PB 12 NSD vs PB 1000

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I might be splitting hairs on this but would there be a significant difference between these two subs? I know the 12 is an older model with more power and a bigger driver. Would it outperform the 1000? Thanks for helping me spend my money!

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I might be splitting hairs on this but would thief be a significant difference between these two subs? I know the 12 is an older model with more power and a bigger driver. Would it outperform the 1000? Thanks for helping me spend my money!
According to Ed Mullen at SVS:
The PB12-NSD has about 50% more max output than the PB-1000 in the 18-36 Hz octave (they have similar max output in the 40-80 Hz octave).
So yes, it is an improvement over the newer PB1000.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My gut instinct is Yes. A friend once said, there is no replacement for displacement. Larger driver... larger amp... more bass.
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/pb12-nsd
The true camparison would be, in my book, between the NSD and the PB2000.
If you can get the PB12 still, I think its a worthwhile deal. My only caution is: is it right for your room?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
My gut instinct is Yes. A friend once said, there is no replacement for displacement. Larger driver... larger amp... more bass.
If you can get the PB12 still, I think its a worthwhile deal. My only caution is: is it right for your room?
Thanks Ryanosaur, yes my room is large so I really think I need two of whatever I do. I love the sound of the 1000, clean articulate bass. If I went with the PB 12, is there anything else I would lose from a sound/technology standpoint?
Again I love the product so much that I already want more! Dirty trick you all played on me.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Ryanosaur, yes my room is large so I really think I need two of whatever I do. I love the sound of the 1000, clean articulate bass. If I went with the PB 12, is there anything else I would lose from a sound/technology standpoint?
Again I love the product so much that I already want more! Dirty trick you all played on me.
If u already have the 1000... do not mix subs without getting some advice... and I am not the expert here.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
If I went with the PB 12, is there anything else I would lose from a sound/technology standpoint?
Not really. The PB1000 doesn't have the bells and whistles that come with SVS's higher end subs (3000 series and up).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
switched from my phone... sorry for the second post.
Multiple subs work best if they are matched. It is possible to mix different models or brands, but can also be problematic to set up properly.
If you want to upgrade and can... check with SVS about returning the 1000, or just jump in and order 2 more.

I personally have been using an underpowered and undersized sub for years in a room ~8000'3. With an old onkyo HTIB along side speakers the size of kleenex boxes. They can work. But really, I would need 2-3 15" bohemeths to maximize bass in that room.

So couple quick slightly educated recommendations, in no particular order:
a) return the 1000, buy 2 pb12nsd now. and maybe another next year if you think you need more even better bass.
b) just buy two more pb 1000s now, or one now and another next week. ;)
c) return the pb 1000 and straight up upgrade to the largest single sub you can allow yourself to afford that will trully handle your room... so maybe even a PB4000? then save to buy the second 9mos-a year down the line.
How big is your room?
And like I said... I lived with under-powered and under-sized bass for years. if that sounds good to you now... just increase the number. :)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
switched from my phone... sorry for the second post.
Multiple subs work best if they are matched. It is possible to mix different models or brands, but can also be problematic to set up properly.
If you want to upgrade and can... check with SVS about returning the 1000, or just jump in and order 2 more.

I personally have been using an underpowered and undersized sub for years in a room ~8000'3. With an old onkyo HTIB along side speakers the size of kleenex boxes. They can work. But really, I would need 2-3 15" bohemeths to maximize bass in that room.

So couple quick slightly educated recommendations, in no particular order:
a) return the 1000, buy 2 pb12nsd now. and maybe another next year if you think you need more even better bass.
b) just buy two more pb 1000s now, or one now and another next week. ;)
c) return the pb 1000 and straight up upgrade to the largest single sub you can allow yourself to afford that will trully handle your room... so maybe even a PB4000? then save to buy the second 9mos-a year down the line.
How big is your room?
And like I said... I lived with under-powered and under-sized bass for years. if that sounds good to you now... just increase the number. :)
The room measures 8’ high, 16’ wide, 20’ long or deep. Seating postion is 15’ from the screen. No surround sound.
I can get WAF for 1 more sub not two. (Two total) If I can get one more 1000 it would be nice, but I will be haunted by the what if’s of the 12NSD.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi OO,
That's only ~2500'3. not so bad. ;) The Bassaholic room ratings/test protocols here at Audioholics calls that a medium room.
IF... you are remotely considering the upgrade, and can get 2 PB12NSD, while returning the 1000, you will be in pretty good shape.
On the other hand, I don't like the game of shipping back and forth... I think you could be fine with 2 PB1000.
Now, if you really want to engage with the Bass-Fiend part of your conscience, Consider the upgrade to 1 PB2000 or 1 PB3000 now, and then get the second matching one a few months down the line. Again, buy the best single sub you can allow yourself to afford, now, and upgrade to duals when you can.
The last thing on my mind is making you spend money, but I can tell you like what you heard with a good-small subwoofer.
I sent the link for the NSD earlier, and if you haven't read it, do so and compare to this for the 2000 series. They don't have the 3000 reviewed yet as it only came out this month.
Just food for thought!
And really, there is nothing wrong with either the 1000 or the 12NSD... but if you want two, do yourself the favor and match them up!
Cheers!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
(Two total) If I can get one more 1000 it would be nice, but I will be haunted by the what if’s of the 12NSD.
It's not worth losing sleep over IMO. I say that having owned both the PB10-NSD (an old, less powerful predecessor to the PB1000) and the PC12-NSD (the cylinder version of the PB12). It was an upgrade, but a marginal one vs the "holy sh*t, holy sh*t, holy sh*t" kind of upgrade you might have in mind. Moving to the PB13-Ultra (predecessor to the PB4000) after that was another story.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The 2000s are significantly more powerful than the NSDs.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hah hah we're here to help! :p In that size room as mentioned about a medium sized room Id go with the PB12 duals or dual PB 2000's that should cover it. Man I wish I had a room that size. It takes a lot more coin to fill a bigger room with the dynamics and spl that I like.
I have a solution you wanna trade places? I get to take all my equipment with me tho :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey if it makes you feel any better they played that trick on me too!!!!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Hey if it makes you feel any better they played that trick on me too!!!!
You want to talk about dirty tricks... those old SB & PB12-NSD subs also include this tidbit:
Limiter LED The limiter LED illuminates when the amplifier is being over driven, protecting the driver and amplifier from potential damage. This LED may flicker during exceptionally loud passages which should cause no concern. If the LED is lit continuously, you should lower the input signal, the amplifier gain, or a combination of both to ensure you are receiving full dynamic range of the amplifier.
Basically every time it flashes, you get a not so subtle reminder that you really do need a more powerful subwoofer :p Beware!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Hah hah we're here to help! :p In that size room as mentioned about a medium sized room Id go with the PB12 duals or dual PB 2000's that should cover it. Man I wish I had a room that size. It takes a lot more coin to fill a bigger room with the dynamics and spl that I like.
I have a solution you wanna trade places? I get to take all my equipment with me tho :p
Where do you live?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t have those TLs yet, amigo... or my avr. :(

...but soon... :) well for the avr. 5 mos on the Phil3s
Ya I hope you get a Christmas miracle and your Marantz shows up under the tree in perfect condition. Did you buy it new?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis