Perlisten S7t Tower Speaker Review

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I was asked by someone interested in them.
Your assumption that I wasn't is also wrong. While I've admitted I don't particularly like the looks with the grills on I am most curious as their sound and apparently they have met your satisfaction and more so, excellent !

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Also review of s7t in Stereophile by Kalman Rubinson: https://www.stereophile.com/content/perlisten-s7t-loudspeaker

Bottom line: The Perlisten S7t reminded me of no other passive speaker that I have heard before. Overall, the Perlisten S7t is the best speaker I've heard in this room. It should be considered by anyone seeking long-term musical satisfaction without practical limitations. New company, new speaker, new world

Darn it looks cool in black:
Reading this review and thbottom line
« Overall, however, I found the 804 D4's sound seductive. This is a loudspeaker you need to audition. »
If only I would be able to compare.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
So, you have them but I see no mention of a 'glowing recommendation' ? Rather you admit you would have liked to have heard them first ?
Now that I reread your original comment I still do not find it free of sarcasm or criticism.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Now that I reread your original comment I still do not find it free of sarcasm or criticism.
Sorry, your 'sensitivity' is obviously greater that that of your speakers !

Try not to loose any sleep tonight over it , ok ........

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
One thing that bugs me on these speakers is the relatively great horizontal distance between midranges and tweeter, I am surprised that this does not create audible issues :rolleyes:

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One thing that bugs me on these speakers is the relatively great horizontal distance between midranges and tweeter, I am surprised that this does not create audible issues :rolleyes:
Huh? The horizontal distance between midrange and tweeter? There is none.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Huh? The horizontal distance between midrange and tweeter? There is none.
Looks like midrange is flush with the front while tweeter obviously is in a waveguide, certainly looks like distance there

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like midrange is flush with the front while tweeter obviously is in a waveguide, certainly looks like distance there
"Great horizontal difference" was your comment and it makes no sense. The midranges and tweeter are combined into the central driver. The only way to get them any closer would be to have a coaxial driver. There is no horizontal distance because the drivers are arranged vertically.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You say all these 3 drivers are in the same vertical plane
A quarter of a wavelength at 4.4KHz is 0.74 Inches if I am not incorrect, so I assume it´s more than a quarter of a wavelength offset....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If you are talking about the tweeter being recessed while the mid drivers are flush to the front surface, I see your point, but there was a lot of engineering that went into that design and it accounts for the extraordinary dispersion pattern that this speaker exhibits. Does this mean that you do not like any speaker that uses a wave guide for the tweeter because it will be recessed relative to the mid-range or mid-woofer? There are plenty of designs out there where the tweeter and mid-range are not in the exact same vertical plan but you need to examine the crossover design in combination with that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A quarter of a wavelength at 4.4KHz is 0.74 Inches if I am not incorrect, so I assume it´s more than a quarter of a wavelength offset....

The difference in depth is necessary for the beam-forming to occur. The midranges are set a bit behind those grille things anyway, so the depth that you think you see might be exaggerated. If there were phase issues caused by the distance difference, it would be manifest in the frequency response. You would see some significant comb-filtering in much of the shared bandwidth, but of course, we don't see any of that.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I can´t see any issues at all with the measurements in Stereophile, I am sure there is tons of engineering going in there and those guys at Perlisten obviously know what they are doing....

I was just pretty curious about this one thing ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I can´t see any issues at all with the measurements in Stereophile, I am sure there is tons of engineering going in there and those guys at Perlisten obviously know what they are doing....

I was just pretty curious about this one thing ;)
Our measurements are far more detailed than those of Stereophile and we don't see any issues you're concerned about in the spacing of the drivers. In fact, it's one of the best measuring speakers we've ever reviewed.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Our measurements are far more detailed than those of Stereophile and we don't see any issues you're concerned about in the spacing of the drivers. In fact, it's one of the best measuring speakers we've ever reviewed.
Yeah…. Can´t see any issues with your measurements.... and the listening experience seem to be unreal nice :cool:

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I suspect it time aligns very well, as high pass passive filters always advance phase, and therefore by extension time. The advance is a quarter cycle for every order of the crossover. Low pass filters do the opposite.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
About the stated con of cost in the review …

I don’t see these as excessive priced thinking this is a serious attack at true statement, cost no object. Statement speakers from the likes of Dynaudio and Piega are orders of magnitude more expensive; and Perlisten is made in US, looks like a million dollars … maybe comparison is not fair

I think these look like real good value proposition:cool:

Maybe KEF Blade 2 is a genuine competitor, I simply love what those speakers do…. Also some of the new Audio Physic products are cool :cool:

Last edited:
oldgoalie33

oldgoalie33

Junior Audioholic
Perlisten speakers are made in China. Corporate office is in Wisconsin.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
About the stated con of cost in the review …

I don’t see these as excessive priced thinking this is a serious attack at true statement, cost no object. Statement speakers from the likes of Dynaudio and Piega are orders of magnitude more expensive; and Perlisten is made in US, looks like a million dollars … maybe comparison is not fair

I think these look like real good value proposition:cool:

Maybe KEF Blade 2 is a genuine competitor, I simply love what those speakers do…. Also some of the new Audio Physic products are cool :cool:
Blade 2 wouldn't have the directivity control or the dynamic range of the S7ts. The Blades are cool speakers, but they are a bit outmatched here. The Blades look really cool though, and really are great performers.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Blade 2 wouldn't have the directivity control or the dynamic range of the S7ts. The Blades are cool speakers, but they are a bit outmatched here. The Blades look really cool though, and really are great performers.
My take on speakers!

To me dynamic range by itself has zero value, some of the best speakers I ever came across (Duntech PCL-15) are very limited in dynamic range but are extremely capable of creating a magic illusion.... some of the best speakers with regards to macrodynamics as fas as I know is the Avantgard horn speakers; I listened to some of them and they all sounded like complete crap to me... Male voices sounded like Tom Waits singing in a megafon, which is not OK, unless you only listen to that one song where Tom Waits actually sings into a megafon, this makes for very limited choice of music.

The best speakers from dynamic perspective is probably Magico Ultimate, but as fas as I have heard first hand from people listening to them, they can only play Japanese music, and I don´t listen to Japanese music.

What matters to me is the speakers capability to create a magical illusion of being there. I have never seen or heard anyone suggesting any way of how to measure a speakers magic... How do you measure a speaker´s magic?

I suggest that for this to work it all has to come together... Phase coherence, frequency response, power resonse, microdynamics, macrodynamics, power compression, distortion, directivity control and tons of other things. I suggest there is no way you can have all of this because there is no speaker that is best at all these things.... so I reckon it at the end all comes down to personal preference.

I would never buy speaker based on a review or one person´s opinion, I trust only .... my ears at the end ;)

Maybe I would like the s7t, maybe not, but tons of measurements at the end of the day are only measurements.....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis