Plasma manufacturer says "you bought it you live with it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
We've replaced bad plasma panels in multiple Samsung sets. I've never seen a bad Panasonic or Pioneer panel. Samsung has also had issues with voltage regulation causing red sparkles in the picture. An adjustment usually fixes this but the problem usually returns within a few months.

I suspect that Samsung panels are more susceptible to burn in simply based on the fact that in servicing these sets I have seen evidence of image retention/burn in in sets that have been in a customers home for no more than 2-4 months.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We've replaced bad plasma panels in multiple Samsung sets. I've never seen a bad Panasonic or Pioneer panel. Samsung has also had issues with voltage regulation causing red sparkles in the picture. An adjustment usually fixes this but the problem usually returns within a few months.

I suspect that Samsung panels are more susceptible to burn in simply based on the fact that in servicing these sets I have seen evidence of image retention/burn in in sets that have been in a customers home for no more than 2-4 months.
There you have it. The voice of experience. I think that ends the discussion, it does for me anyway. Members BEWARE. Junk is the most costly equipment you will buy.

annunaki

annunaki

At the place I work part-time, I have seen a few Samsung's come back within a couple of weeks with said issues.

Never have we had a Panasonic come back with burn in. Rarely, if ever, do we get a Panasonic back period. :p

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
At the place I work part-time, I have seen a few Samsung's come back within a couple of weeks with said issues.

Never have we had a Panasonic come back with burn in. Rarely, if ever, do we get a Panasonic back period. :p
When we first got our Panasonic plasma I warned my wife about keeping a static picture on for too long for the first 100 hours and she was very careful. I also ran the burn-in dvd for 2 days straight and just proceeded to normal use right after. A couple of weeks back she went out and forgot to turn off the TV so the DVR went into power save mode and just put white letters on a gray background right in the middle of the screen for about 5 hours. When I got home it had image retention but after 30 secs of normal TV playing it went away completely. Now I will say that we are not as careful as we were when we first got the TV but to this day we have encountered 0 problems with burn-in. IR is pretty common but goes away after turning off the TV or playing something for less than 30 secs. I would put some of the blame on the TV and not just the OP considering how old the TV is as it should have over 100 hours of usage already.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
I'm glad for everyone

I'm glad that hopefully anyone considering buying this set DOES NOT!

I'm glad that you repair folks of this set concure with what I found out the hard ($6K) way.

Jeeze, sometimes posting on these sites can be a true test. You get some people who "know it all" and others who "read every word in the manual" and you feel like you've F***** up. I did nothing wrong and got screwed without a thank you, I might add.

Beware,
Todd

You may want to read my post on the receiver section for the Yamaha 863...bad news here too. Maybe I should just stay away from consumer electronics....

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Sorry for your misfortunes Todd. Yamaha makes excellent products, but as with any manufacture units can be subject to defect. The tv and the receiver are to completely different set of circumstances. As for staying away from ce, i would just research your purchases a little more, and find a good B&M that you can build a repore with. Bashing the vendors doesnt solve the problems you have and would only confuse new buyers that are looking for direction. Samsung TVs fit the bill for many consumers looking for price points only and dont have the need for higher end displays. As with many manufactures they make good, better and best, however their best may not rival others better, and this is where due diligence falls with the research.

And with all thats been said this thread should be closed.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Bandphan,

I didn't bash ANY vendor..However I did tell the truth about certain MANUFACTURES. What is the problem with bringing up the OBVIOUS problem with Samsung Plasmas? How would this new owner "fit the bill" He's getting screwed! I thought that is what this forum was all about..Obviously you think other.."new users" should be screwed too.

I disagree. I'll call a POS a POS and tell everyone of MY experience..Just like a review..You don't like it..sorry..

I thought this forum was about keeping new investors in their HT apprised about problems. BTW..You are bringing up the Yamaha problem here..There is another thread about this..Check it out.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42517

I'll tell everyone how the store handles this and I know they'll do the best (next day)

Talk to ya,
Todd

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
POS!!!!:p

Peace,
Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Bandphan,

I didn't bash ANY vendor..However I did tell the truth about certain MANUFACTURES. What is the problem with bringing up the OBVIOUS problem with Samsung Plasmas? How would this new owner "fit the bill" He's getting screwed! I thought that is what this forum was all about..Obviously you think other.."new users" should be screwed too.

I disagree. I'll call a POS a POS and tell everyone of MY experience..Just like a review..You don't like it..sorry..

I thought this forum was about keeping new investors in their HT apprised about problems. BTW..You are bringing up the Yamaha problem here..There is another thread about this..Check it out.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42517

I'll tell everyone how the store handles this and I know they'll do the best (next day)

Talk to ya,
Todd
Todd just read what i said, i was trying to give you advice nothing more, and i did post on the yamaha thread twice. Sorry if there was offence taken, none meant

as for unreal freak, was that directed towards me?? if so feel free to pm so we may discuss

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
as for unreal freak, was that directed towards me?? if so feel free to pm so we may discuss
It was absolutely, in no way,directed toward you.....Sorry if you took it that way. I was meerly admiring 02ViperTodds ability to stick to his guns, and that was my way of agreeing with him. There has been numerous posts before this one where other forum members have stated they have seen no issues with burn in on other brands of Plasmas no matter how they treated it. If the brand in question has an issue, then i feel it is only the consumer who got burned, in this case 02ViperTodd, responsibility to inform others about there experience.

This forums needs to make welcome members like him. He has been blasted time after time in this thread about not reading his manual yet he has kept his cool and pressed on. People can get their point across on these types of things without coming across brash.

I appreciate the thread 02ViperTodd. hope you get it sorted.

Again, sorry if you took my previous post as a slam on you bandphan. It was meerly an "Amen" in agreement to 02ViperTodds previous post about calling a POS a POS no matter what the brand or the circumstance.

Peace,
Tommy

canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
bump. what did the store you bought it from say about the burn in?

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
They wouldn't address the burnin issue. They told me to talk to the manufacturer.

The manufacturer (Samsung) told me exactly what the start of this thread is.

Todd

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
@bandphan

I just noticed your signature.

"But he's going to see the big board!"

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
This is what happens when you buy a plasma, ignore all reasonable advice (including the manual), and run it in super-high contrast and brightness viewing 4:3 content for hours on end.

Run a break in DVD and change your settings to something reasonable.

By the way, did hte Samsung representative say the actual quote in the title of this thread?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
This is what happens when you buy a plasma, ignore all reasonable advice (including the manual), ...
It is what can happen when one reads over and over from misinformed people posting that "burn-in isn't an issue anymore", and one foolishly believes these people. Generally speaking, an owner's manual is a much better source for advice than the comments from some person who posts on line, as one can never be sure that the person knows what they are talking about. One should always be careful about believing something one reads from people posting on line, even if many different people say the same thing. This brings to mind the logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum, which is sometimes rendered as appeal to the many. Just because a bunch of people believe something, that does not make it true. The burn-in issue is a good example of this.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
"The burn-in issue" is a result of people doing really braindead things with their TVs.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

jack d ripper

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
It is what can happen when one reads over and over from misinformed people posting that "burn-in isn't an issue anymore", and one foolishly believes these people. Generally speaking, an owner's manual is a much better source for advice than the comments from some person who posts on line, as one can never be sure that the person knows what they are talking about. One should always be careful about believing something one reads from people posting on line, even if many different people say the same thing. This brings to mind the logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum, which is sometimes rendered as appeal to the many. Just because a bunch of people believe something, that does not make it true. The burn-in issue is a good example of this.
im not dissagreeing with not an issue, again with proper setup, and a quality product it isnt. Ive specd well over 30 plasmas in the last 3 years, and no burn in, i repeat no burn in:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis