Question about hooking a 2 subs to a box (Car Audio)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
zumbo said:
You need two fuse links. One under the hood (in case of an accident). And a fuse block at the amps.
Right. The amp has fuse blocks on it. More importantly, you need a ground that is meticulously connected to your frame that won't come loose. I can't tell you how many guys blow amps due to improper ground connections.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Right. The amp has fuse blocks on it. More importantly, you need a ground that is meticulously connected to your frame that won't come loose. I can't tell you how many guys blow amps due to improper ground connections.
Yep. I used a solid lead block at the location of the amps. Ran a 4 gauge wire to the rear seat belt bolts which went completely through the boby. I made sure to scrape away the paint to get a good solid ground. Not only will an improper ground ruin equipment, it can make it sound like crap also. :D

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
zumbo said:
His subs are 4ohm. He can't bridge them on that amp he listed. It has to be 1ohm stable like the one you listed.
Just out of curiousity, how many times do you need to repeat yourself before they will listen? ;)

-Chad

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
can anyone answer my question about the JBL amp link I posted in this page? thanks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Junk. I hate JBL. The one you listed is fine for two 6x9's, but not for subs. Now JL Audio, OK.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
RecLodossWar said:
but will it handle my 2 subs or not?
Did you not like my response? Do you think after 128 post things are going to change? An amp that will run two 4ohm subs will have to be stable @1ohm.

DAMN MAN!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
zumbo said:
No. It has to say 1ohm stable to run both of your subs. You can use two of those. Bridge one sub on each amp.
See. Here it is. I answered your question.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Did you answer my question? Do you even know how to bridge the amp you have?

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
no, maybe if I get a cute little diagram, then maybe.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Should be in your manual. I did a search earlier for your model, and couldn't come up with anything. You may have to email Rockford for that information if you don't have the manual.

But, I thought you said you hooked it up the way I said? How can you do that if you don't know how? :confused:

RecLodossWar said:
I hooked it up to one sub and it freakin pounds! you've been all very helpful, especially zumbo. ONE more question. What's the CHEAPEST amp I can get that can handle both subs? Is there a specific one thats on sale that you can recommend? thanks. American/Canadian only please. :)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
RecLodossWar said:
I did it like this http://www14.brinkster.com/meweb01/setup1.gif EXCEPT with only the left sub. Right sub is not connected.
Dude. I told you your diagram needs to have 2(+) and 2(-) for the amp.

Follow the directions on the Rockford diagram list mono(bridged) with one sub. The way you have it, the sub is getting 30watts. If you follow the diagram, it will get 120watts. Huge difference.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Gentlemen, I find myself resolving some issues tonight....I entertained the notion I felt yesterday about never strapping an amp again because of the loss in damping factor....but I know these subs of mine sound better on seperate strapped amps....buddy, when a 4 ohm sub is being hit with 2 ohm watts, you can walk up the oscillations and dust the ceiling....I believe the higher resistance 4 ohm full range speakers have the potential to walk away from 8 ohm speakers....but it simply is going to need more headroom than 8 ohm speakers to gain authority....anyhow, I only have 3 amps I really want to use, and I just set up rears using the speakers I got from Bob over a year ago.... ...."Hold on, Hold on, This is Tick Tock McGloflin, LIVE, at Clocker's Corner",(tone)-(tone)-(tone)-(etc), haha....the thought just hit me about using the Mac 2200 on the temporary rears I've just set up that will end up being """MIDS"""....will wire them every way possible including coat hangers, haha....that was the first laugh "I" got to experience on this great board, the mention of using coat hangers for speaker wire, oh well....I will wire them every way possible to BOTH brand amps I have, to give the ears a chance to decide....Buck does that and I've come to see him as a insightful perseverer to cover all bases on a decision or statement....I watched Seabiscuit exclusively for a full month....gone.....

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
hmm... I just changed it like you said, left (+) and right (-) and it sounds exactly the same even on VERY high volume. something I did wrong? oh and another question, the bass sounds twice as heavy in the front seats as it does in the backseat. Should I arrange my subs in a certain way to get the same effect in the backseat? I drive an SUV theres no wall blocking the subs (aka trunk)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
RecLodossWar said:
hmm... I just changed it like you said, left (+) and right (-) and it sounds exactly the same even on VERY high volume. something I did wrong? oh and another question, the bass sounds twice as heavy in the front seats as it does in the backseat. Should I arrange my subs in a certain way to get the same effect in the backseat? I drive an SUV theres no wall blocking the subs (aka trunk)
Don't know if you did anything wrong? But, if you did it right, there is a difference. You should be able to tell, but if you can't, your sub can. Just double check with the diagram on the Rockford site.

Now, for your subs. Turn them bad-boys around. Pointing toward the rear window. This is gonna blow your mind. After you get through freaking out about how much bass you have, I want you to try something. Turn on your system with music. Get out. Go to the back of your suv. Open the back where you are looking at your subs. Listen to the bass. Now, close it up and get back in. Notice you now have 2-3 times as much.

You're welcome. :D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
"Now, for your subs. Turn them bad-boys around. Pointing toward the rear window. This is gonna blow your mind. After you get through freaking out about how much bass you have, I want you to try something. Turn on your system with music. Get out. Go to the back of your suv. Open the back where you are looking at your subs. Listen to the bass. Now, close it up and get back in. Notice you now have 2-3 times as much"

....tell it all, my Brother, tell it all, haha....been there 2.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis