Plasma manufacturer says "you bought it you live with it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Lighten up on the guy. I agree with a little more due diligence may have been in order on his part. Everyone seems to be forgetting a few strong factors with plasmas. A lot of sales people will tell you that plasmas don't or cant suffer burn in anymore. There's also a lot of similar info on the web and even here at AH.

I was personally told 2 months ago by each sales person I spoke with in each of several different stores that plasmas no longer suffer burn in and that I should have been looking at those instead of lcds. And for the most part that was very similar to what I was reading here.

Jack:)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Lighten up on the guy. I agree with a little more due diligence may have been in order on his part. Everyone seems to be forgetting a few strong factors with plasmas. A lot of sales people will tell you that plasmas don't or cant suffer burn in anymore. There's also a lot of similar info on the web and even here at AH.

I was personally told 2 months ago by each sales person I spoke with in each of several different stores that plasmas no longer suffer burn in and that I should have been looking at those instead of lcds. And for the most part that was very similar to what I was reading here.

Jack:)
I agree with you Jack. Making a product that will not survive normal family use without a fuss is just not on. And then typical of large corporations they take no responsibility. I have NEVER seen a product by Samsung that I consider a quality product, or that I would have pleasure owning. I will continue not to recommend them.

I hear their heavy equipment is duff also. Fortunately we can still make that for ourselves, and really good gear too, with impeccable after sales service anywhere in the world!

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Hi Again,

I ran the scrolling thing all day and I really can't tell a difference as of yet. Should I run this every day for a while to get the outer ends of the screen the same as the middle part? I'm not sure how this is gonna work because the scrolling thing is equally illuminating every part of the screen so why would it correct the ...uumm I guess unburnt areas to match the burnt areas? If you know what I mean.

I will say one thing, I'm glad I posted this to make sure noone else has this problem.

I know some of you think I'm an idiot but I asure you I'm not. I had read threads about burn-in being a thing of the past. I promise you it's not!

I bought a TV not a dang MRI machine. I guess I expected too much for $6000 acording to some of the replies on here. I'm not necessarly bashing Samsung, however, that's the brand that bit me.

I'm old enough to remember Atari coming out with PONG and my dad (in the 70's) telling me it would burn the phospurus (sp) on the CRT. WOW 2008 and a high dollar TV still doing the same thing?

I would totally understand that I screwed up if the TV was on for 4 months 24/7 4:3...but it wasn't! A couple hours a day 4-5 days a week...and this problem??

To the person that said something about printing manuals...YES if this thing is so suceptable to this...put a HUGE RED flier in the manual warning of this!

Hopefully this thread WILL warn people of it. I don't see everyone reading every word of a manual and digesting it, hell even reading the whole thing, I do have a life that's not focused on a TV....LET THE FLAMES FLY!

Anyway, I hope this helps the next guy..

Will someone tell me how long I need to run the scrolling thing or the DVD I made from majorloosers recomendation...

Thanks,
Todd

annunaki

annunaki

Samsungs seem to be more susceptible to burn in than other plasmas. Why this is, I don't know? Panasonic and Pioneer do not seem to have any issues.

I have seen a 50px75u that had a stationary image on it for over 5+ hrs. It had some image retention for about 30 minutes but disappeared soon thereafter with no long term effects.

Plasma's benefits and few quirks far out weigh the disadvantages of LCD at this point in my opinion.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
MAJORLOOSER,

I have to say..that video of Monty Python was great!!

As you can see from someone's post that the manual does say 5% of the time should only be 4:3...Well as far as I can calculate a 30 min show will have 3 breaks of 2 min commercials which is 33%. Most commericials I've seen are in the 4:3 format. Where do they calculate in the other shows that are brodcast in 4:3, and how do they remedy this? Obviosly one could never meet their 5% or less recomendation..

Open for review..

I guess I'm still an idiot...

Thanks,
Todd

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

I know some of you think I'm an idiot but I asure you I'm not. I had read threads about burn-in being a thing of the past. I promise you it's not!
Indeed, one can read such nonsense here and at other web sites all the time. If burn-in were a thing of the past, the first brand that "solved" the problem would have given a warranty against it and bragged about it as a sales tactic. The people who say it is a thing of the past literally don't know what they are talking about. If they only read the manual to their plasma TVs they would know that it is very real.

To those who still insist it isn't real, READ YOUR DAMN MANUAL! What does the manufacturer say about it? Do you know more about it than they do? Yeah, right.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

MAJORLOOSER,

I have to say..that video of Monty Python was great!!

As you can see from someone's post that the manual does say 5% of the time should only be 4:3...Well as far as I can calculate a 30 min show will have 3 breaks of 2 min commercials which is 33%. Most commericials I've seen are in the 4:3 format. Where do they calculate in the other shows that are brodcast in 4:3, and how do they remedy this? Obviosly one could never meet their 5% or less recomendation..

Open for review..

I guess I'm still an idiot...

Thanks,
Todd
No! They, Samsung are the idiots. You just don't design something like that, let alone charge that kind of money.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Indeed, one can read such nonsense here and at other web sites all the time. If burn-in were a thing of the past, the first brand that "solved" the problem would have given a warranty against it and bragged about it as a sales tactic. The people who say it is a thing of the past literally don't know what they are talking about. If they only read the manual to their plasma TVs they would know that it is very real.

To those who still insist it isn't real, READ YOUR DAMN MANUAL! What does the manufacturer say about it? Do you know more about it than they do? Yeah, right.
He should have read it before he bought it. Moving pixels works. I have played 4:3 material on mine for a lot more than 5% of the time and it is fine.

Bottom line, you know what brand to avoid in future.

E

Emusica

Audioholic
I've had a panny plasma for 3 years now. I play A LOT of video games, no poblems here. I watch ESPN HD all the damn time. The static ticker at the bottom has never burned in on my screen. I've never had an issue. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but it hasn't. ;)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
This thread is an eye opener.

I read a lot of threads here on Audioholics before making my recent choice of a Panny Plasma, Viera TH-42PX75U. Price was a big factor. But for all that the basic gist of what I read was that burn in was a thing of the past.
Gosh, reading this thread has sure got me reaching for my o.m. I don't watch a ton of tv, and am the only user of the unit. But, sheesh, what if I left it on accidentally one day?
So far I think the unit is a great piece of gear and I am very happy with it.
But I did buy it with the impression that burn in was a non issue.
<--------going to get manual out right now!
Thanks, Todd.

canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
I still think what's killing me is the fact that he paid that much for a television and he wasn't told by his sales guy every aspect of owning a plasma. The way I try to look at it is, people can research stuff themselves, and save a lot of money buying it on the internet. If you're going to go into a store and pay the extra premium, you better get the education you deserve. If I found out one of my employees did not educate someone FULLY on the differences between plasma and LCD and what the ups and downs of each are, i'd kill them. Especially someone who spent this much on a television.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
VT where are we with the setup disc? :confused: updates please

"If I found out one of my employees did not educate someone FULLY on the differences between plasma and LCD and what the ups and downs of each are, i'd kill them. Especially someone who spent this much on a television."

But make sure your employees are properly trained. Ive found that even some of the best employees at my local shop have been missinformed, or didnt get the just of what they were told. I use to go to mini ces that were sponsored by a local company for their employees, although they were informative, vendors reps sometimes didnt know there own products well or would parrot with the memory of a goldfish.

Last edited:
canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
VT where are we with the setup disc? :confused: updates please

"If I found out one of my employees did not educate someone FULLY on the differences between plasma and LCD and what the ups and downs of each are, i'd kill them. Especially someone who spent this much on a television."

But make sure your employees are properly trained. Ive found that even some of te best employees at my local shop have been missinformed, or did get the just of what they were told. I use to go to mini ces that were sponsored by a local company for their employees, although they were informative, vendors reps sometimes didnt know there own products well or would parrot with the memory of a goldfish.
I won't say all of my employees are trained flawlessly, but my top ones know more than most. They sure as hell know a lot more than the idiot product reps. If one of my newer guys has a big sale, until he's comfortable and certified, they're trained to do a "hand to" to one of our veteran sales guys who know to explain this sort of thing.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Thanks for the cautionary tale, Todd.

My Panasonic warranty is very explicit on burn in. Warranty "does not cover retained images on picture tubes resulting from viewing fixed images......". It goes on to mention letterboxing, non expanded 4:3, and logo retention as possible reasons for "image retention". But, this plasma has a screen saver function that is activated if the unit is not operated for a "certain" time in sd mode. I have yet to see the screen saver come up....

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
My Panasonic warranty is very explicit on burn in. Warranty "does not cover retained images on picture tubes resulting from viewing fixed images......". It goes on to mention letterboxing, non expanded 4:3, and logo retention as possible reasons for "image retention". But, this plasma has a screen saver function that is activated if the unit is not operated for a "certain" time in sd mode. I have yet to see the screen saver come up....
you find most dont use this feature and it is set to off out of the box. This a thread that i have forwared to some clients that choose not to pay for setup.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858851

also this a general info page
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I use to go to mini ces that were sponsored by a local company for their employees, although they were informative, vendors reps sometimes didn't know there own products well, or would parrot with the memory of a goldfish.
Sounds like pharmaceutical reps!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

David,
I would go to your set up menu and see what your options are for preventing burn in. I bet your screen saver is turned off for a start. You may have other options. Mine has a lot, but default is to have them all turned off!

jinjuku

jinjuku

I still think what's killing me is the fact that he paid that much for a television and he wasn't told by his sales guy every aspect of owning a plasma. The way I try to look at it is, people can research stuff themselves, and save a lot of money buying it on the internet. If you're going to go into a store and pay the extra premium, you better get the education you deserve. If I found out one of my employees did not educate someone FULLY on the differences between plasma and LCD and what the ups and downs of each are, i'd kill them. Especially someone who spent this much on a television.
I said it in post
"Ok, now let the excuses for not getting your learn on fly...".

They should have a huge warning on the cover of the manual warning people about this. First THREE pages is all I have to say. How, HOW can you not read the user guide on a $6K purchase!?

at the same time, someone spending that sort of money on a television expects it to work flawlessly. How does the amount of $$ you spend obviate the need to use your common sense? I would think that kind of cash outlay would require SOME due diligence. You know what they say about assumptions.

In summary, the first post of this thread should really read "Brand X" cause if you had done this with anyone else's plasma the results would have been the same and the warnings are just as obscure. Not really...:rolleyes: From Pioneer, to Panny, to Samsung, Hitachi, Fujitsu, they document this stuff quite well.

Indeed, why do they put in aspect ratio choices such that using them counts as "abuse" of the TV? The makers of the TVs are either morons or they want people to ruin their TVs. The information is out there, people just need to research and make a decision with information. That is why I don't own a plasma.

To the person that said something about printing manuals...YES if this thing is so suceptable [sic] to this...put a HUGE RED flier in the manual warning of this! Hopefully this thread WILL warn people of it. I don't see everyone reading every word of a manual and digesting it, hell even reading the whole thing, I do have a life that's not focused on a TV....LET THE FLAMES FLY!
I don't know what to say about some one who won't read a manual for $6K purchase. A fool and their money. The first three pages, no more than a 60 second read tells you EVERY THING you need to know about burn in. Dear lord...:eek: Ignorance is not often rewarded. Can't feel for ya here. Excuse after excuse.

I still think what's killing me is the fact that he paid that much for a television and he wasn't told by his sales guy every aspect of owning a plasma I agree, that is what you would hope for and obviously pay for. Bottom line, it is a sales person, not a consultant. Again; Buyer Beware. Do your own homework.

I hope he can get his plasma straightened out. My goal here is really not to make people aware of burn in, it is to make people aware to do their own thinking and their own research before spending their hard earned dollar. If you don't understand what is in the user guide then understand you are beyond your technical ability and seek out advice.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I just want to chime in here. I haven't read every post in this thread but I think some people make way too much out of this burn in thing.

I own a plasma TV. I have never once worried about whether watching the National Geographic channel for several hours straight would leave a little square in the bottom right corner of the screen. It hasn't happened. Same goes for watching movies with the bars on the top/bottom. There is absolutely no hint of burn in. I use my TV just like any other TV and I am still amazed by the picture and I simply don't even think about burn in. I've had my set for over four months now and it still looks like the day I got it. I'd put the picture quality up against any LCD on the market.

I think the problem in some sets stems from the panels. I have never been a fan of Samsung plasma sets and would never buy one myself based on the number of problems I have personally encountered with them at my job. We have sold hundereds of Panasonic and Pioneer plasma sets and have never had any problems. As far as I know we have never had a customer come back complaining about burn-in. The sets on display in the store show the same channel all day long and never show any signs of burn in.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I just want to chime in here. I haven't read every post in this thread but I think some people make way too much out of this burn in thing.

I own a plasma TV. I have never once worried about whether watching the National Geographic channel for several hours straight would leave a little square in the bottom right corner of the screen. It hasn't happened. Same goes for watching movies with the bars on the top/bottom. There is absolutely no hint of burn in. I use my TV just like any other TV and I am still amazed by the picture and I simply don't even think about burn in. I've had my set for over four months now and it still looks like the day I got it.

I think the problem in some sets stems from the panels. I have never been a fan of Samsung plasma sets and would never buy one myself based on the number of problems I have personally encountered with them at my job. We have sold hundereds of Panasonic and Pioneer plasma sets and have never had any problems. As far as I know we have never had a customer come back complaining about burn-in.
So Annunaki is right, Samsungs are known for this, right? If so members beware. This is what I suspected, as I've had no problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis