D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Nope, tried the same idea with the other 2 humps and didn’t work. Aw well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
WARNING: about to talk out my but here. super don't know what im talking about...
something curious… I looked up 30hz wave length. and its about 1/4 wave is about 9.5ft. which is the height of my ceiling. I thught I would try and elevate my subs, I don't have anthing to put them on. Iv seen where people stack them. now the 30 hz is gone. I just have two more. is that what is happening or did i get lucky.
the orange is the new readings.
Are you saying stacking your subs got rid of that null? The orange trace does look better.

You're definitely onto something with your line of thinking. Wavelengths and room dimensions do correlate like that. I don't know enough of the science behind it to troubleshoot. I don't know if raising your sub did it so much as just having them close together so they're not cancelling now (just a guess). Either way, I'd take it tho! Better is better.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
oh no. they are not independent. that just on really expensive AVR mostly?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
oh no. they are not independent. that just on really expensive AVR mostly?
Audyssey XT32 equipped avrs have the dual sub capability (for setting level/delay) except as noted some old Onkyos (and Onkyo will soon be moving to Dirac enabled avrs, don't know about number of subs they're going to be able to manage). Audyssey actually can handle 4 subs independently but no avr manufacturer incorporated that ability. Some of the very expensive pre-pros have more extensive management for multiple subs but with an avr two is generally it, so supplementing it with a minidsp can be a good option for flexibility.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So your ears/experience is lining up with latest results? Give it some time, too and with a wide variety of material at various levels before/if you do another round of adjustments....
Yes, give it some time to sink in. I mentioned that yesterday too. Sometimes your perception is a little skewed after fighting with it for hours and listening to test sweeps all afternoon. Sometimes nothing sounds good to me when I'm tired and cranky.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, give it some time to sink in. I mentioned that yesterday too. Sometimes your perception is a little skewed after fighting with it for hours and listening to test sweeps all afternoon. Sometimes nothing sounds good to me when I'm tired and cranky.
Yes when it's looking as nice as it has been, give that a shot for a while and get accustomed to it (you need to break in, not the settings :) ). Play with it, test it.....and then maybe decide on a long term house curve after that.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Hmmm. This is interesting. I have the Monitor Audio Silver 300 and the Svs Ultra towers.
Iv been working with the MAs, but today I decided to good the SVS up again... I like the MAs best but I could never quite get that power feeling I wanted, not even sure what was missing. Anyways, I figured I’d just hook up the SVS as a 4.1 surround speakers. After some playing with what music would sound like with both I noticed something in the sound I was missing in the MAs. There is almost no “gravely sounds”. So clean instruments and female vocals were sounding great, but Rock guitars and gravely male voiced dont have the right effect. I laid my head on top of each speaker during a rock song, the MAs made a smooth humming music and the SVS had a bit of “growl” it.
music sound pretty good with both running. (I would rather not) I’d rather just one good set of speaker. But I guess I didn’t get the right one yet.
even tho the sweeps looked identical, the MA can’t get that Distorted guitar sound in its voice fully. With the subs filling out the lows, and the SVS adding the mid distortions, I hear things I was missing from MAs and subs. Also the subs with MAs alone, no matter the crossover just wouldn’t make that distinct crunchy rock sound either.
Also I went with the AVR suggested 40 crossover. The sweeps very smooth and the sounds is pretty great.
i feel like it’s too much equipment making all that happen. I don’t thing stereo is usually 4 speakers. But I’m gonna look for speakers again when I get the opportunity.
I was looking for an amp because I was missing a certain “powerful” sounds that I couldn’t put my finger on. I’m pretty sure now that the missing sound of “power” I was looking for was that missing Distortions effect that is in music( not to be confused with, bad distortion. I mean like a distortion used on guitars for rock)

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
but wow did I fix a lot of room problems trying to figure it out. If I had not had this issue I probably never would have worked to hard on the room and found the other issues in speaker placement, levels, setup, and EQ.
so not a total loss.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm. This is interesting. I have the Monitor Audio Silver 300 and the Svs Ultra towers.
Iv been working with the MAs, but today I decided to good the SVS up again... I like the MAs best but I could never quite get that power feeling I wanted, not even sure what was missing. Anyways, I figured I’d just hook up the SVS as a 4.1 surround speakers. After some playing with what music would sound like with both I noticed something in the sound I was missing in the MAs. There is almost no “gravely sounds”. So clean instruments and female vocals were sounding great, but Rock guitars and gravely male voiced dont have the right effect. I laid my head on top of each speaker during a rock song, the MAs made a smooth humming music and the SVS had a bit of “growl” it.
music sound pretty good with both running. (I would rather not) I’d rather just one good set of speaker. But I guess I didn’t get the right one yet.
even tho the sweeps looked identical, the MA can’t get that Distorted guitar sound in its voice fully. With the subs filling out the lows, and the SVS adding the mid distortions, I hear things I was missing from MAs and subs. Also the subs with MAs alone, no matter the crossover just wouldn’t make that distinct crunchy rock sound either.
Also I went with the AVR suggested 40 crossover. The sweeps very smooth and the sounds is pretty great.
i feel like it’s too much equipment making all that happen. I don’t thing stereo is usually 4 speakers. But I’m gonna look for speakers again when I get the opportunity.
I was looking for an amp because I was missing a certain “powerful” sounds that I couldn’t put my finger on. I’m pretty sure now that the missing sound of “power” I was looking for was that missing Distortions effect that is in music( not to be confused with, bad distortion. I mean like a distortion used on guitars for rock)
So what sound mode were you using? An actual surround mode or duplicated 2.0 stereo? All the avr is suggesting at 40 hz is that the f3 of your speakers is in that neighborhood....I'd almost always start at 80hz in any case and maybe move higher than lower.....

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I started at 80, I just couldn’t get it to blend well. Stereo All doesn’t sound good I had to use DTS nx or Dolby surround

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The main confusion about pre amps is the price. It seems like taking an AVR(that’s has re outs), removing From it (amps), and then doubling the price.
so an AVR can be used the same as the AV only, from the same company, at half the price? (If it has pre outs, many AVR don’t) with the same results as pre amp. Nothing is gained? Same pre outs, same software, same ARC Genisis Room correction?

PS, im not disregarding the Denon suggestion. I’m looking at that, might be a better deal. But Just to keep the question clear in my head, I’m still talking about the Anthem AV 3400$ vs the Anthem AVR 1700$.
Greed basically for rich who don’t care about prices , trinnov is for rich only also .
A junk product for the price you can get an avr with pre ours for cheaper ...
Spending more on speakers will give you better sound usually not amps

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis