Pretty Sure I Just Broke My Arm

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good news! It's a hairline fracture across the neck and nothing is separated! They cut my splint off and said there's no need for a cast. In fact he said this is one of those types of breaks that they want me to be able to keep moving it. He gave me some physical therapy exercises to do and said once it calms down I might go to an actual physical therapist to make sure I don't lose any movement I guess.

It's not really bruised or swollen where it's broken but my hand and fingers are all puffy. My whole hand is quite swollen actually. It's super noticeable when I hold my hands side by side. Typing is way easier now without the splint tho, and I can use both hands now! It hurts, but they want me to keep moving it so I'll consider typing part of my rehab! :p I managed to finagle a few pain pills out of him too. Just a half dozen. I'm gonna save 'em for later, like an hour or so before bed the next couple of nights so I can hopefully sleep uninterrupted. Pain has been keeping me up the last 2 nights now and I just want a good night's sleep.

So yeah. No cast! Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, thanks for all the love everyone! You guys helped me get through 3 1/2 hours of waiting the other night and it really did help pass the time. I really hate going to those clinics (this one was "Nextcare", not "Urgent Care"), but at least I had someone to chat with. Aside from the wait they really weren't bad and at least treated me like a human. They were very nice to me.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Good news! It's a hairline fracture across the neck and nothing is separated! They cut my splint off and said there's no need for a cast. In fact he said this is one of those types of breaks that they want me to be able to keep moving it. He gave me some physical therapy exercises to do and said once it calms down I might go to an actual physical therapist to make sure I don't lose any movement I guess.

It's not really bruised or swollen where it's broken but my hand and fingers are all puffy. My whole hand is quite swollen actually. It's super noticeable when I hold my hands side by side. Typing is way easier now without the splint tho, and I can use both hands now! It hurts, but they want me to keep moving it so I'll consider typing part of my rehab! :p I managed to finagle a few pain pills out of him too. Just a half dozen. I'm gonna save 'em for later, like an hour or so before bed the next couple of nights so I can hopefully sleep uninterrupted. Pain has been keeping me up the last 2 nights now and I just want a good night's sleep.

So yeah. No cast! Woo hoo!
Oh well, thanks for the heads up. Just cancelled the U-Haul I was gonna use to come and pick up your gear after they put you down.

:oops:

Er...
I mean, uhhhhh....

:) Wow Dude, that's flippin excellent news! Woohoo! *high-five :)

:cool:

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
It is indeed a slightly displaced radial neck fracture. If you look just above the circle drawn on the film image, you can see a darker area in front of the humerus. It is the "sail sign" that I referenced. It indicates fluid in the joint (likely blood) that is displacing a small pad of fat that normally is not visible. The fat attenuates the x-ray radiation less that the other surrounding tissue, so that area appears darker on the film.
Although not of much importance in this case since the fracture is clearly visible, sometimes the only evidence of an intraarticular injury to the elbow is the presence of the fat pad. It can be result of torn ligaments in the joint, but usually is diagnosed as an "occult" fracture of the radial head, because it is the most likely reason for the fluid in the joint.
Glad that you are doing well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is indeed a slightly displaced radial neck fracture. If you look just above the circle drawn on the film image, you can see a darker area in front of the humerus. It is the "sail sign" that I referenced. It indicates fluid in the joint (likely blood) that is displacing a small pad of fat that normally is not visible. The fat attenuates the x-ray radiation less that the other surrounding tissue, so that area appears darker on the film.
Although not of much importance in this case since the fracture is clearly visible, sometimes the only evidence of an intraarticular injury to the elbow is the presence of the fat pad. It can be result of torn ligaments in the joint, but usually is diagnosed as an "occult" fracture of the radial head, because it is the most likely reason for the fluid in the joint.
Glad that you are doing well.
The ortho took their own set of exposures and they were much better resolution.

It amazes me that you're able to interpret all of that from that fuzzy image. I was taking a shot in the dark based on how it feels and the dark spot I circled. I am most definitely not qualified to read an x ray, lol. As a former butcher I do know exactly what a healthy bone looks like tho and am a teensy bit familiar with anatomy.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Good news! It's a hairline fracture ...

It's not really bruised or swollen where it's broken ...
So, which is it, broken or just hairline fracture? ;) :D

Just be careful not to aggravate it.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Fracture = broken they are same
It is a very common fracture. Looked at these for 33 years before retired 3 months ago.
Fortunately, it rarely requires treatment unless badly displaced. I am not an orthopedist, but I think that they just remove the radial head in cases where it is really bad...but again I'm no expert on the management, just refer to ortho.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Pogre, just saw this thread, oh my......... hope our doing better when you read this !!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
"Radial kneck fracture with slight displacement".

I dunno... you tell me! :p
Here's something to cheer you up
20210402_194022.jpg20210402_204230.jpg20210402_204221.jpg20210402_204213.jpg20210402_204202.jpg
The stands should be here tommorow I'll start a thread in the speaker section once I set them up

Really curious to see what these are like after enjoying my 590's for so long

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
i can’t wait to here the differences vs 590 . What stands did you buy?
Some wood blocks that match the decor of the room actual speaker stands would have been really hard to find. Those beasts weigh 93lbs each I think whatever the weigh they were a sob getting up the stairs

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm getting much, much better so I'm guessing not Covid. Maybe just a 24 hour thing. Trying to get vaccinated is like pulling teeth. That's the other issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it’s not COVID

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it’s not COVID
Oh sorry, no update yesterday. Covid negative and after yesterday trying like hell to get vaccination appointments I finally got through this morning. April 6 and May 6.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Problem with narcotics is that there is great deal of pressure on physicians to NOT prescribe them. In the case of fractures, the local orthopedists have requested ED physicians to prescribe only a few Percocet or Vicodin (around 12 total) along with instructions to take ibuprofen and tylenol unless absolutely cannot take the pain without the narcotic. In my state, the state pharmacy board sends out a report every other month or so that shows how many narcotic Rx you have written and then compares it with how many have been written by colleagues in similar practices. It always seems to deflate the alleged numbers prescribed by the others by a ridiculous amount. So in this case it is not uncaring physicians, but rather the pressure is to get rid of narcotic prescriptions since there is such a huge problem with narcotic addiction and OD. As usual, there are so many that abuse a privilege (or drug in this case) that those who truly need them suffer.
I agree. It seems to me that the oversight with regards to prescriptions has gone too far. There’s no doubt there were a few doctors that prescribed way too many opioids, but the level of pressure now in place interferes with medical decisions

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis