Plasma manufacturer says "you bought it you live with it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
Hi All,

I can't believe it. I've owned a Samsung FP-T6374 for 4 months. It got screen burn. I called Samsung and they told me to basically suck it. There is a small blurb about 4:3 on the second page of the manual that they will NOT cover burn in. The supervisor told me some people call them within a couple days with this problem. DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG PLASMA!!

I would think this would be first page with HUGE letters warning people of this problem! I read about it here AFTER I bought the TV.

Sorry, I'm pissed.. unbelievable...

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG PLASMA!!!

If anyone has a way I can fix this (which I can't see how) let me know. The supervisor said I needed to have the screen replaced and that would cost 1/2 the price of the TV...WTF..4 months old?!?!?!?!

DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG PLASMA!!

Just a warning,
Todd

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
did you try to reverse the retention? Improper use and setup can cause problems. Speak to the vendor that sold the tv to you, i know the people i deal with wouldnt want to lose a lifer. Go to the people that sold the tv to you, you shouldnt have burn in with usage in the way described in your other post.

canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
I have to be honest. I realize you're in a frustrating situation, but I think about any manufacturer would tell you the same thing.

How do you use the television that caused the burn in to happen so quickly?

N

NapaDRB

Junior Audioholic
I don't know how bad your situation is and I have no personnel experience with it, but as recommended in your other thread I would try the break in DVD and the "scan" feature in your set that you mentioned.

With the break in DVD you can set your player to "repeat" and let it play overnight to see if it will reverse the image retention. If you decide to try this method be sure of your "repeat" setting on your DVD player so that the DVD doesn't stop and you wind up with the menu from your player burned on to your screen.

02ViperTodd

Junior Audioholic
THanks All,

I have an electronic engineering degree. I know that this type of thing should NOT happen in a 4 month period. There is NO excuse for this $6000,00 for a TV?? It has had problems 4 months later??? What the hell?

I can't believe a manufacturer would distrubit this kind of trash at this price..

I'm a business owner, I would be ashamed of MYSELF for manufacturing this crap..What are they thinking?

Not just venting, but informing,
Todd

canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
THanks All,

I have an electronic engineering degree. I know that this type of thing should NOT happen in a 4 month period. There is NO excuse for this $6000,00 for a TV?? It has had problems 4 months later??? What the hell?

I can't believe a manufacturer would distrubit this kind of trash at this price..

I'm a business owner, I would be ashamed of MYSELF for manufacturing this crap..What are they thinking?

Todd
Again, what's your usage like? plasmas have an inherent tendency to burn in much easier than LCD's. NapaDRB had good advice for you. There are solutions for image retention.

majorloser

majorloser

You really should try that break-in DVD. It has scrolling screens of various colors that helps get all of the phosphorus burned to the same degree.

Also, if you set has a "stretch" function that stretches the 4:3 to 16:9, you should use it. I know it's ugly and makes people look fat, but........

canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
You really should try that break-in DVD. It has scrolling screens of various colors that helps get all of the phosphorus burned to the same degree.

Also, if you set has a "stretch" function that stretches the 4:3 to 16:9, you should use it. I know it's ugly and makes people look fat, but........
but you get used to it and it doesn't even phase you after awhile. :cool:

getting my gf to use the stretch function has been an epic battle. i don't want any burn in. also, if your TV is capable of it (it better be for that price), and you can't stand the stretch feature, switch the color of the black bars on the sides in 4:3 shows, and movies in cinematic aspect ratio to a gray color as it would be less prone to burn in.

E

erick.s

Junior Audioholic
This kind of thing is inherent in plasma technology - it would have happened to any plasma you bought. I get that you're pissed about it but it's your (or someone that lives in your home) viewing habits that caused it. Just a little research on your part before buying the TV (or even a thorough perusal of the manual) would have told you this. I have a plasma and with proper break in and care this kind of thing is easily avoided. As others have said, this is most likely not permanent (though you don't seem to be acknowledging the advice). Run a burn in DVD for a few days and you should see a huge reduction (if not total elimination) of the problem. Don't be mad at the manufacturer - be mad at yourself for not knowing what you bought and how to use it properly. This is user error, not a manufacturing defect.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
THanks All,

Todd
This is the second post about Samsung burn in to be posted in 24 hours. My nose smells junk. I have had a Fujitsu plasma TV for two years. I have not had a burn in problem or any others. I researched this purchase carefully, and even though it cost twice as much as anything else, I thought it worth the price. The picture is the best I have ever seen anywhere. Now they have been forced out of production my this damn junk, and will discontinue production at the end of the month. Is there no end to this race to the bottom?

canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
This kind of thing is inherent in plasma technology - it would have happened to any plasma you bought. I get that you're pissed about it but it's your (or someone that lives in your home) viewing habits that caused it. Just a little research on your part before buying the TV (or even a thorough perusal of the manual) would have told you this. I have a plasma and with proper break in and care this kind of thing is easily avoided. As others have said, this is most likely not permanent (though you don't seem to be acknowledging the advice). Run a burn in DVD for a few days and you should see a huge reduction (if not total elimination) of the problem. Don't be mad at the manufacturer - be mad at yourself for not knowing what you bought and how to use it properly. This is user error, not a manufacturing defect.
at the same time, someone spending that sort of money on a television expects it to work flawlessly. i can see why he's pissed.

i'd bet a bagel this is user error though. it's unfortunate you were not educated before making your purchase be it self taught, or explained by a competent sales rep. either way, if you want low maintenance, buy an LCD.

your advantage with a plasma at this point is that your burn in is reversible if you follow the instructions given to you in this thread. if you had an LCD, as far as i know, burn in is permanent.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Samsung. No burn in at all. The set(or brand) isn't junk. Quit brand bashing. :rolleyes: You should be a little more attentive with your 4000 dollar toy.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
This is unfortunate, but....

Manufacturers as well as nearly every extended warranty program I've ever seen consider screen burn in an issue of ABUSE. Leaving a static image on screen (and yes, black bars count as a static image) is considered a form of abuse. What's just BS at this point is why manufacturers even put a 4x3 aspect mode in the set's software if they know that it could lead to "abuse". Aren't they tempting unknowing consumers?

Manuals for TV's (particularly CT rear projection) have stated this for years and years. Unfortunately, double E or not, you didn't read yours until it was too late. This isn't a case of the TV just failing and Samsung refusing to honor their warranty.

As far as the set costing $6000 goes, any more with consumer electronics you pay for performance and features, NOT durability. It's the same way with cars. I can buy a Porsche for $90K, but because it's $90K does that mean it will be more reliable than a $17K Honda? Not at all.

There are a lot of companies out there that will honor their products with really great warranties. Parasound gives 10 years. Several speaker manufacturers offer lifetime warranties. Best TV warranty I've ever seen is from Planar (they recently bought Runco & Vidikron), a really high end brand of LCD TV that I recently picked up. Their "Customer First" factory warranty is phenomenal: Two years, immediate full replacement. They send me, the dealer, a new TV and I put your bad one in and the delivery driver takes it away. That's it. A warranty like Planar's is unheard of in the video market because most sets are made by companies that are generally too big to care.

Personally, I would be really angry at the store you bought it from. It's awful if they didn't explain to the T what happens if you watch 4 x 3 on a plasma. I ASSURE you that they know what burn is in and how it occurs. It's ludacris for a store carrying a set such as that to not care enough about you as their client to educate you on your new TV!

I own a business, too (an A/V integration company), and, while I certainly would have made CERTAIN you knew what burn in was and how to avoid it, the absolute LEAST I would do with an accident like this is offer you a new one at my dealers cost. Actually, if it came down to it I would call my rep and beat him into getting me the replacement at a reduced rate, then I would calculate out the profit I made from your first purchase and then have you pay the difference. Sure, I would have made zero on your purchase, but that's only one deal out of the year. A solid business can live with breaking even once in a while and should want to see their clients taken care of. You might want to try to work out replacement options through where you purchased the set? See if they can work with you on a replacement. Where did you buy it from?

Lastly, while my remarks in this post may at times have seemed harsh or insensitive I assure you that I feel horribly bad for what you're going through. You invested in what you thought was going to be an exciting product for years to come, only to get 4 months and a big "Sorry". Please keep us posted as to what ultimately happens with your TV situation.

Best of luck.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
at the same time, someone spending that sort of money on a television expects it to work flawlessly. i can see why he's pissed.

i'd bet a bagel this is user error though. it's unfortunate you were not educated before making your purchase be it self taught, or explained by a competent sales rep. either way, if you want low maintenance, buy an LCD.

your advantage with a plasma at this point is that your burn in is reversible if you follow the instructions given to you in this thread. if you had an LCD, as far as i know, burn in is permanent.
I don't know if it is his error or not. On my Fujitsu you can not go to wide screen with 4:3 aspect ratio material. The set however has a screen orbiter, that moves the picture once per hour. You can set it to move 5,10 or 15 pixels.

It seems to me there should be something in the design of the TV to stop this happening. If you can cause a burn problem by watching 4:3 material in the correct proportions, then that is bad design period.

I have to say I have viewed, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung and of course Fujitsu, and I have to say I like the picture on the Samsungs the least. So may be there are more issues.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree, Samsungs customer service is downright awful. They made a horrible impression on me when I had to deal with them.

At this point it sounds like you are stuck with the tv, regardless of what caused the burn in and where the blame may lie. I say run the burn in dvd for a few days and let us know if it fixed the problem or at least helped out. If it fixes the problem then you can move forward knowing what to expect from the set. If not, then perhaps by then a few more solutions may arise.

Best of luck

Jack

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
How come every time I mention plasmas and burn in problems, people here keep telling me that it's basically a thing of the past... obviously it's still and issue, and that's why I don't reccomend getting a plasma if you can help it. Sorry to hear about your problems, have you talked to the place you got if from to see if they can offer any help?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
How come every time I mention plasmas and burn in problems, people here keep telling me that it's basically a thing of the past... obviously it's still and issue, and that's why I don't reccomend getting a plasma if you can help it. Sorry to hear about your problems, have you talked to the place you got if from to see if they can offer any help?
it can be with abuse and improper setup, it think that its not burn in but retention, and there is a difference. Im waiting to see what happens after he runs the setup discs. I spec plasma for clients that are in finanical industry quite often with no issues. You are correct in that you can get burn in, but there are factors the will contribute to it others than watching shows with fixed images. With the exception of panna and pio elites most of the setups i do(especially with universal remotes) i will lock the sets into a strecth mode to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis