Rant: I'm officially ruined for going to the movies

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Draft house

When I lived in Orlando there was a theater like the one Whitey mentioned in Ocoee, Fl. It was called a Draft House. I think it's in Winter Park now. It was fun to go with a larger group. They had couches and over stuffed chairs instead the regular seating. A little expensive and kind of a long drive but a good time.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I really like going out to the theater, not much at "The Mall", but at some of our art houses in Baltimore. The five screen Charles, the centerpiece of the Charles North Art District has food, flix, drinks, bands, live theater and artists' lofts and galleries in a vibrant, urban environment. A commercial chain, The Landmark, on the Harbor East waterfront has food, booze and movies and high quality projection and sound in a downtown environment. Several other theaters in the area round things out and allow me to see most worthwhile movies with a well behaved audience and decent quality presentation. The value of getting out is well worth the hassle and makes watching a movie a social event.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
It finally hit me last night, I think I'm ruined for going to the theatre anymore. Or at the very least, only going to special IMAX presentations.

Last night, I figured I check out Battle for LA (pure popcorn flick) I got there early so I could get my seat in the sweet spot. So I'm all set for a good 2 hour vacation from reality... then the reality of moving going set in.

First it was a group of 6 tweeners out on a field trip that wanted sit together in a line like the girls from the children's book Madeline. Did they ask if I would mind moving, nope. Leader of the clan told me I "needed to move over 2 seats because there were six of them". So I calmly looked up and said "So? 4 on my left and 2 on my right. 4 plus 2 makes six, I'm not moving." So one of the girls in the group asked a guy on the far end to move down one, and then asked me nicely if I wouldn't mind moving over one. So fine, one seat, no big deal.

Then the film started and I noticed the screen was dirty and stained, there was a film scratch through the middle of the screen of the entire movie. Not the green emulsion scratch, but faint little scratches like the print jumped a roller in a previous showing. But I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The sound of the film wasn't that impactful either. For that movie, I should have felt blown away. Oh, and someone brought in a 6 year old kid to see the film too. Not that I hate kids, I don't. I have two young ones, and I didn't take them to see that film.

Now, this used to be my go-to theatre back in the day. But since setting up my own room, I rarely go out to the movies anymore. The last film I saw was IMAX Tron. And before that, I think it was the IMAX 3D of Avatar.

My friends have told me I have a theater killer in my house, I guess last night I realized that the multi-plex was truly dead to me. Kinda sad really.

Oh well, maybe there's a drive-in somewhere close to Philly.

yep ! me too ! I haven't been to a theater in at least 15 years.
and I am good with that.

I think Forrest Gump was the last time I was at a theater.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I hate going to theaters now too. Nothing to do with my home set up. It has more to do with the slow downward spiral of social behavior.
That's what drove me to stay at home.
Same here. I think I even posted an experience some time back.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I hate going to theaters now too. Nothing to do with my home set up. It has more to do with the slow downward spiral of social behavior.
That's what drove me to stay at home.
You're not that bad, Rick.:p

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
It finally hit me last night, I think I'm ruined for going to the theatre anymore. Or at the very least, only going to special IMAX presentations.

Last night, I figured I check out Battle for LA (pure popcorn flick) I got there early so I could get my seat in the sweet spot. So I'm all set for a good 2 hour vacation from reality... then the reality of moving going set in.

First it was a group of 6 tweeners out on a field trip that wanted sit together in a line like the girls from the children's book Madeline. Did they ask if I would mind moving, nope. Leader of the clan told me I "needed to move over 2 seats because there were six of them". So I calmly looked up and said "So? 4 on my left and 2 on my right. 4 plus 2 makes six, I'm not moving." So one of the girls in the group asked a guy on the far end to move down one, and then asked me nicely if I wouldn't mind moving over one. So fine, one seat, no big deal.

Then the film started and I noticed the screen was dirty and stained, there was a film scratch through the middle of the screen of the entire movie. Not the green emulsion scratch, but faint little scratches like the print jumped a roller in a previous showing. But I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The sound of the film wasn't that impactful either. For that movie, I should have felt blown away. Oh, and someone brought in a 6 year old kid to see the film too. Not that I hate kids, I don't. I have two young ones, and I didn't take them to see that film.

Now, this used to be my go-to theatre back in the day. But since setting up my own room, I rarely go out to the movies anymore. The last film I saw was IMAX Tron. And before that, I think it was the IMAX 3D of Avatar.

My friends have told me I have a theater killer in my house, I guess last night I realized that the multi-plex was truly dead to me. Kinda sad really.

Oh well, maybe there's a drive-in somewhere close to Philly.
closest to Philly for a drive in would be Vineland NJ after that Williamsport Pa. :) They both still operate during the summer months.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
We went to the theater to see Battle LA last weekend. I'll only go to the theater if it's a big budget movie like that, that needs to be seen on the big screen. It was a total disappointment. We live in a small town and the theater sucks. I could drive 40 minutes up to San Jose to go to a good theater, but that's too much of a trek for me.

Since it had been out for a few weeks, the movie was showing in one of the smaller theaters. The big main screen at the theater was showing............ Diary of a Wimpy Kid!!!! Are you freakin' kidding me? Why does that stupid movie need to be in the theater with the big screen and big sound.

I might have enjoyed the movie a little more if the theater at least had good sound. I watched Skyline on BD last night and the first thing I thought of as the Universal theme song played was, "This is how Battle LA should have sounded." Lame.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
This is going to be about 4 minutes from my house :)

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/30/2961269/cinemark-plans-14-screen-theater.html said:
Plano-based Cinemark Holdings said it is buying 10 acres in Presidio Junction in far north Fort Worth where it plans a 14-screen, all-digital movie theater.

Presidio Junction is a 300-acre master-planned community of LNR Property Co., which bought the land in 2007. It's at the northwest corner of Interstate 35W, U.S. 287 and North Tarrant Parkway.

Cinemark said the theater will feature its NextGen design concept of the latest technology and amenities. It is scheduled to open by summer 2012, the company said.

It will feature a Cinemark XD Extreme Digital Cinema auditorium, the fourth in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the company said.
I think I'll go there just because they have XD in the name :D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
My wife loves to go to the movies...good thing she has friends to go see the chick flicks with.:cool: I'll go to a sci-fi/action film with her on occasion if I can't wait for it at home.:)
Soooo this....all day!

AMEN BROTHER!

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
The last time we went to see a movie was Avator 3D. A small boy and dad were setting behind us and every 5 minutes the kid would kick the back of my chair. I took this for 30 minutes before asking (nice) the Dad to Please stop his son from doing this. 5 minutes later he started kicking the back of my chair . I again turned and asked nice again for the child to stop. It started again so I got to go to the manager and noticed a empty chair behind the Dad................. so sat down behind the Dad I stated kicking the back of his chair.....he turned around to say someting and I asked him how he liked it???? No answer, so I kicked his chair again and asked him again how did he like it??? I am 6'3" 235 so not a small Man but I did not invite him outside (20 years ago I would have);) I got up and sat back down in my chair and the boy and the dad moved from where they were setting. My wife was pissed at me for doing this. Oh well I don't have to see chick flicks anymore.:D
Now we have a nice HT System and I can pause for a drink or restroom run.
Best money I have ever spent. 3D is cool but not a format I will buy and watch everyday. Bluray has better color and and more detail.

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
I rarely @ the local movie theaters too. Its hard for me to fork up $40 for 3 of us to watch a film for 1.5 hrs or less (most of the time) (with drink / popcorn).

If I do go, I do enjoy going to Alamo Drafthouse, which serves beer and actual food :)

On certain nights they play some "very out-there" kind of movies. Maybe it's the whole Austin keep weird thang going on.

E

EDM95

Audioholic Intern
That's why when me and the wife go the movies we go early in the day when all the loud mouths are at school. I went to watch a movie once and kids were talking loud repeating every line from the movie when other people had not yet watched the movie. :mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis