Questions on stepping up to making higher quality speaker wire

Snakebitten

Snakebitten

Audioholic Intern
Not sure of the gauge on those jumpers WOTV. They came with the speakers. I initially thought of feeding both sections by bi-wiring/biamping but after reading up on some articles posted in this thread and the knowledgeable members in this thread, it seems pointless sonically. I was going to do 10 gauge to woofer and 14 gauge to mid/high initially but unfortunately the 10 gauge is too fat for the pants I have so that will be tabled for a future time. I like the the look of four banana plugs in the back of the speaker even if there is no sonic improvement so it will be done in the future:)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I don’t “need” the 10G I just wanted to make my own cables and make them purdy:D I already have 14G on the system that I made out of generic ofc and it sounds great. I really don’t expect an improvement with the 10G after all I’ve read, both from what you guys have said and from articles. The runs are only 8’ each to the MA’s.

You guys have given me a lot to think about as you have seen. I just want purdy homemade overkill cables like AQ, Cardas etc make but with less than $50 spent.
I've occasionally read this thread with mild interest. It seemed innocent enough, and plenty of posters did tell the OP to have fun but don't expect it to sound different.

Then I read this:
Well finished up the 10 gauge last night. Used Blue Jeans 10 gauge, Amazon sourced GLS locking banana plugs, KnuKonceptz pants, some shrink tubing and Flexo PET black/red. Total cost not including the shrink tubing was $67. Looks pretty good to me.

Now for the sound:

Oh my goodness. I was blown away by the effervescent depth of the sound stage. The intricate way in which the speakers now etched each instrument on my ear drums was otherworldly. It was as if I was transported to the very stage Ms. Krall was performing. It was so beguiling that it conjured images in my mind of her actually being there. It was almost as if I was in a dream but fully awake.

Needless to say this was unexpected. It’s my duty to bring this experience to the masses. It would be a sin not to. I will make these cables for anyone at a huge discount for a mere $1500.
I read this with growing alarm. I had been lulled by Snakebitten's posts about wanting to decorate his speaker cables, only to be surprised by his dubious claims about improved sound. Have we been exposed to a stealth Cable Fable troll?

Your 'experience' of being 'blown away' by better sound suffers from the worst kind of expectation bias. DIY tweaks can create this in some people more so than spending large amounts of cash.

Your claim is extraordinary. Have you done anything to verify that its for real and not due to wishful thinking? Did you cut new ends on your old 14g cable, removing the old and possibly frayed or oxidized ends? It would be unfair to compare two cables without making sure both cable had freshly cut ends. Did you try listening to both 14 and 10 gauge cables while blinded, without knowing which cable was used? Did anyone else also hear the same effect as you claim? I could go on, but my point is that any claims of vastly improved sound due to new speaker cables (8 feet of 14g vs. 8 feet of 10g), regardless of the cost, cannot go unchallenged. I feel it's my duty to question Snakebitten's claim. It would be a sin not to ;).

Perhaps Snakebitten should change his online name to Snakeoiled.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've occasionally read this thread with mild interest. It seemed innocent enough, and plenty of posters did tell the OP to have fun but don't expect it to sound different.

Then I read this:
I read this with growing alarm. I had been lulled by Snakebitten's posts about wanting to decorate his speaker cables, only to be surprised by his dubious claims about improved sound. Have we been exposed to a stealth Cable Fable troll?

Your 'experience' of being 'blown away' by better sound suffers from the worst kind of expectation bias. DIY tweaks can create this in some people more so than spending large amounts of cash.

Your claim is extraordinary. Have you done anything to verify that its for real and not due to wishful thinking? Did you cut new ends on your old 14g cable, removing the old and possibly frayed or oxidized ends? It would be unfair to compare two cables without making sure both cable had freshly cut ends. Did you try listening to both 14 and 10 gauge cables while blinded, without knowing which cable was used? Did anyone else also hear the same effect as you claim? I could go on, but my point is that any claims of vastly improved sound due to new speaker cables (8 feet of 14g vs. 8 feet of 10g), regardless of the cost, cannot go unchallenged. I feel it's my duty to question Snakebitten's claim. It would be a sin not to ;).

Perhaps Snakebitten should change his online name to Snakeoiled.
I read all of that as sarcasm, then if you see post #39, he does say that it was all tongue in cheek.

Snakebitten

Snakebitten

Audioholic Intern
Oh my....LOLOL....An unexpected response to my sarcasm. I thought it was obvious that I was being flippant. I did offer to sell it for $1500. Thought that was a dead giveaway :D

Slippery is right. That part of that post was All tongue in cheek guys....

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Oh my....LOLOL....An unexpected response to my sarcasm. I thought it was obvious that I was being flippant. I did offer to sell it for $1500. Thought that was a dead giveaway :D

Slippery is right. That part of that post was All tongue in cheek guys....
OK, I overlooked the last line in post #39. Chalk it up to the August doldrums. In my (feeble) defense, we have seen trolls before who said similar enough things. Unlike you, they usually weren't quite so subtle about it :).

You never will enjoy the true benefits of your 10 gauge cables on that wood floor obviously finished with polyurethane :rolleyes:. It's almost as bad as putting cables on nylon carpets! Leave the floor unfinished or refinish it with shellac. I'd also remove all the steel nails in the floor and sub-floor and replace them with non-ferrous nails or non-magnetic stainless steel nails. :cool: ;)

Snakebitten

Snakebitten

Audioholic Intern
Hehe...No prob Swerd. I totally understand the response based on a ton of the crazy claims I have read.

Lol. Im thinking sarcasm with your flooring comments. My floor is actually fake wood look vinyl. I will be installing some wood hangers on the wall and mounting the cables on them. I have to get a shorter subwoofer cable from BJC as the one I got is just too long so its coiled up behind the cabinet..

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My floor is actually fake wood look vinyl.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually there have been reports that fake wood vinyl floors do well if you pour KoolAid on them and allow it to dry without mopping it up. There is some debate going on concerning how many coats of KoolAid one should apply. Are three coats enough? Is six too many? (Note: Do not try this with nylon carpets!)

It goes without saying that this requires audiophile-grade KoolAid. If your dealer sells only the run of the mill AudioQuest, Kimber, or Nordost cables, they may not carry it. You can order it online, or DIY – mix it yourself from the standard KoolAid (only the orange flavor), organic sucrose, and double distilled water.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Swerd ( in post #46) it's not nice to take advantage of the technically gullible.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
@Snakebitten They look very, very nice! Wouldn't mind these at all. I have bookshelves so I plan to get angled bananas to give the cable a free fall without tension on the banana.

Your binding posts are low so these make sense. Don't forget to elevate them!!:D:D:D
Elevate the binding posts or the cables? ;) :D :D

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Elevate the binding posts or the cables? ;):D:D
That reminds me; I live in a 16 flat building and a guy who lives beneath me has elevated cables. Are they truly elevated? Can I leave mine on the floor than? Are his...??? submerged?!?! My flat is 8th! Come on people, tell me, can you get more elevated than that? Would you need to elevate them higher?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Highfigh and Killdozzer I was just going off of what I had read on a forum a while ago. Something about it being a poorer conductor than copper etc and that you have to choose the right kind of solder etc...I have no background in metallurgy or electronics so have no idea if it was truth or the same craziness with cable myths etc hence my question here. It was indeed a serious one this time Killdozzer no irony:D

Good to know. I will solder the channels of the banana plug. Now any preferences on the solder to use from you gents?

BTW that article sounds like a good read if you ever find the link.
While solder has more resistance not just a bit more, the total contact area in question is very small compared to even a foot of copper wire.
If one questions solder resistance then they should also question the gold plated contact point as gold has a conductivity index of 65 compared to 100 for copper. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Those cables do look great, nice job.
Now, you have to turn the speakers around 180 so your guests can fully enjoy the the cables. :D :D :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
While solder has more resistance not just a bit more, the total contact area in question is very small compared to even a foot of copper wire.
If one questions solder resistance then they should also question the gold plated contact point as gold has a conductivity index of 65 compared to 100 for copper. ;)
The silver-tin alloy solder has definitely less resistance than the usual lead-tin one. IMO, we should not worry too much about resistance in any case as the soldered connection involves very minute distances if any, hence small overall resistance for practical purposes.

Last edited:
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

Audioholic Intern
That reminds me; I live in a 16 flat building and a guy who lives beneath me has elevated cables. Are they truly elevated? Can I leave mine on the floor than? Are his...??? submerged?!?! My flat is 8th! Come on people, tell me, can you get more elevated than that? Would you need to elevate them higher?
Sad to say Killdozzer but you have move to a higher flat. Your cables and binding posts are not effectively high enough to avoid the electrochemmagnetoflux phenomena that is inevitable when using AQ cables at that level.

Those cables do look great, nice job.
Now, you have to turn the speakers around 180 so your guests can fully enjoy the the cables. :D:D:D
:D:D

Verdinut thanks for that. I will look into soldering it this weekend.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Must be consumed from an oxygen free copper vessel also.

Cable elevation = :rolleyes:o_O

Snakebitten

Snakebitten

Audioholic Intern
Did the wire for my center channel. It’s 14 gauge going to a Def Tech XTR-60 hence the pin connectors.

Pics:

Back of Anthem 1120. Will be jacketing that white subwoofer cable this weekend. Mtrycrafts is right. I will have to turn the speakers and the AV cabinet around so I can show off the cables :D

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
So where do you get that purdy cable wrap? Not the heat shrink near the ends, the audioquest looking stuff? :p

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Black and red are my 2 favorite colors, I'm pretty diehard about it. I might need to wrap my cables in this. 1/4" did the trick?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis