Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

R

ridikas

Banned
Hi Dennis, any plans for a 2-way bass reflex bookshelf with a RAAL tweeter, 6.5" midwoofer, and either matte, or piano black gloss finish? :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi Dennis, any plans for a 2-way bass reflex bookshelf with a RAAL tweeter, 6.5" midwoofer, and either matte, or piano black gloss finish? :D
No--The RAAL ribbon is too delicate to cross safely to a large woofer in the range it needs to be crossed. I'm offering the Philharmonitor because (1) there is a demand for an accurate ribbon monitor at a reasonable price, and
(2) the speakers are already fully assembled and won't distract my cabinet maker or me from other tasks.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No--The RAAL ribbon is too delicate to cross safely to a large woofer in the range it needs to be crossed. I'm offering the Philharmonitor because (1) there is a demand for an accurate ribbon monitor at a reasonable price, and
(2) the speakers are already fully assembled and won't distract my cabinet maker or me from making KEW's speakers.
Fixed it for ya!

:D:D:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
"Although the Philharmonitor is a joint venture with a dealer who sells the speaker in Asia under the "Alexis" moniker, Philharmonic Audio was responsible for the crossover design work and driver selection. ""
Yep here they are Alexis Sound Dennis I guess they call them
Rebecca
Hmm that center looks awful familiar as well..........

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Very true. Any reason why their center isn't on the website?
I think there is a shortage of the custom Fountek faceplates. Not many of the centers have been manufactured yet. Hopefully we can work something out if there's much interest in the monitors.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
"Although the Philharmonitor is a joint venture with a dealer who sells the speaker in Asia under the "Alexis" moniker, Philharmonic Audio was responsible for the crossover design work and driver selection. ""
Is it difficult to design a "Natural Sound Crossover (NSX)", Dennis? :D :cool: :p :eek:

The Alexis Ribbon 1 Transducer
Ummmm...this?

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Now Now--I'm not responsible for the Asian marketing campaign. I list all the facts in the specs section on my site.
As long as the speaker sounds good and passes the looks test, I don't care. The Philharmonitor looks good has nice specs, so on that, when is the new basic looking tower going to be revealed ? ;)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Now Now--I'm not responsible for the Asian marketing campaign. I list all the facts in the specs section on my site.
I know. :) I was making fun of their marketing. It was a swipe at them, not yourself. I don't think it would be appropriate to hold you accountable for the things they list on their site. :D

I very much appreciate the complete lack of snake oil and marketing jib-jab at Philharmonic Audio. It is a breath of fresh air!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I know. :) I was making fun of their marketing. It was a swipe at them, not yourself. I don't think it would be appropriate to hold you accountable for the things they list on their site. :D

I very much appreciate the complete lack of snake oil and marketing jib-jab at Philharmonic Audio. It is a breath of fresh air!
I knew you were joshing--but I did want to take an opportunity to disassociate myself from some of that hype. Actually, though, it's quite mild compared with some of the stuff I've seen for products sold to the Asian market.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
NSX, a wonderfully appropriate name for such a sexy crossover. :D

Bob

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Actually, though, it's quite mild compared with some of the stuff I've seen for products sold to the Asian market.
It is pretty mild. I'm actually a little disappointed they didn't give me more to work with! Tannoy Cryo freezes their crossovers

Crossover with Deep Cryogenic Treatment
High end components and a ‘simple, straight’ philosophy combine to create a crossover with an ultra clean signal path. Low loss laminated core inductors ensure optimum LF performance while the HF network’s audiophile grade polypropylene capacitors are acoustically damped using the Tannoy DMT™ material. The Definition crossover sets the benchmark for signal integrity, reproducing music with all the articulation and intelligibility of the original performance.

The entire crossover assembly is subject to revolutionary Deep Cryogenic Treatment (DCT), achieving unparalleled gains in resolution and creating a more natural, cohesive sound. Using a proprietary process, the Definition crossover is supercooled to –190 degrees Centigrade and thawed over a set time period. This permanently reduces internal stresses in the microstructure of the crossover’s component materials, leading to better signal transfer and superior resolution of fine detail.

No compromise audiophile features Silver plated, high purity oxygen free copper internal wiring is used exclusively throughout the Definition loudspeaker. The OFC copper offers substantial gains in signal transfer and the silver plating affords unsurpassed HF signal transfer in the ‘skin’ region of each conductor. The substantial WBT™ electro-plated brass speaker terminals ensure effective coupling and high current signal transfer from the widest range of external loudspeaker cables.

Tannoy’s unique fifth speaker terminal electrically grounds the driver chassis, dramatically reducing radio frequency interference circulating in most hi-fi audio systems. Eliminating this RF ‘noise’ in Definition reaps considerable benefits in midrange clarity and further opens up the soundstage throughout the presence region for truly expressive music presentation.
Westlake Audio (I know someone who works there :() has P.E. Distortion:

Glenn Phoenix White Papers

and all they could come up with is Natural Sound Crossover? As far as clever snake oil goes, that's pretty weak. :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis