RBH Sound Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got word that my RBH speakers should be ready to ship out either Friday or Monday. Fingers crossed. :)

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Nice. I remember getting word when mine shipped. Exciting.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet! I got my new toys in last night :p
Ah, so I see the R500 & R200C in your Sig. Very good. Looking up. :D

Of course, the SX-T2/R were in my Sig 3 months ago too, but that didn't mean anything. :D

BTW, have you hooked the new R500 & R200C up and dialed them all in? ;)

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
If you don't have photo hosting yet, get it, so we can see a couple dozen pics of the new rooms set up!!!!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
BTW, have you hooked the new R500 & R200C up and dialed them all in? ;)
They're hooked up, and I did some initial setup, but I'll spend some extra time dialing them in and listening this weekend. In terms of build quality / fit & finish, I'm impressed, though the Q700s / Q600c didn't exactly set a high bar in that respect. The knuckle rap test is appropriately dead, and the pair seem to be well matched (the Q700's had a pretty wide gap for trim correction).

J

jnboone

Junior Audioholic
Advice please!
I was looking at getting 661/R's up front and 61/R's on the side to go along with my SVS SB13. It ends up I'm moving (will still be renting so no absolute permanent room yet). The new room is huge 24x24x12. I'm definitely going to 7.2 adding another SB13, either the dipole/bipole/R's on the sides or another pair of 61/R's. The question is do I change the front and center speakers knowing I'm adding a second sub. I'm 50/50 music/movies. Does it make sense to look at the 8300/R's? The 6100 C/R? I like to play the sub's with my music, listen to as much of it on blu-ray concerts as possible though. I do like it loud. I know eventually I'll add an amp, but would going with the 8300's necessitate it immediately (have Denon 4520 AVR)? I can't afford the amp now if I upgrade all the speakers, and I certainly don't want it to sound half-assed.

Since I'm not buying a house yet would it make more sense to leave the front's and center unchanged and work toward 9.2 or 11.2? I prefer not to buy anything that I will ultimately have to replace. If the 661's would not be wasted somewhere other than the main fronts I could always add bigger fronts later. If it will be a total waste to have them other than in the front I'd like to know it now. What would y'all recommend as I add front heights, wide, and rear heights?

Thank you very much for your help!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK... Friday and Monday have passed. Shipped?
Have not spoken to my dealer yet. RBH said they would ship by Fri or Mon to my Dealer (most likely by Freight). Probably takes 4-5 days. My dealer may have them by this Friday. So I will call him this Friday if he does not call me first. Fingers crossed. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Advice please!
I was looking at getting 661/R's up front and 61/R's on the side to go along with my SVS SB13. It ends up I'm moving (will still be renting so no absolute permanent room yet). The new room is huge 24x24x12. I'm definitely going to 7.2 adding another SB13, either the dipole/bipole/R's on the sides or another pair of 61/R's. The question is do I change the front and center speakers knowing I'm adding a second sub. I'm 50/50 music/movies. Does it make sense to look at the 8300/R's? The 6100 C/R? I like to play the sub's with my music, listen to as much of it on blu-ray concerts as possible though. I do like it loud. I know eventually I'll add an amp, but would going with the 8300's necessitate it immediately (have Denon 4520 AVR)? I can't afford the amp now if I upgrade all the speakers, and I certainly don't want it to sound half-assed.

Since I'm not buying a house yet would it make more sense to leave the front's and center unchanged and work toward 9.2 or 11.2? I prefer not to buy anything that I will ultimately have to replace. If the 661's would not be wasted somewhere other than the main fronts I could always add bigger fronts later. If it will be a total waste to have them other than in the front I'd like to know it now. What would y'all recommend as I add front heights, wide, and rear heights?

Thank you very much for your help!
There is no right or wrong way. I think the 661/R would be great as main fronts in your 24' x 24' room. Seating distance probably 15 FT? Getting dual SVS subs would also be great. 61/R would be more than great for surround sides and/or rears.

The 8300/R would give more dynamics and probably look better aesthetically (to me). Each 8300/R would equal about one SX-1010 subwoofer. So a pair of 8300/R would equal about 2 SX-1010 subwoofers. This would equal two SX-1010 subs + one SVS sub = 3 subs. The 661/R would also work great for surrounds.

So either way would work well. No right or wrong.

Regarding the 6100C/R for center speaker, I don't think that's necessary. I would not spend the money for that. :D

So if you have absolutely no desire or tendency towards having big bad towers, I think the 661 + 61 + dual SVS would be great.

If you have the desire for big towers and want even more dynamics just in case, the 8300 + 661 + 61 + single SVS would be great.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Have not spoken to my dealer yet. RBH said they would ship by Fri or Mon to my Dealer (most likely by Freight). Probably takes 4-5 days. My dealer may have them by this Friday. So I will call him this Friday if he does not call me first. Fingers crossed. :D
Remember, to bend with your legs We don't want to hear some whinny excuse that you hurt your back moving these speakers into your home and around your floor. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Remember, to bend with your legs We don't want to hear some whinny excuse that you hurt your back moving these speakers into your home and around your floor. :D
Yeah, every time I lift anything (or anyone :D) my first thought is "Watch the back!"

I remember back in college 20+ years ago when I took a weight training class as my elective. :D When lifting, keep the back vertically straight, look up, bend the knees, pretend you are squatting weights. :D

But the reason I like these RBH towers is that they are modular. Thus, although the entire tower may be a total of about 140lbs, the top and bottom cabinets are only about 70lbs each. It's still a little heavy, but 70lbs is not too bad. It's like lifting a 70lbs child. Still could hurt your back if lifting improperly. :eek:

But when I do get those RBH, my adrenaline level will be quite high for sure. I will be totally pumped. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, every time I lift anything (or anyone :D) my first thought is "Watch the back!"

I remember back in college 20+ years ago when I took a weight training class as my elective. :D When lifting, keep the back vertically straight, look up, bend the knees, pretend you are squatting weights. :D

But the reason I like these RBH towers is that they are modular. Thus, although the entire tower may be a total of about 140lbs, the top and bottom cabinets are only about 70lbs each. It's still a little heavy, but 70lbs is not too bad. It's like lifting a 70lbs child. Still could hurt your back if lifting improperly. :eek:

But when I do get those RBH, my adrenaline level will be quite high for sure. I will be totally pumped. :D

Adrenaline works...only for long as it lasts...you will feel the burn afterwards, but no pain, no gain :)

I did not enjoy moving my 100lbs Triton Ones up/down stairs, but it is doable and fortunately your speakers are in 2 pieces which should make the trip a lot less painful. I am curious your feedback once they are up

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Adrenaline works...only for long as it lasts...you will feel the burn afterwards, but no pain, no gain :)

I did not enjoy moving my 100lbs Triton Ones up/down stairs, but it is doable and fortunately your speakers are in 2 pieces which should make the trip a lot less painful. I am curious your feedback once they are up
My initial impression of the T2 (standard drivers, boxy cabinets) were about 4 years ago before I bought the Salon2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, B&W 802D2, Phil3, etc. At the time, I thought the T2 were the best sounding speakers I've heard. That hasn't changed. Only problem was that they were ugly. :D

The dealer offered to sell me the T2 for 50% MSRP at the time. :D

But my new speakers will be the SX-T2/R (upgraded Reference drivers, curved cabinets). I will definitely write a review once I get them. They better sound at least as good as the old T2 speakers! :eek: :D

Last edited:
J

jnboone

Junior Audioholic
Thank you very much! 661's on the sides or 66's? If I go with the 8300's and one sub should I start with the one sub up front or to the rear of the room? How low would you go on the crossover? I'm doing this (at least the movie part) mostly for my kids. I want to make sure they feel the bass.

Lastly will I need an amp immediately if I go with the 8300's?

I greatly appreciate the help!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you very much! 661's on the sides or 66's? If I go with the 8300's and one sub should I start with the one sub up front or to the rear of the room? How low would you go on the crossover? I'm doing this (at least the movie part) mostly for my kids. I want to make sure they feel the bass.

Lastly will I need an amp immediately if I go with the 8300's?

I greatly appreciate the help!
661 for surround sides.

One sub in front close to middle between the two 8300 towers. This would equal to 3 subwoofers in front. They will feel the bass like an earthquake.

XO of 80Hz is a good point.

To active bi-amp the 8300's subwoofer, you will need a subwoofer amp like the $300 HSU 500W amp. One HSU amp can power both towers' subwoofers. So power the 8300s' sub like you would power a passive subwoofer. 1 LFE goes to the SVS. 1 LFE goes to the HSU sub amp. The HSU sub amp will then power both 8300s' subs.

HSU 500 Watt Amplifier for TN Series

J

jnboone

Junior Audioholic
Thank you very much! Whenever I get to the point of going to 9.1 would you add front heights or front wides? Which speaker would you use? Would you stay in the reference series for those?

Will I also need an amp to drive what will effectively be the 5 661's (two on the top half of the 8300's, center, and sides)? With my Denon 4520 is that something that can comfortably wait, or is it something needed very soon?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you very much! Whenever I get to the point of going to 9.1 would you add front heights or front wides? Which speaker would you use? Would you stay in the reference series for those?

Will I also need an amp to drive what will effectively be the 5 661's (two on the top half of the 8300's, center, and sides)? With my Denon 4520 is that something that can comfortably wait, or is it something needed very soon?
Front Heights.

The standard non-reference series 61 will be great enough.

I think the Denon 4520 alone is more than enough for the 5 speakers. Set speakers to small, XO 80Hz, and bi-amp the 8300s w/ LFE & external amp (like HSU sub amp).

No need for additional amps until you just have the itch like the rest of us and want something like an ATI AT2005. But it most likely won't be because you actually need the amp. You just want one. ;)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis