Post Your Home Theater Here!

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I was thinking the same thing they are pretty far from the screen.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Haven't quite moved into the digital age for pics yet, but...

...here ya go. My 5.1 system

5 year old Proscan 32" CRT.
Denon 2802 receiver
Toshiba 2805 5 disc DVD changer
6 year old Philips VHS Hi-Fi (dunno model # off the top of my head)
The following Athena Audition speakers:
AS-F1 Mains
AS-C1 Center
AS-B2 Surrounds
Velodyne 1210 Subwoofer

All tied together with non-descript cables and interconnects.

hey, it floats my boat...

Now, in the man cave/'puter room/gym I cobbled together a two channel audio/visual system out of various odds and ends, both old and new.

$188 Toshiba 27" TV (27A34)
33 year old Marantz 2270 Receiver
$88 Toshiba DVD/VHS (SD-V392SUA)
25 year old Phillips 887 Turntable w/ Shure cartridge
Teac A-400X Cassette Deck
DCM CX-21 Speakers

...you would be very, very surprised at what this miscegination sounds like.

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Oops forgot to post my gear

Ive got:
65" Hitachi CRT Ultravision 65s500
Yammy 5750
Samsung 931 DVD Player with DVI and Upconversion
Athena As-f2 mains
Athena As-c1 center
Athena As-b1 surrounds
Athena As-r1 rear
Klipsch Ksw-12 two subs
Panasonic VHS Player
X-box
Monster component video and speaker wire (sorry guys)

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I changed the position of the front speakers as a result of getting the DTS disc "Bilocation 1" and following instructions at:

http://www.bilocation.co.uk/settingup.htm

for the setup. To listen to Bilocation 1, I did position a seat some 7 feet forward to make distance from seating position to speakers all equal. This was a requirement for that specific disc in order to get sound of different kinds moving over my head or to hear the horse under me, as if I was riding on it.

I then resumed my normal sitting position but kept the front speakers where they are now because playing DTS music discs or concert DVD's with DTS sounds, the placement enhances the listening experience. Suggest readers to try this with a good concert such as done in DTS for the Eagles.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Audiosouse said:
Hey Nomas, congrats on the reviewing gig. Nice to see that obsessive compulsiveness can actually get you a job!

Is that an APC UPS beside the equipment rack?

Even though you took Mr. Loft's advice and downsized your original Axiom purchase, that's still alot of speaker there! An Epic 80 set up would have been serious overkill!
Thank you.

Good eye, yes it is. Got it from my "real" job for $30.

I absolutely agree. That sub is so much overkill it's like hunting rabbits with a bazooka. I loooooooooooooooooooooooove it! :D

S

SteveS

Audiophyte
Denon DVD2900
Nakamichi dragon
Tascam DA-40II DAT
Sony D7 DAT Walkman
Rotel 1070 HDCD player
Rotel 991 200wattsx2 THX amp
Audio Alchemy Pro32 jitter-reducer/interpolator/rsolution enhancer
Audio Alchemy modified DDE 3.0 D/A HDCD
Audio Alchemy Power stantions 2, 3, 3 Ultra
Audio control DLC
M audio 2496 D/A
Lexicon DC-1 V4.0 DD ES/DTS ES/ THX digital pre/pro D/A
dbx 386 tube preamp/ 16,20,24-bit/44.1k,48,88.2, 96kHz A/D
Berhinger 31 band 24-bit digital EQ with AES/EBU upgrade
ADS L1290
ADS L710
B&W 602 S2
ADS CM5 center
Monster Prolink 1000 pro1000 balanced cable
MIT 330 series 2 interlink
MIT Mterminator4 speaker wire
MIT 330 Plus Interlink
Monster 1000i interlink
Mackie HR824 powered bi-amplified monitors 150watts/150watts

*still looking for that right video source!!!

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
His and Her Room!

Not quite finished but we are getting close. More pictures on the site below.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jbwestcott

I want to thank my wife for letting me use the living room as a HT, all of the forum members here that provided great advice and resources, and all of my close friends who sweated and worked along our sides.

Your comments and input are welcome!

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Very Nice!

One thing, it looks like no one lives there. :rolleyes:

Sheep

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
nice setup but you should consider the following:

moving the chairs that are blocking the front speakers.​
your side channels are in null of main listening position. I recommend moving them 2-3 feet behind the main listening position.​
you have very high ceilings, wood floors and very little absorption in the room other than the chairs. I recommend a throw rug, some room treatment on the walls (first, second reflection points, wall behind main speakers, and diffusion for the surrounds).​
your equipment is facing opposite of your seating orientation. how are you accessing it via remote and/or visual confirmation? or am I missing the room orientation?​

W

westcott

Audioholic General
gene said:
nice setup but you should consider the following:

moving the chairs that are blocking the front speakers.​
your side channels are in null of main listening position. I recommend moving them 2-3 feet behind the main listening position.​
you have very high ceilings, wood floors and very little absorption in the room other than the chairs. I recommend a throw rug, some room treatment on the walls (first, second reflection points, wall behind main speakers, and diffusion for the surrounds).​
your equipment is facing opposite of your seating orientation. how are you accessing it via remote and/or visual confirmation? or am I missing the room orientation?​
The couch, loveseat and chairs all have removable arms, backs and cushions.
This keep them from blocking the speakers when I am doing some serious listening and the chairs were placed there so they could be moved if necessary.

The speakers are placed where dipoles are supposed to be placed on a 5.1 system although a little high due to the window being in the way (for primary listening position), these are not direct radiating speakers and use Klipsch's Wide Dispersion Technology.

The room is not finished yet and I do have plans to work on the acoustics. The study doors on the right will be addressed first and an area rug is being made as we speak. Since this is not a dedicated home theater, some compromises will have to made when adding acoustical treatments. I am working on designs for some helmholtz radiators but it will take some time to design and built them for the 250 to 350 MHz range where my room has frequency overlaps. Remember this is a His and Her room and not a dedicated home theater. One can only get away with so much acoustical treatment before the WAF comes into play.

Wood floors are not as reflective as many people think and most recording studios demand wood floors. I floated\isolated the floor so it is far more acoustically beneficial than most any other floor. On the flip side, rugs are not as absorbative as people would like to believe either unless you have 4 inch shag!!!

The AV credenza is behind the couch so I use a Harmony 688 with a Next Generation Radio Frequency system (see signature). I can control the AV components, the lights, and the upper hurricane shutters from anywhere on the property with one push of the button!!!!!

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
denon avr-3803
denon dvd-1600
rotel rmb-1095
monster avs-2000
monster avs-3500mkii
rotel rp-2500 turntable
def tech bp7001sc fronts
def tech clr 3000 center
def tech bpvx surrounds
def tech studio monitor 450 rears
def tech supercube reference subs (2)
sunfire mkii sub
toshiba 57hx81 tv

to steal a line from steve earl

"I aint ever satisfied"

O

ogle1975

Audiophyte
my system

newb here. thought that i wold just jump right in. okay, so i hear a lot of big, high end names being thrown around. good to know that there are people out there who appreciate quality. like some of the others who've posted, my system seems to be stuck in a time warp. however, i as well have plans for the future.

as it stands right now (sorry, but no pics right now):
harman/kardon avr 20 - receiver (prologic anyone?)
h/k fl3800 - 5 disc changer
pioneer sq 50 - 10 band EQ
technics sl-dl5 - automatic turntable w/ grado green cartridge (vinyl rules!)
toshiba sd4800 - 1 disc dvd
samsung hifi VCR - don't know model #
b&w dm302 bookshelf - fronts
klh ? - center
sony ss-wgv8 - sub
toshiba 27" crt

okay, so it needs improvement. i know this. thinking the first thing to be changed is going to be the receiver. looking at a marantz sr5600. probably go for some new fronts after that. the dm302s sound great for bookshelf spks, but can't fill the room the way that i want/need them to. any suggestions?

W

W_Harding

Junior Audioholic
Just Big and Loud

Our modest set-up is about the best we can do in the limited space available. The JBL's produce a very natural sound for both music and movies The JVC amplifier has plenty of drive for these moderately efficient loudspeakers.

Equipment List:

GE 27GT613 – 27” Stereo Monitor
JVC HR-DD750U – Stereo/HI-FI VCR
Philips DVD751 - DVD-V player
Chase Technologies RLC-1 – Remote Line Controller
JVC A-X7 – Stereo Integrated Amplifier
JBL HLS615 - Loudspeakers

Attachments

Last edited:
O

ogle1975

Audiophyte
my upgraded system

so this weekend was my b'day. wife let me do some upgrading to our (my) system as a gift. so here's how it stands right now:

harman/kardon avr 20 - receiver (prologic anyone?)
h/k fl3800 - 5 disc changer
pioneer sq 50 - 10 band EQ
technics sl-dl5 - automatic turntable w/ grado green cartridge (vinyl rules!)
toshiba sd4800 - 1 disc dvd
samsung hifi VCR - don't know model #
polk audio r30 floorstanding - fronts (a)
b&w dm302 bookshelf - fronts (b)
polk audio csm - center
sony ss-wgv8 - sub
bose (give me grief about them later) model 141 - rear surrounds
toshiba 27" crt

okay, so it STILL needs improvement. i know this. thinking the first thing to be changed is going to be the receiver. looking at a marantz sr5500. any alternate suggestions?

W

W_Harding

Junior Audioholic
Have you considered the new HK receivers? The HK units have Logic 7 that other manufacturers do not have. The Marantz has Circle Surround. It is tough to choose with so many good units available.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
heere is my very first set up...

Onkyo DS-TX777
JVC dvd player
xbox & gamecube
Energy Take series 5.1 system

it works pretty good for me... but i am wanting louder, make the neighbors down the street wet the bed..lol

here are my future plans

Outlaw Audio Model 990
Monster AVS2000 Voltage Stabilizer
Multi Disk DVD/CD Changer (200+, havent decided on a brand yet)
single disk sacd

Speakers
SC2 center
SB2 surrounds
ST4 towers

Subwoofer
SV PB12 Plus 2 sub

then after i financialy recover after that..lol i hope to get some amps... :) and then hopefully the 1080i sets are REALLY cheep...

oh and btw this is semi temporary.. i have a room in the basement thats long and fairly narrow...perfect for my future HT

sjsrocks

sjsrocks

Audiophyte
This is my HT for now.
Mitsubishi WS-55809 HDTV
Panasonic RP-62 DVD
Lite On LVW-1105 DVD recorder
Samsung SIR-TS160 Directv receiver
JVC RX-888 a/v receiver
JBL Northridge center
Fisher STV-875 3way 15" front
Fisher STV-881 3way 12" rear
Dayton 8" 250w sub

After the New Year I will be changing the receiver and speakers to.
Marantz SR-8500
Paradigm cc-570
Paradigm studio 60s v3 front
Paradigm studio 20s v3 rear
SVS PC Ultra

Attachments

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
AVliner...your color scheme is...uhm..."interersting". Aside from that, the only real issue I can see would be ventilation. Unless there's a good-sized opening on the back of the cabinet, it seems like your electronics would get a bit toasty with the doors closed. You might want to do something about this (unless you leave the doors open while in use).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis