Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Right on. Nothing except the front is attached. I could remove them and run REW... but I can’t say I’d be doing it right. My last scan looked like this.
I can't see your vertical scale in that image, it's pretty small. It does look like you have a pretty big bass boost and a null around 50-60 hz. I'll bet money that's why you have it boosted and what you're feeling is lacking.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just posted one a few posts ago. But I’ll make a new reading anyways. Things changed a little
Yeah, I just saw and commented. I think what you're lacking is because of that null around 60 hz. I know for sure I'd think the same as you are. Even more reason to try a higher crossover. When you have time, bust out the mic and experiment with your crossovers. I had one set of speakers that just would not play well with my room and had to use a 100 hz crossover to get a flat response. I got some smaller speakers now and am running 80 hz. Here's where I'm at right now, with zero room treatments.

04-09-21 final.jpg
04-09-21 Waterfall.jpg

I dial it in flat with a MiniDSP 2x4 HD with DEQ turned off and my subs set on deepest extension mode (EQ 1), then I let DEQ do my house curve. EQ 2 is my subs' "more headroom" mode. I switch to that and turn DEQ on, RLO 10.

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ1.jpg

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ2.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd argue your first chart looks more even. It looks like you're running your bass pretty hot too. I'd guess because of the uneven response so you're turning it up to compensate. I'd try a higher crossover, then turn your sub level trim down a couple dB and see what that does.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Orange all treatment removed
Those images are small and hard to see, and for some reason I can't enlarge them...

We're making a lot of posts fast in this thread so I'll reiterate. Try a higher crossover and turn your subs' trim down a little bit. You're fighting a room mode and those can really suck. Your best weapon for room modes are your subs because you generally have a little more flexibility in placement with them. You're crossed over so low right now that your subs aren't contributing much above 50 hz (your room mode is above 50 hz) so that's why I'm recommending a higher crossover. That might give you a flatter response, but since your subs are running hot it might also get a bit boomy or overpowering, like you described. Hence the reco to dial back trim levels.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
sub on Green 50, Blue 80 Cross. also reduce sub volume
Much better image!

And tbh it doesn't look a whole lot better at 80 hz. Have you done any eq'ing or experiment with sub placement? Have you heard of the sub crawl?

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I tried the crawl. I must have bad hearing. I couldn't find a good spot that way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried the crawl. I must have bad hearing. I couldn't find a good spot that way.
Sometimes there just isn't a perfect spot. I'd say you're definitely dealing with some room modes. You have a couple of peaks that could be tamed down and would give a much flatter response tho. Roughly 42 hz and about 62 hz. If you can get those tamed down then that null almost disappears.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
other parts of the spectrum move. that one Dip never seems to go away. this happened last time I didn't moving around the room too. tried to use the PEQ to dip it tho I don't really know how to use that. its off now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
only 1 sub. pulled into the room near my chair now. purple
That looks a little better! You seem pretty capable. You'll just have to keep experimenting. It takes time and effort when you wanna get really serious about it. I just think you needed a nudge in the right direction.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
other parts of the spectrum move. that one Dip never seems to go away. this happened last time I didn't moving around the room too. tried to use the PEQ to dip it tho I don't really know how to use that. its off now.
Yeah, it's a room mode. Instead of looking at it like a dip look at it like you have 2 peaks on either side of it. If you have any way to do some eq you could start with those.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis