Q Acoustics 3020 speakers -- My Insight

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I bought a pair of Canton Chrono 502.2 speakers.
There is a big gap in my stable of speakers between the Philharmonic AAs or the energy RC10s being in the $200 price range (although the RC10s are no longer available) and the RBH 61-lse or Paradigm Signature S-2 on the high side.
Right now I have lost Internet service from hurricane Irma so cannot post any photos, but I did take them apart and take pics.
The thicknesses I got for the cabinet must be metric, because they did not fit "normal" dimensions. The front baffle measured very close to 7/8 of an inch and the top and bottom panels and side panels measured very close to 5/8 of an inch.
The interior stuffing looks to be about the same as for the GLS2.
Interestingly, the cabinets for the Chrono do not have metal inserts in them!
The panel thicknesses leaves us in a bit of a quandary for the extra weight comes from!
Aside from the decorative trim plates on both of the drivers, the most apparent difference is the crossover. It is definitely a different crossover and I look forward to hearing comments when I post the photos!
Different size cabinet, different driver mount (full rounded mount frame), and cost a little more -- they probably tweaked the crossover some. Yes, they like that white imitation snow batten.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Mounted on bottom.
More resisters for sure -- I keep thinking about the Chrono, however I do expect any differences to be minor -- however, I wished I had bought them first

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
More resisters for sure -- I keep thinking about the Chrono, however I do expect any differences to be minor -- however, I wished I had bought them first
The thing that caught my attention was how tall the induction coil(?) is!
When I ordered these, you were talking about mods for the cabinet and I knew I was better off paying the extra $60 because I wouldn't get around to the mods anytime soon, although it looks like I didn't gain anything on the cabinet. Of course, curiosity also biased me towards the Chrono since you've provided something to compare it to!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The aluminum trim rings/wave guide are just a touch thicker than the lid of a tin can. Both have concentric circles cut into them that is pretty "grabby" on the fingerprint ridges (best seen in the crossover pic above). I don't know if this is for acoustics or not, but you are not going to get laminar flow along this surface.
IMG_0001 (768x1024).jpg

Mid-woofer (leads are soldiered directly to terminals):
IMG_0006 (1024x1024).jpg

Nice looking tweeter magnet:
IMG_0013 (768x1024).jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Mid-woofer with trim ring. Note CANTON logo at top of plastic mounting ring - this was designed not to need the trim ring:
IMG_0009 (1024x1024).jpg

Tweeter trim ring/wave guide on top and driver resting in cabinet:
IMG_0010 (768x1024).jpg

Port is pretty much in-line with tweeter. Tweeter hole had to be cut oblong to allow clearance for tweeter terminals/leads to fit due to magnet size:
IMG_0011 (768x1024).jpg

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The thing that caught my attention was how tall the induction coil(?) is!
When I ordered these, you were talking about mods for the cabinet and I knew I was better off paying the extra $60 because I wouldn't get around to the mods anytime soon, although it looks like I didn't gain anything on the cabinet. Of course, curiosity also biased me towards the Chrono since you've provided something to compare it to!
You gained a little, that is a little more thickness, and 1.4 inches more of depth.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Mid-woofer with trim ring. Note CANTON logo at top of plastic mounting ring - this was designed not to need the trim ring:
Tweeter trim ring/wave guide on top and driver resting in cabinet:

Port is pretty much in-line with tweeter. Had to be cut oblong to allow clearance for tweeter terminals/leads to fit due to magnet size:
It seems the aluminum rings are made to draw attraction to the eye.

That piece which looks like an eye pupil on the tweeter, is what they call a wave-guide for them

That poly-batten looks thicker than 1 inch -- and looks like it is only lined on the side walls

These people seem to know what they are doing -- they pretty much design and build everything. I will not pay list price, however I really like what I got for the price.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
One thing for sure, it is not all about the box build -- the JBL LX300 speakers are performing back-up duties, while the Canton GLS is on a working vacation. The LX300 were drafted off Craiglist.

The LX300 are from around 1993 and listed for $395 a pair, they have a 6 inch cast frame woofer and a 1 inch pure Titanium tweeter. They are 16" h x 9" w x 9" d and the front baffle is 7/8" with the rest of the cabinet 3/4" and they weigh 18 lbs each. They have a second order crossover and even a poly cap. Now for a cabinet like this, JBL still used spring clip connectors.:(

The JBL LX300 are over built for the sound quality that you get. And compared to the Canton, they lack in overall resolution. The JBL has detail, but is lacking in definition and depth. They are bright compared to the Canton, and the Canton even has more bass. The Canton 6 in driver diameter is smaller than the JBL. The JBL is limited in off-axis response, where the Canton is much better. JBL seems to have concentrated more on central imaging. The Canton tweeter is more smooth and refined compared to the JBL titanium tweeter.

They Canton may look and feel light-weight, but their sound is heavy-weight compared to the LX300 -- JBL LX300 sounds like a speaker with potential, but seems like they were rushed to the market. When the Canton comes back, the JBL will be put on waivers.

H

HPY

Audiophyte
That would be Japan.:)

My 530's also went to a good beneficial place -- I would like a pair again sometime -- however, they are still under the Snell K7 which use to list for around $1350

Right now my budget friendly retail preference is the QA 3020 -- I am just trying to maybe throw something against them for around $300, which also includes mark-downs and close-out prices -- for now I marked the Emotiva B1 off the list, because I do not want to pay around $30 Tennessee tax.
The KEF Q100 is 299.99 now--via Amazon.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Mid-woofer with trim ring. Note CANTON logo at top of plastic mounting ring - this was designed not to need the trim ring
Could it not be reassurance, like all part made by Canton. When I was a kid and opened the hood of mom's Opel for the first time, I kept asking what is this GM sign all around. I was surprised when my father said General Motors.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Could it not be reassurance, like all part made by Canton. When I was a kid and opened the hood of mom's Opel for the first time, I kept asking what is this GM sign all around. I was surprised when my Father said General Motors.
Yes, but I was looking at it as confirmation of the same drivers as used in GLS2 (without trim rings).
However, not too many customers would remove the trim ring.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am starting to like the Canton GLS more and more
Well it happened, the Canton GLS 2 got beat by a $25 set of speakers -- I found the former Energy Connoisseur C-2 speakers on Craiglist. These things have surprised me, and they are from the API days -- and Stereophile really liked them and they measured overall nice. And these things have some really nice bass, tweeter and mids have good detail and definition -- the tweeter has good air. Also included in the sale was a Harman Kardon AVR20.

Picture slideshow
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=26308;start=177737

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well it happened, the Canton GLS 2 got beat by a $25 set of speakers -- I found the former Energy Connoisseur C-2 speakers on Craiglist. These things have surprised me, and they are from the API days -- and Stereophile really liked them and they measured overall nice. And these things have some really nice bass, tweeter and mids have good detail and definition -- the tweeter has good air. Also included in the sale was a Harman Kardon AVR20.

Picture slideshow
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=26308;start=177737
Sweet deal!
6" woofer and 1" tweeter?
Did you get the speakers and AVR for $25 (that is insane)?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sweet deal!
6" woofer and 1" tweeter?
Did you get the speakers and AVR for $25 (that is insane)?
Yes for $25 -- I am blessed.

While the tweeter is said to be 1 inch -- it looks closer to 3/4 inch to me

However, I just measured and the tweeter is 1 inch

Last edited:
N

NYSoundGuy

Enthusiast
Yes for $25 -- I am blessed.

While the tweeter is said to be 1 inch -- it looks closer to 3/4 inch to me

However, I just measured and the tweeter is 1 inch

Yeah that's a serious score! Where I live in NY it's deals don't pop up too often on CL - everyone here overprices things :(

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Thanks for this comparison.

And if you can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi, there is something wrong with your taste sense.

Same goes for RC, and all the rest. Make mine Pepsi.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Picture slideshow
Hey, I gotta ask!
The Energy C-2's bested the Canton GLS-2; however, I see you still have the GLS-2 in your signature!
What gives?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
This is a fun price range. I have the q3020 in my bedroom system with a Rythmik L12 sealed sub. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis