Plasma manufacturer says "you bought it you live with it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Remember,Samsung is the same company that is refusing to provide any further firmware updates for certain Blu-Ray disc player models that have been rendered unuseable by recent changes in Blu-Ray disc encryption.As I recall,some angry customers are suing Samsung.

Luckily,I don't own any Samsung equipment, nor will I ever. They are obviously unresponsive to the consumers of their products.

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
"The burn-in issue" is a result of people doing really braindead things with their TVs.
To quote the Water Boy "my moma said" if you dont have something nice to say, its best not to say anything at all.

Why would you say such harsh things? Who benefits from it?

And just an FYI, i was at Best Buy just 2 weeks ago looking at the LCD televisions. The television department head walks up to me and asks why am i considering LCD. I responded with "plasma burn in". He replied " lets look at this new Panasonic Plasma over there, It dont have that problem" Well i asked to see the manual on the set (awesome picture quality on the Panasonic), It says it right there in the manual that it is a risk. So with that being said. Its not just the customers who are misinformed. The retailers will lead you astray as well.

Im not Pro LCD or Pro Plasma, i like whatever i can afford, and fits my application. Im not gonna come into someones thread that just had thier teeth kicked in by bad luck and kick them while they are down. Lets all just get along........:confused:

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
My LG plasma burns in all the time. But its only temporary burn in. Its not the consumers fault. What do you expect to happen when EVERY channel puts static watermarks on their content. Why do they do that anyway? Can't they just fade it in every five minuets....I know what channel I'm watching.....

Most sets these days have active burn in repair built right into the menu. I know mine does. So if you utilize this function at the first sign of burn in you should be fine.

Heck I game all the time on mine (PC Gaming) and I don't have ANY permanent burn in whatsoever.

jinjuku

jinjuku

To quote the Water Boy "my moma said" if you dont have something nice to say, its best not to say anything at all.

Why would you say such harsh things? Who benefits from it?

And just an FYI, i was at Best Buy just 2 weeks ago looking at the LCD televisions. The television department head walks up to me and asks why am i considering LCD. I responded with "plasma burn in". He replied " lets look at this new Panasonic Plasma over there, It dont have that problem" Well i asked to see the manual on the set (awesome picture quality on the Panasonic), It says it right there in the manual that it is a risk. So with that being said. Its not just the customers who are misinformed. The retailers will lead you astray as well.

Im not Pro LCD or Pro Plasma, i like whatever i can afford, and fits my application. Im not gonna come into someones thread that just had thier teeth kicked in by bad luck and kick them while they are down. Lets all just get along........:confused:
First off: I can't believe this thread is still alive and kicking.

Speaking of kicking; no one is kicking the OP whilst he is down. What is getting picked apart is the assumption made by the OP. That is perfectly fair game.

The over arching statement made is that Samsung is at fault and the consumer isn't. That got debunked pretty fast with a .PDF download of the user manual which is available before purchasing the TV in the first three pages.

I am all about helping someone and jumping on the bandwagon when they have been slighted. But if you post here asking for peoples sympathies because you were too *whatever* to read up before dropping $6K.

I can't feel sorry for someone with more money than smarts. I mean you actually have someone whining that the user guide is, gasp, 83 pages. That they have a 'Life' that is busy enough to preclude reading through a document that would take a single lunch break to peruse.

Last edited:
unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
First off: I can't believe this thread is still alive and kicking.

Speaking of kicking; no one is kicking the OP whilst he is down. What is getting picked apart is the assumption made by the OP. That is perfectly fair game.

The over arching statement made is that Samsung is at fault and the consumer isn't. That got debunked pretty fast with a .PDF download of the user manual which is available before purchasing the TV in the first three pages.

I am all about helping someone and jumping on the bandwagon when they have been slighted. But if you post here asking for peoples sympathies because you were too *whatever* to read up before dropping $6K.

I can't feel sorry for someone with more money than smarts. I mean you actually have someone whining that the user guide is, gasp, 83 pages. That they have a 'Life' that is busy enough to preclude reading through a document that would take a single lunch break to peruse.

You can interpret the comments made by some as you see fit, but the fact is they (the comments) were made to belittle the person who had the plasma burn in. In this case the original poster.

I never at any point seen anywhere he was seeking sympathy. That's something you and others have assumed.

the only thing i have seen is that he was trying to get his experience with this set/brand public, to keep others from making the same mistake as he did.

i have made only a few posts in this thread, Mostly to show support.

If all i had to say was negative i wouldn't have even posted on the subject.

You call it "picking apart" Ill call it kicking him when he is down.

We will have to agree to disagree.....cause i'm not changing my view of the above comments. And i doubt if you will either. But hey, I'm OK with disagreeing as long as its done civil :D

Peace To Ya!!
Tommy

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
You can interpret the comments made by some as you see fit, but the fact is they (the comments) were made to belittle the person who had the plasma burn in. In this case the original poster.

I never at any point seen anywhere he was seeking sympathy. That's something you and others have assumed.

the only thing i have seen is that he was trying to get his experience with this set/brand public, to keep others from making the same mistake as he did.

i have made only a few posts in this thread, Mostly to show support.

If all i had to say was negative i wouldn't have even posted on the subject.

You call it "picking apart" Ill call it kicking him when he is down.

We will have to agree to disagree.....cause i'm not changing my view of the above comments. And i doubt if you will either. But hey, I'm OK with disagreeing as long as its done civil :D

Peace To Ya!!
Tommy
read the title of the thread:cool: no kicking stating facts only....

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
read the title of the thread:cool: no kicking stating facts only....
The Title doesn't make me think anyone is out for sympathy. And that wasn't the title when originally posted. When i seen the title in the beginning it grabbed my attention and made me read the thread. My first reaction wasn't " Oh my God!, someone said something bad about a TV manufacturer".

I read the post and made up my own mind based on my knowledge of Plasma TVs. I was glad He posted this because it made me dig deeper into other areas and forums about Samsung, and also about Plasma TVs in general.

It didn't change the way i feel about Plasma TVs. I don't hold Plasma over LCD, Nor do i prefer LCD over Plasma.

All I'm trying to say is lighten up in the wording of the posts,

here are a few quotes from previous posts that come to mind
(none of which are beneficial or totally factual):

"I can't feel sorry for someone with more money than smarts"

"You wanted Samsung to put a big 'Purple Button' that says "place your brain here, you won't need it".

"Look, I don't know what research you did before plunking down $4K + for a TV, but I am pretty sure of what you didn't"

"This is what happens when you buy a plasma, ignore all reasonable advice (including the manual), and run it in super-high contrast and brightness viewing 4:3 content for hours on end."

"The burn-in issue" is a result of people doing really braindead things with their TVs."

I guess i could just quit reading any new posts on this thread if i didn't want to see guys taking cheap shots at the OP, but i was trying to follow the thread and hopefully see a favorable outcome.

Thats all, im done, My corner has thrown in the towel...:p:D

Peace,
Tommy

jinjuku

jinjuku

All I'm trying to say is lighten up in the wording of the posts,

here are a few quotes from previous posts that come to mind
(none of which are beneficial or totally factual):

"I can't feel sorry for someone with more money than smarts"

"You wanted Samsung to put a big 'Purple Button' that says "place your brain here, you won't need it".

"Look, I don't know what research you did before plunking down $4K + for a TV, but I am pretty sure of what you didn't"

"This is what happens when you buy a plasma, ignore all reasonable advice (including the manual), and run it in super-high contrast and brightness viewing 4:3 content for hours on end."

"The burn-in issue" is a result of people doing really braindead things with their TVs."

I guess i could just quit reading any new posts on this thread if i didn't want to see guys taking cheap shots at the OP, but i was trying to follow the thread and hopefully see a favorable outcome.

Thats all, im done, My corner has thrown in the towel...:p:D

Peace,
Tommy
Let me address the first three snippets since I posted them.

The more money than smarts; I am not the only one that read it that way. Heck I wasn't even the first to post such. For those that can read between the lines, the OP went and picked up a $6K TV, didn't read the user guide, had burn in after 4 months of usage, and THEN thought to get their learn on and found AH. To the astute observer of the way events unfolded, my comment is not unfounded. It is really a conclusion that is in all reasonablness.

On the comment knowing what research the OP didn't do; three minutes on Samsungs site netted me everything that I needed to know about the panel in question. Again, simple deduction and another correct conclusion drawn.

The 'The Big Purple' button is in response to consumers that won't self educate or find someone to help them in a very general sense. I happened to lay it out here. I am welcome to my opinion same as you are yours. Although I happen to think the group seeing it this way are in the majority here.

I think it sucks that Viper has a $6K expenditure that he can't really enjoy. I would hate to frickin' walk in my house after a hard days work and see the monster staring right back at me. I hope the tips and tricks here work for him and neither him or his plasma are burned.

I think it comes back to this: The OP posted here to vent and get help. I think he got some help and advise that he may not have wanted to hear. Some times it's just better to throw yourself to the mercy of the Jury than to hold to a tenuous posistion that some one else put the screws to you. There are 10's of thousands of happy Samsung plasma owners out there.:rolleyes:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
my comment on the title was that it indicated fault with the tv and the factory said so what, to bad. I do think after the short period of time that best buy or whoever he purchased from would have been more accomedating. This thread brought to light the need to research and understand purchases prior to making them, and thats good. Heck i didnt bump this thing, just jumped back on. I just picked up a new plasma last week and have been running the burn in disc since, just over a hundred hours so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis