Q Acoustics 3020 speakers -- My Insight

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Right now my budget friendly retail preference is the QA 3020 -- I am just trying to maybe throw something against them for around $300, which also includes mark-downs and close-out prices -- for now I marked the Emotiva B1 off the list, because I do not want to pay around $30 Tennessee tax.

Ziegl, I think that these would be a good option to try out:

http://www.fluance.com/signature-series-hifi-two-way-bookshelf-surround-sound-speakers

With free shipping BOTH ways, you have nothing to lose but your time. I, as well as, many others would be more than happy to see just how well the Sig bookshelfs do. Especially, when directly compared to the 3020's. Of course, this is just a suggestion. So, what do you say Ziegl? :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ziegl, I think that these would be a good option to try out:

http://www.fluance.com/signature-series-hifi-two-way-bookshelf-surround-sound-speakers

With free shipping BOTH ways, you have nothing to lose but your time. I, as well as, many others would be more than happy to see just how well the Sig bookshelfs do. Especially, when directly compared to the 3020's. Of course, this is just a suggestion. So, what do you say Ziegl? :):):)
I am thinking about it -- however, I will be tough on them

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am thinking about it -- however, I will be tough on them
Sounds like a plan....LOL!! No really, I hope that you do. There is another good candidate, but it is a bit more than the $300 you specified. Unfortunately, there is no free return shipping either. Here is a link if you are interested:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/a-series-speakers/A1.4

Jon, may have a B-stock that would work just fine for your review. He may be willing to let you keep them a bit longer if need be as well. Never hurts to ask him. I could perhaps assist you in that department if you want me to.

Moreover, I also think that QA may be willing to send you a set of the Concept 20's for you to review. If you are interested and need my help, then let me know via PM. Just wished Steve Reichert was still with QA. It would make things a bit easier in getting that done. Let me know.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like a plan....LOL!! No really, I hope that you do. There is another good candidate, but it is a bit more than the $300 you specified. Unfortunately, there is no free return shipping either. Here is a link if you are interested:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/a-series-speakers/A1.4
I will wait on Chane for now

It is interesting that Fluance charges tax -- also KEW checked them out in January and they had phase issues. However maybe they are doing better now. I am still thinking about it

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

It is interesting that Fluance charges tax -- also KEW checked them out in January and they had phase issues. However maybe they are doing better now. I am still thinking about it
Yeah, I remember Kurt mentioning that. But, perhaps that set was defective, no? Never hurts to give them a shot. Would also love to see if the Concept 20's are any better than the 3020's. There are also Dennis's AA monitors to consider as well. Have a good feeling that they would do very well.

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I'm curious too Zieg. I recently recommended Fluance as being a good budget friendly option and it was pointed out to me the graphs on their measurements were a little deceptive due to the scaling. Fluance appears to be trying to make things right after some sort of debacle with qc. I'd like to see how they measure up. Free ship, both ways... :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm curious too Zieg. I recently recommended Fluance as being a good budget friendly option and it was pointed out to me the graphs on their measurements were a little deceptive due to the scaling. Fluance appears to be trying to make things right after some sort of debacle with qc. I'd like to see how they measure up. Free ship, both ways... :D
Order is placed

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Order is placed
Should not take too long Ziegl. When I ordered the Bi-Poles seems like I got them in 2-days. However, sending them back took a bit longer for some reason. Looking forward to your impressions! Others are as well.

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Should not take too long Ziegl. When I ordered the Bi-Poles seems like I got them in 2-days. However, sending them back took a bit longer for some reason. Looking forward to your impressions! Others are as well.
They are shipping today -- should have them Fri or Mon -- with Amazon it would be Fri, however $10 more, and return shipping fee -- With Fluance, I also got $10 off for first time buyer.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They are shipping today -- should have them Fri or Mon -- with Amazon it would be Fri, however $10 more, and return shipping fee -- With Fluance, I also got $10 off for first time buyer.
I hope they got these sorted out from their earlier runs!
Murphy was toying with using these for the next A. Jones Pioneer to modify. He got an interested buyer to send a pair to him and he redid the crossovers. As I recall (which is a dicey proposition), he thought the drivers were decent until he installed the crossover for the second speaker and measured the result. He ended up having to design a different crossover for the Left speaker vs the Right because the tweeters were so inconsistent! Clearly, at that point in time, QC was not a priority!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Murphy was toying with using these for the next A. Jones Pioneer to modify. He got an interested buyer to send a pair to him and he redid the crossovers. As I recall (which is a dicey proposition), he thought the drivers were decent until he installed the crossover for the second speaker and measured the result. He ended up having to design a different crossover for the Left speaker vs the Right because the tweeters were so inconsistent! Clearly, at that point in time, QC was not a priority!
True, but wasn't that the Sig towers and not the Sig bookshelfs? I do remember Dennis saying he had to construct (2) different X-overs due to the inconsistency in the drivers. Of course, that is never a good sign. But, we shall see if things have improved. I was impressed with them in my dealing with the Bi-Poles. Too bad, I never even hooked them up though.........LOL!!!!! Just sold them off.:):):)

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
True, but wasn't that the Sig towers and not the Sig bookshelfs? I do remember Dennis saying he had to construct (2) different X-overs due to the inconsistency in the drivers. Of course, that is never a good sign. But, we shall see if things have improved. I was impressed with them in my dealing with the Bi-Poles. Too bad, I never even hooked them up though.........LOL!!!!! Just sold them off.:):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Pretty sure they use the same tweeters (but check me on that), so inconsistencies would not be limited to towers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty sure they use the same tweeters (but check me on that), so inconsistencies would not be limited to towers.
Yes, they both use the same tweeter per se. But, the specific example you were referring to earlier was with the Sig towers from what I remember. I also recall you telling me that you were not too impressed with the Sig bookshelfs.

Sadly, Dennis had to deign (2) different X-overs for those Sig towers b/c of the drivers inconsistency. Not a good sign for sure. Just hoping that Fluance has addressed those issues. Very curious to see what Ziegl finds. Also hope that you check out the JBL 580's. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I read that -- I still expect the Fluance Signature to be lightweight, compared to the middleweight Q Acoustics -- we will see if the Fluance can last 12 rounds.:)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Yes, they both use the same tweeter per se. But, the specific example you were referring to earlier was with the Sig towers from what I remember. I also recall you telling me that you were not too impressed with the Sig bookshelfs.

Sadly, Dennis had to deign (2) different X-overs for those Sig towers b/c of the drivers inconsistency. Not a good sign for sure. Just hoping that Fluance has addressed those issues. Very curious to see what Ziegl finds. Also hope that you check out the JBL 580's. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Right. I worked with the towers. The tweeter is the same, and I believe the midrange unit on the towers is used as the woofer on the surrounds.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Right. I worked with the towers. The tweeter is the same, and I believe the midrange unit on the towers is used as the woofer on the surrounds.
Thanks Dennis. I was thinking about seeing if you would be willing to do the same w/a set of the Sig bookshelfs? They offer free shipping w/purchase so buy them and ship directly to you. Then, when you have the time redo the X-overs and thus ship to me.

Think I may have mentioned this to you before a good while back. But, I may be interested in doing this if you are. The good thing is, I would be in no hurry to get them modded. Just when you get around to it. Might even consider using some Soni-Caps if you think it would be worthwhile? Going to wait and see what Ziegl's findings are first. May be in touch Dennis via a PM very soon. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thanks Dennis. I was thinking about seeing if you would be willing to do the same w/a set of the Sig bookshelfs? They offer free shipping w/purchase so buy them and ship directly to you. Then, when you have the time redo the X-overs and thus ship to me.

Think I may have mentioned this to you before a good while back. But, I may be interested in doing this if you are. The good thing is, I would be in no hurry to get them modded. Just when you get around to it. Might even consider using some Soni-Caps if you think it would be worthwhile? Going to wait and see what Ziegl's findings are first. May be in touch Dennis via a PM very soon. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
I can certainly do that, but these puppies will always be bass-shy, and I couldn't guarantee that they would end up sounding better the Sony Core.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Going to wait and see what Ziegl's findings are first. May be in touch Dennis via a PM very soon. Thanks!
Well, they are going to have to pass the Dr. Chesky's right channel and left channel test.:)

And how did I end up checking the Fluance to begin with.:D It will not take long to know if they have a Sony potential -- I will be curious about the Fluance bookshelf crossover. I did not get a real good look at the Sony Crossover, however from what I could see it looked decent with some above average parts.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I can certainly do that, but these puppies will always be bass-shy, and I couldn't guarantee that they would end up sounding better the Sony Core.
I see. Really don't have any plans to use a powered sub. Will wait and see what Ziegl has to say about them. Will also get back with you on that Dennis. Sounds like your AA monitors would be much better anyways. Especially, the low end capabilities albeit running full-range as in 2.0. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis