D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Been looking again. Don’t think Onkyo in direct will do subs. Onkyo didn’t specifically same in the manual. Just that the 2 main speakers would play without processing in direct mode.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Can Audessey let EQ with that new app, the way Mini DSP could ?
Make sure you get a model with XT32 as that is much better at adjusting bass, and also sets independent distance and levels for two subwoofers if SubEQ HT is included with XT32. I think there is only one older Onkyo model with XT32 that does not have SubEQ HT included.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Well I was thinking Denon 3700 after some earlier discussion. But to be honest it’ll be a little while before I can get one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Been looking again. Don’t think Onkyo in direct will do subs. Onkyo didn’t specifically same in the manual. Just that the 2 main speakers would play without processing in direct mode.
Do me a favor and play something with lots of bass in direct mode, with your crossovers set at 80 hz still and lightly touch the edge of the surround on your sub driver and see if it's doing anything. I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it, but I'll betcha your subs are still playing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I was thinking Denon 3700 after some earlier discussion. But to be honest it’ll be a little while before I can get one.
That's the one to shoot for. If you stumble across a deal on a 3600 I wouldn't hesitate to get one of those either.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
It running in direct now. I cranked it. Also the LED diagram shows active speakers. In direct the sub emblem is off. In Stereo mode it’s on. But they are deal as a door nail

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It running in direct now. I cranked it. Also the LED diagram shows active speakers. In direct the sub emblem is off. In Stereo mode it’s on. But they are deal as a door nail
Did you confirm that the drivers on your subs are not moving at all in direct mode? Subs are completely inactive? Did you touch the drivers and feel for vibration?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
REW has a tone generator that should be useful here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Crap. I'm digging around a little and it looks like you're right. Damnit. Every time I think we have a breakthrough there's another curveball!

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I’m pretty sure it’s a mode thing or cancelation. I think the same signature would come back if direct did work

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I suppose I could do the. Mic close to the speaker thing on just 1 sub

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m pretty sure it’s a mode thing or cancelation. I think the same signature would come back if direct did work
I'm wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. My subs don't play in direct mode either, same as you. You were right all along. Direct bypasses all processing, including crossovers. My bad.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
audibly is sounding a lot better though. Way better than starting

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Well a thought. I’m very close to the subs. Low waves are long. Am I too close? No, because there are lower frequencies that are fine. The dips in the middle.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
audibly is sounding a lot better though. Way better than starting
That's great. I see the improvements in your sweeps too. It does look like you might have some cancellation issues going on with the subs. I'm getting to the end of advice I can offer. Audyssey XT32 could be pretty helpful here. It has 2 true sub outs and independent levels and delay. Plus I've found it does really well with my bass response. It's not perfect, but not bad.

I have a MiniDSP 2x4 HD for my subs to dial it in pretty tight, but if the app editor had been available back then I probably wouldn't have gotten the mini. The app works just about as well. Marantz's 6000 models and up also have XT32 and app editor capability too, if you see a deal on one of them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well a thought. I’m very close to the subs. Low waves are long. Am I too close? No, because there are lower frequencies that are fine. The dips in the middle.
Yeah, hard to say without a lot of experimentation. Could try co-locating your subs too. Might get a little tricky without independent preouts. I think your preouts are basically a single LFE channel with a y spiltter.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
WARNING: about to talk out my but here. super don't know what im talking about...
something curious… I looked up 30hz wave length. and its about 1/4 wave is about 9.5ft. which is the height of my ceiling. I thught I would try and elevate my subs, I don't have anthing to put them on. Iv seen where people stack them. now the 30 hz is gone. I just have two more. is that what is happening or did i get lucky.
the orange is the new readings.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis