Question about hooking a 2 subs to a box (Car Audio)

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
I have 2 10" infinity subs 1030watts each, 4 ohms each. plus a sub box. Its going to be hooked up to a 900-1000watt rockford amp (forgot the model). What way should I wire it? Parallel? Series? Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
See what the amp says.

If it says it can handle a two ohm load, then you should* be able to hook them in parallel.

If not, then hooking them in series will give you a generally safe 8 ohm load, albiet at a lower power figure but generally with less distortion.

*Hopefullly with no detrimental effects.

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
How do I know where it says that, does it say anywhere specifically on the amp itself?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Three options to that.

1) Read the owner's manual.

2) Ask someone who knows or sells car audio about that specific amp. Perhaps a site geared towards car audio might prove more fruitful.

3) Call Rockford directly. ...or ccheck their website. Sometimes these can be helpful, sometimes not.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt it can handle a 2-ohm load.

So, if it can't, you need to run in stereo. One sub on the left + & -, and the other on the right + & -.

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
First off, thanks for helping me. I checked and its a rockford punch 120a2 and I'm checking google right now and can't find enough info to see if its 2ohm stable or not.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Are your subs single voice coil, or dual?

I found them, they are single. :(

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
That amp is 30w x 2 @ 4ohm. Not gonna drive subs. Might be a good amp for some tweets. You need to study BEFORE you purchase. :(

Sorry about your luck. :(

specs

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....going out the door....Mark, I agree wholeheartedly if the amp will not accept a 2 ohm load without it smoking soon....but even then, it's all a matter of the amp heating up....your amp won't explode when you turn it on with multiple speakers wired to it even if it was 500 speakers paralleled....but for how long the amp would produce sound through 500 parallels before a space heater being established in your theater, you don't know....I would try regular wiring to the first speaker....so at the terminals of the first speaker, a 4 ohm load is ready to be joined up with a second speaker....now if the second speaker is 4 ohms, and you parallel on from the first, the ohm load to be presented to the amp section will be a 2 ohm load of resistance and hello bass, haha....yeah, that amp section has to get out of the hammock and earn it's keep....if the amp does not advise a 2 ohm load to the amp section, and you'd be surprised what you can get away with, go from the terminals of the first speaker to opposite terminals of the second speaker....then, your overall average of ohm load being presented to the amp section would be 6....4 plus 8 divided by two speakers....which beats 8 for bass....someone who prefers stereo or 7 channel stereo, parallel your rears off your mids and see if more bass comes through....don't worry, you ain't gonna' ruin anything....come up slow and feel your receiver all along for excess heat.....you notice on the specs for the 7 channel receivers it doesn't say RMS at what load for the 7 times 100....or yours may say 200 or 300, I don't know....I believe your mids and rears are wired for a 16 ohm load....more on the RMS thing concerning the 7 times 100 later....gotta' bolt....for real this time....whew....don't like to be rushed.....ain't got time to proofread....Rec, you may have to contact the manufacturer of your amp to ask if it is rated for 2 ohm acceptance.....

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I have an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" that I power with a Kicker 600.1 in my truck, to give you an idea.

You need more juice to run that Infinity.

-Chad

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
ok im still searching to see if it can handle 2 ohm load. in the mean time, do you mean I should try paralelling the 2 subs first and if the amp starts to heat, change it to series?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Specs

That amp can't drive those subs!

You can run one bridged. That will be 120w @ 2ohm.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If you bridge two 4ohm subs, the amp will see a 1ohm load. This is why you buy 8ohm subs when you plan to run two.

R

RecLodossWar

Audioholic Intern
what if i run both of them at 4 ohms load would that work or do I have to series it at 8ohms load?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
That will only give you 30watts.

That amp can only drive one of those subs, and it won't do a good job of that.

I can't even find an amp that is stable bridged@1ohm. All I can find is amps that are 2ohm stable bridged, and that puppy will cost you. Here

Last edited:
C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Here are the real specs on that subwoofer.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF1030W

It's a 4ohm 250watt RMS subwoofer. I'd buy a 600watt a 4ohm (so, probably labelled a 1200.1 on the model name/number) mono amp and run them in parallel. It's a bit over, but that headroom makes a huge difference. Get a 1000.1 (500watts @ 4ohm) at the minimum.

That amp you got will last a day. ;)

-Chad

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis