Rant: I'm officially ruined for going to the movies

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
It finally hit me last night, I think I'm ruined for going to the theatre anymore. Or at the very least, only going to special IMAX presentations.

Last night, I figured I check out Battle for LA (pure popcorn flick) I got there early so I could get my seat in the sweet spot. So I'm all set for a good 2 hour vacation from reality... then the reality of moving going set in.

First it was a group of 6 tweeners out on a field trip that wanted sit together in a line like the girls from the children's book Madeline. Did they ask if I would mind moving, nope. Leader of the clan told me I "needed to move over 2 seats because there were six of them". So I calmly looked up and said "So? 4 on my left and 2 on my right. 4 plus 2 makes six, I'm not moving." So one of the girls in the group asked a guy on the far end to move down one, and then asked me nicely if I wouldn't mind moving over one. So fine, one seat, no big deal.

Then the film started and I noticed the screen was dirty and stained, there was a film scratch through the middle of the screen of the entire movie. Not the green emulsion scratch, but faint little scratches like the print jumped a roller in a previous showing. But I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The sound of the film wasn't that impactful either. For that movie, I should have felt blown away. Oh, and someone brought in a 6 year old kid to see the film too. Not that I hate kids, I don't. I have two young ones, and I didn't take them to see that film.

Now, this used to be my go-to theatre back in the day. But since setting up my own room, I rarely go out to the movies anymore. The last film I saw was IMAX Tron. And before that, I think it was the IMAX 3D of Avatar.

My friends have told me I have a theater killer in my house, I guess last night I realized that the multi-plex was truly dead to me. Kinda sad really.

Oh well, maybe there's a drive-in somewhere close to Philly.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It finally hit me last night, I think I'm ruined for going to the theatre anymore. Or at the very least, only going to special IMAX presentations.

Last night, I figured I check out Battle for LA (pure popcorn flick) I got there early so I could get my seat in the sweet spot. So I'm all set for a good 2 hour vacation from reality... then the reality of moving going set in.

First it was a group of 6 tweeners out on a field trip that wanted sit together in a line like the girls from the children's book Madeline. Did they ask if I would mind moving, nope. Leader of the clan told me I "needed to move over 2 seats because there were six of them". So I calmly looked up and said "So? 4 on my left and 2 on my right. 4 plus 2 makes six, I'm not moving." So one of the girls in the group asked a guy on the far end to move down one, and then asked me nicely if I wouldn't mind moving over one. So fine, one seat, no big deal.

Then the film started and I noticed the screen was dirty and stained, there was a film scratch through the middle of the screen of the entire movie. Not the green emulsion scratch, but faint little scratches like the print jumped a roller in a previous showing. But I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The sound of the film wasn't that impactful either. For that movie, I should have felt blown away. Oh, and someone brought in a 6 year old kid to see the film too. Not that I hate kids, I don't. I have two young ones, and I didn't take them to see that film.

Now, this used to be my go-to theatre back in the day. But since setting up my own room, I rarely go out to the movies anymore. The last film I saw was IMAX Tron. And before that, I think it was the IMAX 3D of Avatar.

My friends have told me I have a theater killer in my house, I guess last night I realized that the multi-plex was truly dead to me. Kinda sad really.

Oh well, maybe there's a drive-in somewhere close to Philly.
I feel for you.
One thing I have come to accept and do is not to go the first 2 to 3 weeks, then the theaters are almost empty and at least don't have to deal with the people.
Have you talked to the manager about the screen/film issue? sent email to HQ? May or may not work.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think I've ever liked the movie theater. It's too expensive for what you get and you run the risk of people that can't behave properly in public. I don't think I've ever been impressed with the sound quality either. A very modest home system (by AH standards) smokes the SQ at the theater IMO.

My wife loves to go to the movies...good thing she has friends to go see the chick flicks with.:cool: I'll go to a sci-fi/action film with her on occasion if I can't wait for it at home.:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm only interested in the IMAX late shows with on line ticket sales that reserve your seats. Punks and baby momma don't seem to be able to get it together for that. Nothing I've seen rivals that 6 story screen and the audio certainly surpasses my system ... maybe not Jeff's for bass and maybe not Rick's for whatever the Sig8's do so well but it certainly beats the sh!t out of my system.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The multiplex has been dead to me for years. I only go when buddies want to hang out, it is in 3D, or IMAX, otherwise I will happily watch at home. We have movie night at my place normally because we can hang out just as well here AND drink beer :)

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
i hear ya, save your money & get comfy & get hammered.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I never go to a theater with high expectations. Though I rarely even go, I usually find fault with something. I think most of us HT enthusiasts are often disappointed with the theater experience. I would rather watch at home ;)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
we go out now&then. usually when i have a day off during the week. the place is pretty empty at that time.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
My wife and I seldom go to the movies for many of the same reasons.
We can't stand people talking on their cell phones during the movie, general conversations during the movie, etc.
If we do go to a theatre we also wait until the movie has been playing for 2+ weeks then make an effort not to go on a weekend or during the "busy" hours.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for your feedback guys, I appreciate it.

I may still write a letter to the theatre manager as well as AMC regarding my experiences, but the reality is that I've gotten myself spoiled by my home setup, and low tolerances for people's lack of social graces.

Now if only Epson would put out a 3D projector that doesn't need glasses and will get me a cold beer when I ask for one!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While I do prefer my own system, like most here the problem isn't the theater, it is the moronic patrons. I do tend to go at odd hours also, either first showing/early or really late or during the week to avoid the typical dregs. The fact that I have to do that to enjoy a film means I am less likely to go. There are times where I see a trailer and think "I'd probably like to see that on the big screen." and then think to myself that I don't want to deal with those people and just wait to rent or buy it.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
My wife and I used to enjoy going out to the movies "back in the day", but outings at the movie theatre are extremely rare for us now. Since my daughter was born eight years ago, I don't think I've seen more than ten at the theatre - if that many. It just wasn't convenient and we certainly weren't going to pay $30 to a babysitter.

We very rarely rented either, because my daughter had issues with going to bed while my wife and I went to the basement to watch TV. I'm kinda glad now, because if we had been renting, we would've been watching on my old 36" CRT. She has finally gotten over her fears and with my recently installed projector, I can watch a whole backlog of older releases on BD for a fraction of the cost of going to the theatre or renting new releases. :D

Some things just work out for the better.:D

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
If the wife tells me I have to go to the movies I will go, or on the rare time the fellas want to get together to go. Even then the wife knows if it's not IMAX I'll whine the whole time. I start getting pissy about the low quality image, bad contrast aweful black levels... etc. If it's a HUGE movie like avatar the experience of seeing with a bunch of people can be cool though, similarly to going to a concert rather than watching it from my couch.

I also hate that the sweet spot for sound/ bass in my local theater is dead center in the theater. That means I'll be surrounded by fools. It also means that the screen is all that less impressive than if I am in the first few rows.

The other factor is that if me and the W catch a flick in IMAX it's almost as much as a new BRD. Add in any snack and I'm effed. It also encourages us to "grab a bite" at some resteraunt neither of us really love so we can get there on time.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I think this process is I'm leaning toward going forward. Battle of LA would have been a great popcorn disc for the theatre, not so much for going out to see.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I haven't been to a theater in years, everything about movie watching is better at home. The only potential negative is I have to wait a while for the Bluray to be released for rental.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
And for myself I rarely rent new releases. By the time they come out I know whether they are going to go into my personal library or not. But it seems that every year the time period between theatrical release and BR is getting shorter.

Of course there is that drought that happens between May & October for any decent releases. But I guess the studios have caught on that if there is a good DVD release why would people go to the movies.

Too many accountants for my taste in Hollywood these days.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
We RARELY go to the theater, much prefer the privacy and quiet of our own private system.....but, that said, we do still get there on the odd occasion with a larger group.

We go to a place called Cinnebare, a theater that has decent food-service and ALCOHOL!!!!
We will go to a film that has been out for a couple of weeks and go late on a weeknight and are nearly guaranteed to be alone in the theater, because WE end up being the annoying ones in a large group. The sound is pretty lack-luster there, but it's a lot of fun to go with our friend's have a somewhat hefty amount of drinks and a burger while we halfway watch a movie.

$10 a ticket + average pricing on food and drinks, just combines the dinner and a movie thing into 1 experience. You write down your order and put it in a thing in front of you, and the waiter quietly comes and grabs it and gets it taken care of. Huge seats with tables in front of you.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
There used to be a place like that in Tampa I used to go to. Where you could get dinner, beer, and watch relatively current releases. The screen and sound sucked, the food was okay (ie Applebee's type fare) but I remember having fun with my friends.

I gotta see if Philly has something like that.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I still enjoy going to the movies. There are plenty of theaters around here in fort worth, but the one closest to my house is usually where I go. Bad: the theater usually smells weird, and the sound system isn't as great as others. Good: 5 minutes from the house.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis