PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 = Bad News

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I have done the update it removed all traces of the Other OS, I have read that some experienced long downloading times for me it was pretty quick it took fifteen minutes from start to finish. I have looked through everything and I can't see any add features so will have to wait and see the official list Sony puts out to see what else this update contained.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it is mandatory if you want to log into PSN just like the bulk of updates.

I installed it and didn't notice anything significant on my system. Took about 15 min. I am using the Slim currently so I didn't even have the option for other OS on this one :)

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
This is all that I can find on what the update contains

The PlayStation®3 system software version 3.21 update includes the following:
Settings

* The [Install Other OS] and [Default System] features have been deleted. > See Details

Other

* The playback quality of some PlayStation® format software that is downloaded (as a purchase or for free) from PlayStation®Store has been improved.
* A security patch was added to address security vulnerabilities that may occur when playing MP4 format video files.

also it says: This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions?, this was towards the beginning.

Source: PlayStation.com

N

Nugu

Audioholic
If you want to get around the update and still use PSN google "ps3 proxy server". It'll work for awhile so I'm holding off on updating.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
If you want to get around the update and still use PSN google "ps3 proxy server". It'll work for awhile so I'm holding off on updating.
I know alot of my gaming buddies are using that method and are waiting for George Hotz's custom firmware for the work around. Personally I stopped using the OS feature ever since I bought a laptop last year.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Somebody will hack it to run Linux again pretty soon. Government/Universities can always choose not to install.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
They basically did this because this is what they wanted all along. Put in features to attract people, like backwards compatibility and Other OS, then strip out those features going forward once enough people bit the bait. Looks like it worked pretty well.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Well it looks like two guys have dumped PS3 Hypervisor LV2 (GameOS) here is the a link to the story.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
People complaining about this George Holtz guy have it all wrong. The OtherOS feature was put there to ENABLE homebrew content. It was billed as such! Now they're basically backpeddling because it is allowing people to do things that THEY don't want. Well, that's what homebrew is!!! They sold a feature they had no intention of supporting, but it was a good way to nab the tech-centric users like many I know.

FYI, Folding runs through OtherOS.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
People complaining about this George Holtz guy have it all wrong. The OtherOS feature was put there to ENABLE homebrew content. It was billed as such! Now they're basically backpeddling because it is allowing people to do things that THEY don't want. Well, that's what homebrew is!!! They sold a feature they had no intention of supporting, but it was a good way to nab the tech-centric users like many I know.

FYI, Folding runs through OtherOS.
I believe Sony may have not thought it through when they decided to add the OS feature but I'm pretty sure we won't see a feature like this again on any console in the future.JMO

Folding does use the Other OS but Stanford does not need to update the firmware,unless the Profs and students are going to do gaming or watching movies, but since they don't the update is unnecessary for them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis