RBH Sound Owner's Thread

C

crispysilicon

Audiophyte
I found this little gem, but I've been through the whole RBH sitemap and I can't figure out what I have. Whole box is wrapped, blank terminal plate.

rbh mysterycenter fl.jpg
rbh mysterycenter terminalplate.jpg

Tested it last night and it sounds clear, but I'd like to know how I should drive it? Any thoughts?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I found this little gem, but I've been through the whole RBH sitemap and I can't figure out what I have. Whole box is wrapped, blank terminal plate.

View attachment 32345View attachment 32346

Tested it last night and it sounds clear, but I'd like to know how I should drive it? Any thoughts?
Mysterious. I've never seen it. Probably have to open up the box to see.

Is it a non-powered subwoofer? If so, probably safe bet that it's a 10" or 12" sub and probably rated for 250-500 Watts into 4 ohms.

C

crispysilicon

Audiophyte
I bought it as a "center". I briefly tested it (for a few minutes before bed, picked up late last night) and it's full range.

C

crispysilicon

Audiophyte
Well, actually I just got my answer from RBH support :) It's a center.

They didn't have specs, only the model, it's a 700-CX. "Theater" series. Found in the 1994 catalog.

Thank you Brian @ RBH :)

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, actually I just got my answer from RBH support :) It's a center.

They didn't have specs, only the model, it's a 700-CX. "Theater" series. Found in the 1994 catalog.

Thank you Brian @ RBH :)
Oh, so these are the Commercial/Pro theater series?

C

crispysilicon

Audiophyte
Found it

hxxps://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Stereo-Review-IDX/IDX/90s/Stereo-Directory-1995-OCR-Page-0181.pdf

"Model 700-CX 2 -Way Center SpeakerTwo 6 -in midbass and 1 -in dome tweeter. Shielded.Power handl.ng 200 W; frequency response 50-22,000 Hz "

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Model 700-CX 2 -Way Center Speaker Two 6 -in midbass and 1 -in dome tweeter. Shielded.Power handling 200 W; frequency response 50-22,000 Hz "
I would set the 700-CX to Small like I would with all speakers and use a 100-200W amp/AVR.

C

crispysilicon

Audiophyte
A big thanks to Shane @ RBH for tracking this down.

I gave it an extended workout and love it. Great vocal clarity. It's a little odd having it on the floor rather than at eye level, but meh.

Funny side note, My FRL are CX-27s and this matches them quite well. CX... it was meant to be?

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Wow. What a neat find!!! Even cooler that Brian and Shane were able to track down the info for you. Now THAT'S customer service!

Interesting design. Makes a ton of sense from a theater design aspect and I'm actually a bit surprised that we don't see that more often. I wonder why it didn't really catch on.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I have a question for all you RBH guys. Has anyone tried to lay the sub portion of a T2 or similar system on it's side? I ask because of my room layout I can't put subs in all four corners. (See the attached layout.) I was thinking the next best option was to use the rule of 1/4s layout but because of the width of the room (14'-10') and my screen size (115 or 123 scope) using the standard tower configuration would put the T2's into the screen. I would have to lay the subs on their sides and put the upper portion all the way to the outsides making an "L" shape if that makes sense.
The other dilemma I'm looking at is that I can't get a true 1/4 dimension on the back wall because of the door and step on the riser. The one nearest the door in particular would be about 18" or more off center as a guess. The subs for the rear would be HSU VTF3 MkII's.
PLUS by using the riser as a bass trap almost any placement of a sub on the riser would be on top of one of the vents. I'm not sure how that or any of my layout thoughts, for that matter, will affect the sound.
Thoughts?? Suggestions???
Thanks!
The cabinets are so strong you could lay them anywhere. The sound could be bumped a bit being that close to the floor

C

CoryW

Audioholic
^^
Oh wow. Enjoy your retirement, Mr. Hassing! Roger's a seriously cool guy. Got to hang out with him a couple times and always enjoyed his personality and passion for audio. Very interesting person who's a joy to know and I hope he gets to enjoy some well-deserved time off. (Maybe he'll get bored of retirement like Sandy Gross and come join the fun again, or just come hang out at RBH HQ to tinker around in the lab. Haha)

Welcome, Todd! Seems like he's had some good involvement with the company for a little while now, so as long as the crew's still there, I'm sure we'll be in good hands. Looking forward to seeing the company do well under his leadership!
I also had the chance to sit with him every once in a while. Loved his big dog that was always around. Todd is a great guy. He’s got a bead on moving forward.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
After many years of proud ownership of some 15 pairs of RBH, from my 816 to my SX-T2/R.....I am now working in the belly of the beast. I am kind of part time here at their Layton plant. Much of my future depends on how my horked up L4/L5 handles the load. I have not worked since my departure from Novell Inc where I worked in Premium Support for 20 years . You should see all of the oompa loompa wandering around here.....there are elves in the back warehouse

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After many years of proud ownership of some 15 pairs of RBH, from my 816 to my SX-T2/R.....I am now working in the belly of the beast. I am kind of part time here at their Layton plant. Much of my future depends on how my horked up L4/L5 handles the load. I have not worked since my departure from Novell Inc where I worked in Premium Support for 20 years . You should see all of the oompa loompa wandering around here.....there are elves in the back warehouse
Cool. So what is your official job title and function? Will you be doing any speaker assembly or testing?

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Happy retirement!

I am in audio nirvana with my new RBH setup. The only thing I need now is to upgrade to sv831r's up front

Oh, and to finalize the built-in removal so I can get these wires out of sight.
I see your future, clean, accurate, deep, wide.........precision
Cool. So what is your official job title and function? Will you be doing any speaker assembly or testing?
I’ll be covering front line calls involving questions and tech issues. Should be fun.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@CoryW

Please inform readers that you are an employee of RBH by including that info in a signature line.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I see your future, clean, accurate, deep, wide.........precision

I’ll be covering front line calls involving questions and tech issues. Should be fun.
Only problem with being an employee of RBH or dealer of RBH is that you can’t be too enthusiastic about RBH since people will now say that you are just BIASED.

It was perfectly okay to be fervent about RBH and recommend RBH to everyone before. But those days are over once you were associated with RBH in any official capacity.

People on the forum will give you grief for that deep passion. It doesn’t matter how much you truly loved RBH a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. :D

When I became a dealer for RBH, I had to relinquish my privilege of being an Audioholics MODERATOR. I loved being a AH moderator. :(

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems like mod would be pretty laid back here. I was a mod over at the MS Xbox forums (still might be, in fact) for quite a while. That place is nuts. Thousands of new posts daily. The report thread was always a chore. I'll bet they don't see much "action" here, lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like mod would be pretty laid back here. I was a mod over at the MS Xbox forums (still might be, in fact) for quite a while. That place is nuts. Thousands of new posts daily. The report thread was always a chore. I'll bet they don't see much "action" here, lol.
Yeah I felt being a mod here was pure privilege. It wasn’t like doing any kind of “work” or taking a lot of “action”. Mainly to keep the peace and keep the FUN going. :D

The atmosphere here is already 99% peaceful and fun. So yeah, like you said, not much action to take.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I felt being a mod here was pure privilege. It wasn’t like doing any kind of “work” or taking a lot of “action”. Mainly to keep the peace and keep the FUN going. :D

The atmosphere here is already 99% peaceful and fun. So yeah, like you said, not much action to take.
Yeah, here would be nice. I just stopped posting over at Xbox because it was starting to feel like work. The report thread was almost never caught up and constant bickering over who does what (or doesn't do enough). I participate on forums for fun. I don't want to feel like I die a little inside everytime I log onto a site, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis