgrade the Pioneer. You can't go wrong with either receiver you listed. Are these speakers part of a home theater system?

Did you figure out the bass problem?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi all,

This is like "give the mouse a cookie type situation" :)- I am going to invest in a newer receiver and I have two in my budget range:
1) Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3080
2) Marantz SR7013

They seem evenly poised (the Marantz is on sale) I read the AVForums for YPAO versus Audyssey and it seems that the latter has an edge. Any thoughts from the pro's here before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance,

The Buddha
Grab the Yamaha. You won’t regret it. Marantz isn’t terrible, but Yamaha is better. DM AcuDefTech about the Yamaha 3080. He may be able to help you out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Grab the Yamaha. You won’t regret it. Marantz isn’t terrible, but Yamaha is better. DM AcuDefTech about the Yamaha 3080. He may be able to help you out.
AVR availability is the problem right now and for a the past few months.

This backorder situation changes, but as of this morning, the only AVR I see in stock is the Denon X4700. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
AVR availability is the problem right now and for a the past few months.

This backorder situation changes, but as of this morning, the only AVR I see in stock is the Denon X4700. :D
I been saying get while the getting was good on audio gear. Now look all they got left is, scraps, bottom of the barrel leftovers. :D:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I been saying get while the getting was good on audio gear. Now look all they got left is, scraps, bottom of the barrel leftovers. :D:p
Yeah, I've been looking every morning to see if I can get my hands on some RX-A3080 or RX-A2080, but there are usually none.

I have a few clients in OKC waiting for the X6700 and SR8015, but they are all backordered.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I've been looking every morning to see if I can get my hands on some RX-A3080 or RX-A2080, but there are usually none.

I have a few clients in OKC waiting for the X6700 and SR8015, but they are all backordered.
Yeah I'm sure with China hoarding all the dam chips don't help none!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis