RBH Sound Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For those who didn't notice, Audioholics has put up a review of the R-55E speakers by Steve Feinstein (measurements by yours truly). Very well-written review by Steve!
Looking at the response from 200Hz-17kHz without the grille, I see that the highest point is 87.5dB at 2kHz and lowest point is 81.5dB, tapering off at the high treble from 17-20Hz.

So looks like the overall response of the R55E is +/- 3.0dB. The 8T and T30/T1 have +/- 2.5dB responses.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Looking at the response from 200Hz-17kHz without the grille, I see that the highest point is 87.5dB at 2kHz and lowest point is 81.5dB, tapering off at the high treble from 17-20Hz.

So looks like the overall response is about +/- 3.0dB.
Some people don’t like a “flat” neutral sounding speakers. Guess you can say that’s RBH’s Signature sound? :p. No really how many speakers out there that distort at or just below reference levels? Lots I would say,

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Some people don’t like a “flat” neutral sounding speakers. Guess you can say that’s RBH’s Signature sound? :p. No really how many speakers out there that distort at or just below reference levels? Lots I would say,

Mike
I would say that a response of +/- 3.0 dB seems to be the"industry standard".

But yeah, of course, response isn't the only thing. Being able to play loud at reference level without distorting means that the speaker is very dynamic, which is just as important, if not more.

I've owned speakers that are +/- 1.0 dB, but they distort at higher volumes.

So as a rule of thumb, I would take speakers that have a response of +/-3.0 dB and are dynamic enough to play reference level without distorting.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Mike
Very true, but it's much easier fo tailor a flat speaker to your liking with EQ, than EQ a non flat response. B&Ws signature sound has always been an elevated midrange, and a lot of people seem to like that.

Reading papers from Sean Olive, Dr. Harmon, and Toole can confirm some of these perceptions.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Very true, but it's much easier fo tailor a flat speaker to your liking with EQ, than EQ a non flat response. B&Ws signature sound has always been an elevated midrange, and a lot of people seem to like that.

Reading papers from Sean Olive, Dr. Harmon, and Toole can confirm some of these perceptions.
EverettT, top of the morning Sir! Have you seen Steve’s review yet? If so what’s you thoughts on them R55E’s.

Mike

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
EverettT, top of the morning Sir! Have you seen Steve’s review yet? If so what’s you thoughts on them R55E’s.

Mike
I have read the review but havent heard the new series yet. RBH has a history of making good speakers, so I suspect the review (subjective side) is very close to the objective measurements.
At the 2k price point there are a few speakers I'd personally prefer over them most likely but I'm sure they're priced well for their performance.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I have read the review but havent heard the new series yet. RBH has a history of making good speakers, so I suspect the review (subjective side) is very close to the objective measurements.
At the 2k price point there are a few speakers I'd personally prefer over them most likely but I'm sure they're priced well for their performance.
They are relatively new and I have not found any Owner’s reviews yet only Pro reviews. I have done at Lot of research on them and I couldn’t find any in that price range that came close to those Elites without moving up to 2.5 or 3K and over.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
B&Ws signature sound has always been an elevated midrange.
You mean elevated +5dB TREBLE at 10kHz?

At 4kHz, it's about +3dB, but I wouldn't call +3dB too elevated since it's within that +/-3dB response "standard".

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
They are relatively new and I have not found any Owner’s reviews yet only Pro reviews. I have done at Lot of research on them and I couldn’t find any in that price range that came close to those Elites without moving up to 2.5 or 3K and over.

Mike
I'd consider the Salk Song Towers, Revel f208 ( which can be had at 2k or slightly below) and the Ascend Sierra Tower to compete very well.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You mean elevated +5dB TREBLE at 10kHz?

At 4kHz, it's about +3dB, but I wouldn't call +3dB too elevated since it's within that +/-3dB response "standard".

Their other lines and previous 800 series have a more pronounced hump lower.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
From Steve’s review and his test results, those Elite speakers seem to be a smooth very detailed sounding speakers with a good low end out put. The gloss black is really nice, makes the aluminum drivers stand out with grills off. Hopefully Gene will give Steve’s review of these awesome speakers their own Thread. I can’t stop staring at those Elite impression speakers.

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I'd consider the Salk Song Towers, Revel f208 ( which can be had at 2k or slightly below) and the Ascend Sierra Tower to compete very well.
Thanks “everettT”’ really appreciated your thoughts, I read a older Thread on speakers where “TLS” has stated that some speaker manufacturers seem to manufacture speakers with elevated kHz around mid-driver to tweeter levels.
I have to agree with him a lot of manufacturers just put out a lot of crappy speakers. Let’s take Polk RTi a9’s for example, a hugh 5Khz hump! Also from the reviews most are saying just how bright the top end is to the point of very fatiguing! those speakers where not a low end speaker going for 1700 a pair not to long ago.
Now there 900 a pair about half price. My point on mentioning those is, why buy a pair of mid level speakers with a bright, ear fatiguing sound? Most that I have researched, between 1500 to 1000 aren’t worth the money they asking for them. I’ve picked up a lot hanging with you guys in here about speaking design and what to look for. Following the Threads and post you guys post up with specs and graphics doesn’t go unnoticed!! Very big Thanks to All the ole Timers on AH!!

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Umm I’m soon to be the proud owner of RBH R55E’s and the matching center all 3 are in Gloss Black! Hopefully they should be in my home by this coming Friday. I have done a ton of Research on RBH very highly regardied company for fine speakers for decades. I want to thank All of the Ole Timer on AH!. Our Leader “Gene” for his time and effort he and his staff that puts into the reviews and testing speakers and gear! A Big shoutout to “ADTG! PENG” “TLS” ;), “Speakerman Phil“ MCODE” “ loveinthehd”;)”. EverettT”!! ;)Trying not to forget anyone so many of you guys are very knowledgeable, “Steve” awesome review!! will post up photos when I get them in and my thoughts. Will be in a 5.1.2 for now! Yamaha 7790 with a Emotiva XPA-5 1st gen will driver the 5. AVR will drive the .2. It’s been 5 years since I’ve had a really good pair of front mains long over do!!:)

PS. I am trying to decide to upgrade my AVR for Yamaha A870 cause can get it new for 498.00. Really good Sub will have to stack up some coin for few months.
Mike

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Congrats on the RBH speakers. I have not heard these, but all of the RBH speakers I have heard offered a very clean sound with an especially (for the price-point) sweet/detailed midrange!

PS. I am trying to decide to upgrade my AVR for Yamaha A870 cause can get it new for 498.00. Really good Sub will have to stack up some coin for few months.
Mike
If you are saying you plan to upgrade to the A870, I would advise against it based on Gene's review of the previous generation A860!
The amp section was less than what it should be and the outputs from the pre-pro were weak:
However, I don't like how offering all of these features has caused compromises in the most important area, POWER. While the RX-A860 is fine driving small bass-managed 8 ohm speakers, this is the first time I'd actually caution people against using 4 ohm speakers or even running 8 ohm tower speakers on the “large” setting. I’ve never said this about a Yamaha before. It's sad that a $400 predecessor from the very same company offered a more robust amp and power section than this product, which has AVENTAGE moniker stamped on it. To pour further salt on the power wound, the preamp out section of this receiver is a bit weak, making it critical to match with a high gain amplifier to ensure the preamp itself doesn't clip while driving external amplification. I'd like to see Yamaha beef up the amp section so the current limiting could be a little less restrictive and for God's sake, please give us a clean 2Vrms output from the pre-outs of ALL your AV receivers!
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a860/conclusion

I would not gamble on these issues being fixed on the newer A870!

That said, you should be okay since you are running an XPA-5. The weak amp section won't matter if you don't use it and Emotiva amps (at least the early ones) always offered high gain which addresses the weak pre-outs.
Still, I would rather get something which could hold its own as an "all-purpose" AVR on the off chance you might decide to use the A870 amp section after all!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Congrats on the RBH speakers. I have not heard these, but all of the RBH speakers I have heard offered a very clean sound with an especially (for the price-point) sweet/detailed midrange!

If you are saying you plan to upgrade to the A870, I would advise against it based on Gene's review of the previous generation A860!
The amp section was less than what it should be and the outputs from the pre-pro were weak:

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a860/conclusion

I would not gamble on these issues being fixed on the newer A870!

That said, you should be okay since you are running an XPA-5. The weak amp section won't matter if you don't use it and Emotiva amps (at least the early ones) always offered high gain which addresses the weak pre-outs.
Still, I would rather get something which could hold its own as an "all-purpose" AVR on the off chance you might decide to use the A870 amp section after all!
KEW, man I had that unit in my cart, I had forgot about those issues. I remember reading Genes review on those very same issues. I just removed it from my cart. I’ll hold up a bit till I can research a little more, Thanks KEW!!

Mike

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

...To pour further salt on the power wound, the preamp out section of this receiver is a bit weak...
I had forgot about those issues.
I recall the amp section being “overprotective” and shutting down. So using your own amp is a good idea.

But I forgot about the Preamp section being weak.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis