RBH Sound Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Very nice. I love the way they're in separate modules. I'd love to give them a listen.
Yeah, carrying a 100-pound cabinet sure is a lot easier than a 200-pound cabinet. :D

I was able to set up the towers all by myself with ease.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
RBH SVT Tower Review Part 1

The SVT tower is RBH's new flagship tower. As one of the towers mentioned in the "Towers of Power" article, the SVT tower promises excellent dynamic range, bass extension, SPL, and accuracy.

The drivers include:

1. Tweeter - One Aurum Cantus AST25120 4.72"x1" Aluminum Diaphragm
2. Midrange - Three RBH Dispersion-Averaging 8" Aluminum Cone
3. Woofer - Two RBH 12" Aluminum Cone

Frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB. Sensitivity is 93dB/2.83V/m. Impedance is 4 ohms. The SV-831 top cabinet is rated for 100-500 watts. SV-1212N bottom cabinet is rated for 200-500 watts power handling. If you get the SV-1212NR bottom cabinet, power handling is 500-2,400 watts.

MSRP are as follows:
SV-831 $2,520
SV-1212N $1,610
SV-1212P $2,430
SV-1212NR $2,590
SV-1212PR $5,300

SVT-831/1212N = $8,260/pair MSRP
SVT-831/1212P = $9,900/pair MSRP
SVT-831/1212NR = $10,220/pair MSRP
SVT-831/1212PR = $15,640/pair MSRP

I got the SVT-831/1212N towers in piano gloss black finish. My house’s colors are Sherwin Williams Repose Gray, Gauntlet Gray, and Extra White, and the floors are white/gray Stonepeak Statuarietto porcelain tiles, which I think matches well with the piano gloss black finish. These SVT towers replace the red Linkwitz Orion towers that I recently sold. My wife thanks me for this aesthetic change because she doesn't feel red goes very well with our new home decor. :D

The SVT's piano gloss black finish reminds me of another pair of piano gloss black loudspeakers I recently sold - the B&W 802 D2 towers. The dimensions also remind me of the 802 Diamond. They both have about the same 200 pounds weight, 15" width, and 22" depth. However, the RBH SVT tower is significantly taller - about 14" taller than the 802 Diamond. In the height department, the SVT is also 8" taller than another shiny piano gloss towers I recently sold - the Revel Salon2. In terms of piano gloss aesthetics, I think the SVT tower is on par with the 802 Diamond and Salon2.

The SVT tower is a "modular" tower. It consists of two separate 30-inch-100-lb cabinets that form one massive 61-inch-200-lb tower when stacked together (the speaker feet adds another inch). There is also a black metal plate that screws into the back of the speakers and joins the top and bottom cabinets for additional stability. However, even without the back metal plates and screws, I believe the speakers are already very stable on the California Shag rug and tile floor.

Each SVT tower can be configured as one passive speaker ($200-$300/pair Internal passive crossover or $500-$600/pair External passive crossover available, 1 CH of amps per tower) or as 2 separate speakers (recommended).

I highly recommend configuring each SVT tower as 2 separate speakers. It costs less money than a single-passive-tower configuration, and I truly believe it will sound a lot better since you can control the bass cabinet a lot more this way. In this configuration, you are actively bi-amping each tower, not passive. And we all know active bi-amp is always better than passive bi-amp.;)

When each tower is configured as 2 separate speakers (as recommended), you need to use 2 CH of amps per tower. It is recommended to use a regular amp (like the ATI AT3002) to power the top cabinet. And use a subwoofer amp (like the RBH SA-500DSP) to power the bottom subwoofer cabinet.

For my living room system, I use the Denon X3100 to power the 2 top cabinets and a single RBH SA-500DSP subwoofer amp to power the 2 bottom cabinets in series.

The SA-500DSP amp has 2 main modes. The "Sub" mode allows more manual EQ control, while the "LFE" mode assumes that the AVR is doing most of the EQ function. I let Audyssey do the automatic EQ and use Audyssey Dynamic EQ. Thus, I chose the "LFE" mode on the SA-500DSP.

My living room is 22'Wx23'Dx13'H and is open to the formal dining, foyer, breakfast, and kitchen. The SVT towers are placed 8 FT apart from each other on area rugs flanking the 65" Sony TV and built-in A/V stand, and 7 FT from the sidewalls. The room has a 10'x12' thick shag area rug. Other than the sofas, pillows, and rug, there is no acoustic room treatment. For serious listening and when the wife is not around, I would pull the speakers 24 inches from the front wall. Otherwise, the speakers sit 6 inches from the front walls. :D

After applying Audyssey, I casually listened to a few songs in a process of “warming up” or “breaking in” the speakers (and my psychoacoustics). ;)

I will be listening a lot more intently to these songs next week when I have more time:

Trevor Jones- The Kiss (Last of the Mohicans)
Ennio Morricone – Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone album
Sarah Jarosz - Long Journey
Dave Matthews - Out of my Hands
Eagles - Hotel California
Death Cab for Cutie - I will Follow You into the Dark
Handsome Family - Far from Any Road
Lindsey Sterling - Crystallize
The Engineers - Do the Buildings and Cops Make You Smile
Adele - Don't You Remember
Beth Nielsen Chapman - Say Goodnight
Jeff Buckley - New Years Prayer
The Woods - 6 Feet Under
The Wallflowers - One Headlight
Olin and The Moon - Not in Love
Mindy Gledhill - Anchor
Eva Cassidy - Time After Time
Five for Fighting - Superman
Lifehouse - You and Me
Marie Digby - Spell
Greg Laswell - High and Low
Travis - My Eyes
Sixpence None The Richer - Don't Dream It's Over
Cat Power - Sea of Love

Right off the bat, everything sounded great with amazing details. I’ll elaborate more once I have a chance to listen more critically.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can this now fairly be considered your "better" system (based on the level of RBH speakers used)?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can this now fairly be considered your "better" system (based on the level of RBH speakers used)?
Thus far I think it may be.

I knew that the bass would be better (bigger woofers and cabinet).

The midrange has the same Average-Dispersion Array configuration and has 18 inches square surface area more, so I knew it would be at least as good.

So the only question was the 4.72"x1" AMT tweeter vs 3 x 1" dome tweeters. I need to compare more, but so far the details and clarity of the 4.72"x1" AMT tweeter seem pretty awesome.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
I'm a little jelly! I am disappointed that the 8300s are gone. I have a set for the front and wanted to eventually have a set for the rears of my HT. I think the 831/1212 are out of my reach, money wise. Although I would love a set of even larger towers than the 8300s.

Needless to say, despite mine not being the "R" series, they sound great and have excellent bass response. I smile every time I play them. I could have save a ton of money early on by getting these first instead of trying 133 different setups.

Thus far I think it may be.

I knew that the bass would be better (bigger woofers and cabinet).

The midrange has the same Average-Dispersion Array configuration and has 18 inches square surface area more, so I knew it would be at least as good.

So the only question was the 4.72"x1" AMT tweeter vs 3 x 1" dome tweeters. I need to compare more, but so far the details and clarity of the 4.72"x1" AMT tweeter seem pretty awesome.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a little jelly! I am disappointed that the 8300s are gone. I have a set for the front and wanted to eventually have a set for the rears of my HT. I think the 831/1212 are out of my reach, money wise. Although I would love a set of even larger towers than the 8300s.

Needless to say, despite mine not being the "R" series, they sound great and have excellent bass response. I smile every time I play them. I could have save a ton of money early on by getting these first instead of trying 133 different setups.
You could have saved a ton money? You and me both. :D

Looking back, I still can't believe at one point, I had at the same time 3 pairs of KEF 201/2, pair of Revel Salon 2, B&W 802 Diamond, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, TAD, ATC, Dynaudio, and Focal speakers. :eek:

Yeah, I don't think you need the Reference series to sound awesome because the standard version already sounds awesome. It's the same with the Beryllium drivers IMO. It's definitely fancier, but not really necessary IMO. :D

I was hoping RBH would have a replacement for the 8300 also, like a SV-8300.

I wouldn't mind a SV-T2 tower to replace the SX-T2 also. :D

I listened to the SV831/1212 some more last night for about an hour. Absolutely amazing detail and clarity throughout. I still haven't compared the SVT to the SX-T2 yet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just wanted to update a little. It's been over a month now. I've been listening this morning to my SVT towers for 3 hours straight.

Absolutely awe-inspiring. Unequivocally breathtaking. Ultimate clarity. Massive soundstage. Pinpoint imaging. Tight thunderous petrifying bass.

The only problem with large heavy speakers is that now that they are perfectly placed, I have absolutely no desires or intentions to move them for the purchase of comparing speakers.

So my SX-T2/R towers and SVT towers will never be in the same room. :D

I still don't want to compare them until the "honeymoon" period is over. :D

Last edited:
LandonD

LandonD

Audiophyte
How is the low end with the 8" drivers (if you've run them without the 1212)? I don't have much experience with them. My SV-6500/R's are great, with the exception that the 6.5" drivers just aren't made for low end duty. The dust capped signature drivers fall on their face during certain notes when running off of a single amplifier channel. I haven't experienced this with the 12" drivers in my 1266-SE/R's.
Otherwise, the AMT tweets are very analytical and detailed, compared to the warmer sound of the 9500 ScanSpeak drivers. I can't say one top end is better than the other, as I do like both for different reasons. They both sound excellent in their own respects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How is the low end with the 8" drivers (if you've run them without the 1212)?
The SV831's 8" drivers definitely have more bass authority and punch than the 6.5" drivers. It goes down to 50Hz @ -3dB.

LandonD

LandonD

Audiophyte
The SV831's 8" drivers definitely have more bass authority and punch than the 6.5" drivers. It goes down to 50Hz @ -3dB.
I probably should have been more specific - have you heard them break up, as I'm hearing with my smaller drivers?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Always thought the top end on my SX-6300R's were not that great. I bet these new ones with the different ribbons would be great. I no longer have the income flow I used to have to buy all this audio stuff. I am stuck with my SX6300. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Always thought the top end on my SX-6300R's were not that great. I bet these new ones with the different ribbons would be great. I no longer have the income flow I used to have to buy all this audio stuff. I am stuck with my SX6300. :D
The SVT's AMT tweeter has 6 times the surface area of the SX-6300/R's ScanSpeak tweeter and most speakers out there. :D

The SVT tower's AMT tweeter has 2.5 times the surface area of the ScanSpeak tweeters in the SX-T2/R.

The SX-T2/R's tweeters have 3 times the surface area of most speakers.

So that might be a possible reason why prefer the sound of the SX-T2/R tower and especially the SVT tower over the other speakers. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just wanted to share a little news.

I was told that RBH is looking into selling a Multi-Channel high quality affordable Amp, although details are lacking since it's still a long way to go.

I really hope this comes into fruition. Also hopes it's class-D. :D

I'm sure Gene will be the first to review the amp if RBH proceed with it. :D

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Nice. RBH seems to be building their business a bit. Online ordering and more products. Hard to compete with how nice their quality is on the SX-6300R. I just wish they leaned towards my type of sound for audio. In my HT set up they are great.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. RBH seems to be building their business a bit. Online ordering and more products. Hard to compete with how nice their quality is on the SX-6300R. I just wish they leaned towards my type of sound for audio. In my HT set up they are great.
As I'm sure you already found out, a lot of times that "SOUND" has a lot to do with the room itself and the type of speakers (passive vs active subwoofer bass).

So a lot of times it's about matching your room with certain speakers.

With Active speakers (treble and bass), you could increase or decrease both the treble and bass to suit your room and preference - make it "bright in the treble" or less "muddy in the bass" by adjusting the output of the tweeter and woofer.

I never like to mess with the treble, but I love adjusting the bass output.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
As I'm sure you already found out, a lot of times that "SOUND" has a lot to do with the room itself and the type of speakers (passive vs active subwoofer bass).

So a lot of times it's about matching your room with certain speakers.

With Active speakers (treble and bass), you could increase or decrease both the treble and bass to suit your room and preference - make it "bright in the treble" or less "muddy in the bass" by adjusting the output of the tweeter and woofer.

I never like to mess with the treble, but I love adjusting the bass output.
Can you send me a PM and let me know how to set a system like this up so I can control both? I think you might have once before but I can not remember. Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can you send me a PM and let me know how to set a system like this up so I can control both? I think you might have once before but I can not remember. Thanks
Well, controlling the bass output is easy. On your RBH SX-6500/R, just remove the jumpers and power the bass separately with a subwoofer amp.

But controlling the treble would require an entirely active speaker (active tweeter and active woofer),NOT just "powered" speakers with built-in amps.

The reason I say this is because there are "powered" speakers that don't let you control the individual/independent treble/bass outputs at all.

When I owned the Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, I could control both the tweeters and woofers output, although I would only adjust the woofers and never adjusted the tweeters.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I've been scouring the internet trying to find information on RBH… I've gone through just about every thread there is and I found AcuDefTechGuy recommending these speakers long before he became a dealer and even before he owned them himself. One of the reasons I stayed away from these forums for so long is because people love to stir up poop and act like 12 year old girls. It's ridiculous - It's obvious he loves these speakers… He owns them. He's been talking about them for at last a year BEFORE he became a dealer. Is he putting a gun to anyones head and forcing them to buy? He's also recommended Revel Performa and Kef's but I don't see him selling those.
Couldn’t have said it better, ADTG has always been an awesome, Forum member for “Go-To-Info”. just as the other old timers on this Thread are. I live in a small town of about 50.000 people and I would say 99.9% think HT in a box at Wal Mart is best ever:eek:. I have very few options for good quality audio video without having to drive 25+ miles. So I rely on the Internet and Genes site for info on gear, so with that said now I know ADTG is also a pharmacist to! How about a some Quaaludes ADTG! o_O:p. lol not really but I will take two 55e Towers, center and rears to match in 6 weeks! :) See guys, knowing good people like ADTG, Gene, Phil, KEW just to mention a few does have privileges, PENG and Gene? I believe are like from the future or something? Can’t sneak nothing past them two guys, a few other in here also. I truly believe Gene is “Clue” from the move “TRON”:p. My point is I speaking for myself could care less who are “Dealers” in here, it has been my Pleasure getting to know the old timers in here.

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis