D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Does it seem like most my issues may be sub 200hz problems. Might try moving the Mains again. They are already 4 feet into the room or more

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Ok. I have noticed the PEQ has no problem dropping levels. Doesn’t do much then I go positive. It only goes 3db up. Do I do both or just one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ll give them shout soon.
Also, Harmon did a lot of research into this, and in general you don't want a perfectly flat frequency response from top to bottom. They found that most people seem to prefer a downwad slant from low to high frequencies. AKA the "Harman target curve". Most of us just universally prefer a li'l extra bass or a room curve. Here's the measurement they found that most prefer in a typical room, if there is such a thing, lol.

23365b31_SynthesisEQCurve (1).jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Does it seem like most my issues may be sub 200hz problems. Might try moving the Mains again. They are already 4 feet into the room or more
Notice in the chart I just posted, there's almost a hump starting at 200 hz... could be your avr did that on purpose.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your room affects bass frequencies the most. From what frequency and down depends on your room volume. It's a researched thing as well, known as the "Schroeder frequency". Different for every room but in general around 200 hz and down. That's where room modes start becoming problematic. That's why there's so much focus on bass. In general, once you get your bass dialed in below the Schroeder frequency the rest is usually not nearly as problematic.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok. I have noticed the PEQ has no problem dropping levels. Doesn’t do much then I go positive. It only goes 3db up. Do I do both or just one.
Generally just more effective with eq to reduce a peak than boost a null, if you can.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
The second Picture is
Brown and Green: PEQ on both subs at 30 and +3db. they are on top of each other.
Dark Green is "Direct Mode" : so no subs running at all.
Brown is also what Stereo mode looks like with subs. on the Subs "on" have the 30hz dip. subs off doesnt show it.
also did a right and left speakers only on the last pic. from the LP. just to see how the room is effecting them differently. But they seem pretty good as long as the subs are off.

Attachments

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
since I did the other shot right up on the speaker and the scale slanted but did not have an extreme bump like the listening position. I can probably rule out the AVR for that 200hz thing at least

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The second Picture is
Brown and Green: PEQ on both subs at 30 and +3db. they are on top of each other.
Dark Green is "Direct Mode" : so no subs running at all.
Brown is also what Stereo mode looks like with subs. on the Subs "on" have the 30hz dip. subs off doesnt show it.
also did a right and left speakers only on the last pic. from the LP. just to see how the room is effecting them differently. But they seem pretty good as long as the subs are off.
I thought you had only 1 subwoofer...

I'm confused with the 2nd image. PEQ on and off? Which is which here? We want both speakers and subs from your main seat for these sweeps.

subs PEQ on off and also Direct mode.jpg

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
they are hard to see because it didn’t change. There are 3 scans. The 2 on top of each other are 1 with Stereo (same mode Iv been using) with subs with pew off. Then another scan with peq 30hz +3 on.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
they are hard to see because it didn’t change. There are 3 scans. The 2 on top of each other are 1 with Stereo (same mode Iv been using) with subs with pew off. Then another scan with peq 30hz +3 on.
One of those traces doesn't show that dip at 30 hz. The 2 on top of each other do. What setting is the dark green trace?

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
No subs at all. Direct mode. I guess the subs are creating the null in a way.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Seems like PEQ is only slightly effective at what it does and only at dipping not gaining

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
never found a what to do that on this Onkyo. Is processor controlled LFE or nothing. So no process I guess means no LFE subs. Partly why I switched to High Level Input. I liked the way direct sounds but will not do subs. I need a new AVR.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Can Audessey let EQ with that new app, the way Mini DSP could ?

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
But also just remembered. I had these nulls when it was Speaker level connected. So even if I could run subs in direct. I suspect it wouldn’t fix this.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
never found a what to do that on this Onkyo. Is processor controlled LFE or nothing. So no process I guess means no LFE subs. Partly why I switched to High Level Input. I liked the way direct sounds but will not do subs. I need a new AVR.
Are you sure? Your subs don't play at all in direct mode? I've never owned an Onkyo before... I need to look at your manual. Denon/Marantz models still engages a crossover to the subs in direct mode. I have to change my speaker setting to full to bypass my subs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can Audessey let EQ with that new app, the way Mini DSP could ?
Yes, Audyssey's app editor is pretty frickin' effective. Especially with ratbuddyssey, a user generated program that allows for really tight adjustments.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis