Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
PENG, I just found out on AVS that the gloss finish (which is not piano high-gloss, but looks really great) only costs $50 per pair! The mahogany veneer is $100/pr. The gloss is another $50/pr. I think the full front grilles are like $100/pr (can't remember).
Time for a midcourse correction. I misread an e-mail Del sent me. The gloss itself is $150/pr. For the red mahogany shown, the total cost with the premium veneer, stain, and gloss is around $370.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG, I just found out on AVS that the gloss finish (which is not piano high-gloss, but looks really great) only costs $50 per pair! The mahogany veneer is $100/pr. The gloss is another $50/pr. I think the full front grilles are like $100/pr (can't remember).
Mahogany probably matches well with the Yammie piano in the living room though. Is your piano black?

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
What did I miss here, phil 1's $2700 phil 2's $3100, where have I been, last visit to site was $1600+options and $2000+options..............:eek:

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
What did I miss here, phil 1's $2700 phil 2's $3100, where have I been, last visit to site was $1600+options and $2000+options..............:eek:
Yup--I'm afraid the party is over. I've run out of, or just about run out of, the Asian cabinets that, along with basic insanity on my part, made the $2000 price possible. Future Phil 2's will have custom made cabinets identical to those of the Phil 3 in either the new style shown at the Capital Audio Fest, or in the original Phil 3 style. So the difference in price between the 3 and the 2will just be the difference in my cost for the woofers. The new-style Phil 3's are $3500/pr, so the corresponding Phil 2 will be $3100. Phil 3's with the old-style cabinets will be $3300/pr, and the Phil 2's with those cabinets will be $2900/pr. The Phil 2's will go 2 or 3 Hz lower in the larger Phil 2 cabinets, which will bring their useful response to about 30 Hz or a little lower.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup--I'm afraid the party is over. I've run out of, or just about run out of, the Asian cabinets that, along with basic insanity on my part, made the $2000 price possible.
So there will be no made in China components at all?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
So there will be no made in China components at all?
Hi I ordered 25 pairs of cabinets--that was 100 pieces (two tops, two bottoms per pair). Some were damaged in shipping, and I've sold out of all the remaining cabinets excpet maybe one pair. I'm certainly not ordering more. Do you know what 100 cabinet boxes look like in your basement? I was able to see my projection screen for the first time two weeks ago. And the Chinese factory probably would up the minimum order to 50 pairs this time around. In the real world, it isn't possible to buy 3-way speakers with the RAAL tweeter for $2000/pr.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi I ordered 25 pairs of cabinets--that was 100 pieces (two tops, two bottoms per pair). Some were damaged in shipping, and I've sold out of all the remaining cabinets excpet maybe one pair. I'm certainly not ordering more. Do you know what 100 cabinet boxes look like in your basement? I was able to see my projection screen for the first time two weeks ago. And the Chinese factory probably would up the minimum order to 50 pairs this time around. In the real world, it isn't possible to buy 3-way speakers with the RAAL tweeter for $2000/pr.
I prefer made in North America products in general, especially toys for me.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For $400 difference, I think the sales will be 100% Phil3 and 0% Phil2. :D

Plus veneer/stain for ~ $100/pr; plus gloss for $150/pr. :D

Last edited:
J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Well, I did a little comparison using the solid backs on my Phils and using the open back. I can definitely say for big orchestral music the open back wins hands down. However, in my room and in my opinion the closed back I got has its merits. Without a center channel running, I like the closing off the back because voices are a bit clearer and everything is pushed forward.

I don't think more detail is needed, I think the closed back is fun to play with, but for everyone else it really isn't necessary and I think PENG will come to love the open back design when he gets it :D I know I do.
I've had some time to play around with mine, and I agree with Fuzz on this one. I will extend the open back to all live performances - although the differentiation is apparent with classical, several live recordings of jazz and rock have also produced smiles I didn't remember before. Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Sting, U2. One particular surprise was Kraftwerk. While electronic music isn't really my thing it's hard to avoid if clubbing with friends, and while live it's enjoyable, in the home I never play it, but with minimal fill the Philharmonics reproduce the real deal, that club feel.

I can't decide which I prefer more. The difference is subtle, so I've gone with about 1/3 fill. In a perfect world a vacuum tube with a remote control button would accompany these speakers!

For comparison with other comments, the back of the bass cabinet rests about 16" from my rear wall.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I think everyone should go to philharmonicaudio.com :D
Nice job Fuzzy, it looks great. Aren't those maple cabinets gorgeous?? And that center speaker is almost cuddly it's so cute. ;)

Edit: I am presuming you helped with the overhaul, but not sure.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Yeah, closing the price differential that much makes the 3 a lot more appealing.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

Could be, but that's the actual difference in my woofer cost. For people with subs, the Scans are pretty much a waste. Also, if you get the old style cabinets, the base price for the 2's is $2900.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Nice job Fuzzy, it looks great. Aren't those maple cabinets gorgeous?? And that center speaker is almost cuddly it's so cute. ;)

Yup--The fuzzmeister took over yesterday. We haven't had a chance to discuss anything yet. But it looks great so far. Just one thing--the Phil 1's actually start at $2500 in the old style cabinet. The $2700 price is for the new cabinet.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yup--I'm afraid the party is over. I've run out of, or just about run out of, the Asian cabinets that, along with basic insanity on my part, made the $2000 price possible. Future Phil 2's will have custom made cabinets identical to those of the Phil 3 in either the new style shown at the Capital Audio Fest, or in the original Phil 3 style. So the difference in price between the 3 and the 2will just be the difference in my cost for the woofers. The new-style Phil 3's are $3500/pr, so the corresponding Phil 2 will be $3100. Phil 3's with the old-style cabinets will be $3300/pr, and the Phil 2's with those cabinets will be $2900/pr. The Phil 2's will go 2 or 3 Hz lower in the larger Phil 2 cabinets, which will bring their useful response to about 30 Hz or a little lower.
Did you mean to say "Phil 3" where highlighted above?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

I was the overhaul :D The new website is all me, well except for all the pictures and information and reviews I stole from various people and websites............so like I said the website was 50% me :p

And yes, I still despise you for the cuddly center ;)

Yup--The fuzzmeister took over yesterday. We haven't had a chance to discuss anything yet. But it looks great so far. Just one thing--the Phil 1's actually start at $2500 in the old style cabinet. The $2700 price is for the new cabinet.
I'll change that right meow

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis