PB 12 NSD vs PB 1000

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ya I hope you get a Christmas miracle and your Marantz shows up under the tree in perfect condition. Did you buy it new?
It was new 6 mos ago. Still waiting to listen to a full album on it with out it cracking out. ;) I’ve still never taken the stickers off of the front! If this tech figured it out like she thinks, I’ll be stoked! Hell if I wasn’t already taken, I’d fall in love with her! :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It was new 6 mos ago. Still waiting to listen to a full album on it with out it cracking out. ;) I’ve still never taken the stickers off of the front! If this tech figured it out like she thinks, I’ll be stoked! Hell if I wasn’t already taken, I’d fall in love with her! :p
A chick that repairs audio? Sweet mamba Jamba that's hot! Hey! Put in a good word for me! :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
San Antonio Texas I think you'll like it gotta warn you tho the summers are brutal!
Lmao! Not as brutal as our winters!!! It’s not even bad yet, and the high for today was like 26°. Ugh...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lmao! Not as brutal as our winters!!! It’s not even bad yet, and the high for today was like 26°. Ugh...
I grew up in Kansas so I know about cold winters I just traded them for hot summers where abouts are you?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I grew up in Kansas so I know about cold winters I just traded them for hot summers where abouts are you?
Lol. Nope. You don’t.
I’m in the middle of Minnesota. Couple years ago, we had over 50 consecutive days where it didn’t get over 0°. Overnight lows were in the -20 to -40 range. I windchill...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lol. Nope. You don’t.
I’m in the middle of Minnesota. Couple years ago, we had over 50 consecutive days where it didn’t get over 0°. Overnight lows were in the -20 to -40 range. I windchill...
Oh yeah well one time in Kansas there was 50 consecutive days where it snowed a LOT so... soo.... Ehhh I I give up you outwintered me

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes!!! But you guys helped....... Nurture it.
Yup... classic sign of an addict. ;)

AND
Oh yeah well one time in Kansas there was 50 consecutive days where it snowed a LOT so... soo.... Ehhh I I give up you outwintered me
Oh Lawdy, Lawdy... not another "my snow is deeper than your snow" converstaion.
:cool:

OH, And
A chick that repairs audio? Sweet mamba Jamba that's hot! Hey! Put in a good word for me! :D
Put your projection screen back in the box! She's mine until she's done with playing with my digital board! :cool:

#facepalm

Now thats all outa the way... for now.

I'm a St Louis Boy... so yeah, hard summers and, well... moderately hard winters.
@William Lemmerhirt : Move south! ;) And West. Just watch out for our Fire Season out here. :(
20 yrs in the Bay area now. You can take the boy out of the Midwest. But sure as hell aren't putting him back!
#drop the corn dog and funnel cakes and walk away

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I keep playing with this sub but I still don’t get the wall shaking glass breaking base I read in the reviews. Great sound no punch.
I listen with the volume set to 60.

Tech questions:
1. Onkyo 6.5 recommended setting crossover at 80. Is that ok?
2. Low pass set to lfe, phase set to zero, volume at 12:00.
3. When calibrating my speakers the Onkyo book says set at 80db. The B&W book does not recommend a calibration level. Is 80db ok for any speaker system hooked up to the receiver?

The easiest thing for me to do is buy another 1000 sub. But will I just have two of something I am not crazy about.

If I can get two of the Pb 12’s that would be my second option, but I hate box this one back up and ship it.

Buy one 2000 and maybe get another one in 6 months.

First world problems.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I keep playing with this sub but I still don’t get the wall shaking glass breaking base I read in the reviews. Great sound no punch.
I listen with the volume set to 60.

Tech questions:
1. Onkyo 6.5 recommended setting crossover at 80. Is that ok?
2. Low pass set to lfe, phase set to zero, volume at 12:00.
3. When calibrating my speakers the Onkyo book says set at 80db. The B&W book does not recommend a calibration level. Is 80db ok for any speaker system hooked up to the receiver?

The easiest thing for me to do is buy another 1000 sub. But will I just have two of something I am not crazy about.

If I can get two of the Pb 12’s that would be my second option, but I hate box this one back up and ship it.

Buy one 2000 and maybe get another one in 6 months.

First world problems.
It's not the sub that's the problem it's your room just a bit too big for that sub. If you want the kind of bass your talking about your going to need to upgrade. At minimum 2 PB 2000's at minimum.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It's not the sub that's the problem it's your room just a bit too big for that sub. If you want the kind of bass your talking about your going to need to upgrade. At minimum 2 PB 2000's at minimum.
I would try one PB2000 but ideally 2 of them eventually.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So two of the 12 NSD won’t do the trick?
It's not what I would qualify as a wall shaking, glass breaking type of sub. I'd be looking to start with something like a Hsu VTF 3 Mk 5's to get into that territory.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Snake isn't wrong but I like Steve's suggestion a little more.

OO, you said SoCal... Hsu is in Anaheim. If you are close, give them a call and you can always swing through. I think they just ask for a day's notice. If you like it... take one or two home. ;) If it doesn't work arrange to bring them back in person so you can avoid the shipping costs!

That said, you already have money on the table with SVS... Decision is yours.

PB2000 or the Hsu VTF3mk5. I think these will get you where you want to go!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So two of the 12 NSD won’t do the trick?
As good as those SVS is if you really really like that type of bass that powerful I'd even go past the PB 2000's and go with what @Steve81 stated the HSU VTF mk'5s as well just start off with one for now go dual later if you are on a budget. Otherwise your looking at PB 3000's to really really get you the bass you want in that room from SVS.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thank you all for your help. I am going to order the 2000, if I like it I will order a second one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis