Perlisten S7t Tower Speaker Review

D

Dan Nagar

Audiophyte
Or it's not Audyssey causing the hiss particularly, but rather the pre-pro manufacturer who installed it. I have a variety of avrs with Audyssey, hiss has never been an issue (and it would be for me if it was the cause, I'd return the electronics).

ps in reading many many threads on the subject, can't say anyone else reported hiss except you.
thats definitely an option - for example - Dirac adds about 6db boost the when its engaged, that can add hiss if there a gain structure issue between pre/pro.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
can't comment on Audyssey ,as i have no experience with it .
i have used a few RC system in my past and now using only Dirac.
Dirac is the only room correction that I think is worthwhile for a full range correction. While I haven't used Audyssey limited to bass range, my hunch is that it is probably OK for just the transition frequency and below.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Since this thread is already a long way off of the main road and into the cornfield, I think "room correction" is a misnomer. The software isn't doing anything to the room at all. It is trying to produce the best sound while compensating for the acoustics of the room. I think is should be called Room Acoustics Compensation. I mean, who wouldn't appreciate a nice RAC?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Or it's not Audyssey causing the hiss particularly, but rather the pre-pro manufacturer who installed it. I have a variety of avrs with Audyssey, hiss has never been an issue (and it would be for me if it was the cause, I'd return the electronics).

ps in reading many many threads on the subject, can't say anyone else reported hiss except you.
Yeah I've never heard any hiss either, and it would definitely piss me off if I did.

I will say my comments are mainly about bass, below the transition frequency. Above that I can see the argument for not wanting to use rc if you have good, neutral speakers to start, but most speakers in most rooms are going to have issues below the Schroeder frequency and could use some help.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Since this thread is already a long way off of the main road and into the cornfield, I think "room correction" is a misnomer. The software isn't doing anything to the room at all. It is trying to produce the best sound while compensating for the acoustics of the room. I think is should be called Room Acoustics Compensation. I mean, who wouldn't appreciate a nice RAC?
In the glossary in the GLM v4 manual the term AutoCal is explained as "Genelec automatic room response calibration method". Close enough to your suggestion, I guess.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Also review of s7t in Stereophile by Kalman Rubinson: https://www.stereophile.com/content/perlisten-s7t-loudspeaker

Bottom line: The Perlisten S7t reminded me of no other passive speaker that I have heard before. Overall, the Perlisten S7t is the best speaker I've heard in this room. It should be considered by anyone seeking long-term musical satisfaction without practical limitations. New company, new speaker, new world

Darn it looks cool in black:

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Would love to listen to these speaker. Right now there's only one importer in Canada, it's not even an audio shop.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah I've never heard any hiss either, and it would definitely piss me off if I did.

I will say my comments are mainly about bass, below the transition frequency. Above that I can see the argument for not wanting to use rc if you have good, neutral speakers to start, but most speakers in most rooms are going to have issues below the Schroeder frequency and could use some help.
Well, with my sensitive speakers, if you engage Audyssey, you can easily hear hiss at the listening position, and I have 75 year old ears. I don't know about the rest, but Audyssey substantially degrades the SNR, and I have measured it. Luckily I have a systems that Audyssey could only spoil and not improve, so I have absolutely no need of it.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, with my sensitive speakers, if you engage Audyssey, you can easily hear hiss at the listening position, and I have 75 year old ears. I don't know about the rest, but Audyssey substantially degrades the SNR, and I have measured it. Luckily I have a systems that Audyssey could only spoil and not improve, so I have absolutely no need of it.
Not everyone builds their own house with audio in mind along with speakers, and have the competence and money to do so properly. ;)

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Would love to listen to these speaker. Right now there's only one importer in Canada, it's not even an audio shop.
I have these speakers. I purchased them off the merit of the reviews and in consultation with Matthew Poes here at audioholics. I would have liked to have heard them first, but I wonder how my naive ears would compare to those of James or Matthew who review new speakers over and over all year long. The Perlistens are also in short supply and hard to keep in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have these speakers. I purchased them off the merit of the reviews and in consultation with Matthew Poes here at audioholics. I would have liked to have heard them first, but I wonder how my naive ears would compare to those of James or Matthew who review new speakers over and over all year long. The Perlistens are also in short supply and hard to keep in stock.

They’ve trained themselves to detect flaws in loud speakers when listening to them, so sometimes ignorance is a bliss and less expensive as well. :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

So, you have them but I see no mention of a 'glowing recommendation' ? Rather you admit you would have liked to have heard them first ?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
So you wanted a new owner to predictably say “wow these are great?” I already wrote that I trusted Matthew to know his business.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well if you want to take a trip to Arizona to select every component, while staying within my budget, then design and build my system from the ground up to work perfectly with my room I would likely not find much use for Audyssey either.

Until then I prefer to use it for my bass frequencies. Not to mention I have never heard any hint of hiss, ever. I dunno how sensitive your speakers are, but mine are 90 dB anechoic so...

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic

Would love to know what is your feeling about having invested that much. I have read multiple "serious" reviewer saying they :
- never heard any passive speaker performing like the Perlisten
- they are "probably" the best speakers they have listen to
- they are end game speakers

It's a lot for a new company and a new product :)

Curious about how to amplify those too...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's a lot for a new company and a new product
Perhaps... if the actual design team was new, but they are not. ;)

You will experience a Speaker in the Perlisten which will be very different than anything B&W produces, even their Flagship 800 Series. The new Stereophile review of the 800D4 shows a Speaker with several flaws, for example. By all accounts, the Perlisten line will be much more neutral, revealing, and perhaps accurate to a fault, along with having a very tightly controlled dispersion pattern.
I have no doubt that the Perlisten line is highest quality. It is also a very specialized design.
I hope you get a chance to hear them. I know I would love to hear them, though I am not in the market for anything like that.
:)

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Would love to know what is your feeling about having invested that much. I have read multiple "serious" reviewer saying they :
- never heard any passive speaker performing like the Perlisten
- they are "probably" the best speakers they have listen to
- they are end game speakers

It's a lot for a new company and a new product :)

Curious about how to amplify those too...
Matthew was eager to hear my opinion as well. I recently retired and was on an upgrading journey and decided to not to go with another interim step but just get them.

Matthew also had me looking at towers from Focal Kantas and Salks and then active bookshelfs from Dutch and Dutch. In the end I decided not to do another “interim” purchase and just go with what I financially would consider end game for me. Convinced myself it would eventually be cheaper because I just knew I would always regret not getting them. I also got the center s7c and six of the S4s and one pair of Revel M8 SP2 for rear heights. I power LCR with Hypex NC1200 monoblocks and surrounds and heights with Hypex multi8 NC252.

They are extremely “present” filling the room (5500cu ft) with ease and never ever any listener fatigue. Originally I just bought the towers and center. But the SVS prime elevations I was using for surrounds and heights just started irritating me—almost brassy in comparison. So I bought the rest. The revel is a quality sound that barely fits in the location. The space is too small for the s4s. But the revels blend and measure well.

One last point, I would have never considered spending that much with out professional advice and guidance.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So you wanted a new owner to predictably say “wow these are great?” I already wrote that I trusted Matthew to know his business.

that's not what what I said or implied young man......

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Matthew was eager to hear my opinion as well. I recently retired and was on an upgrading journey and decided to not to go with another interim step but just get them.

Matthew also had me looking at towers from Focal Kantas and Salks and then active bookshelfs from Dutch and Dutch. In the end I decided not to do another “interim” purchase and just go with what I financially would consider end game for me. Convinced myself it would eventually be cheaper because I just knew I would always regret not getting them. I also got the center s7c and six of the S4s and one pair of Revel M8 SP2 for rear heights. I power LCR with Hypex NC1200 monoblocks and surrounds and heights with Hypex multi8 NC252.

They are extremely “present” filling the room (5500cu ft) with ease and never ever any listener fatigue. Originally I just bought the towers and center. But the SVS prime elevations I was using for surrounds and heights just started irritating me—almost brassy in comparison. So I bought the rest. The revel is a quality sound that barely fits in the location. The space is too small for the s4s. But the revels blend and measure well.

One last point, I would have never considered spending that much with out professional advice and guidance.

see, now you demonstrated your ability to elaborate a wee bit ! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis