Paradigm 100v4 with receiver, or amp and receiver?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
He doesn't have the option of adding an amp to the old Denon 1912 as it doesn't have pre-outs....but I would recommend future avrs to have pre-outs just for that flexibility if needed.
Good catch, also, did you notice his 110 dB might have been inflated a bit because those speaker's actual sensitivity would likely be less than the advertised 91 dB, especially if the impedance is more like 4 Ohms than 8, if it is anything like the V3s? And he entered 5 speakers, THX' s ref level is for one speaker. I think basing on 2 speakers may be reasonable but 5 seems extreme.

I am a believer in a lot of people can do well without external amps but to be on the safe side I would still recommend a 200 W/300 W 8/4 Ohms amp for his big towers in case he might want to crank things up occasionally.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good catch, also, did you notice his 110 dB might have been inflated a bit because those speaker's actual sensitivity would likely be less than the advertised 91 dB, especially if the impedance is more like 4 Ohms than 8, if it is anything like the V3s? And he entered 5 speakers, THX' s ref level is for one speaker. I think basing on 2 speakers may be reasonable but 5 seems extreme.

I am a believer in a lot of people can do well without external amps but to be on the safe side I would still recommend a 200 W/300 W 8/4 Ohms amp for his big towers in case he might want to crank things up occasionally.
It all depends on actual use of course. I get along fine without power amps, altho am using some just because I have them.....but I'm listening at lower levels than in years past to be nicer to my ears, too. The Denon 1912 just may not cut it for him, but hard to know from where I sit :)

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
I put 5 speakers as my front two towers, my center, and 2 rears. Is that incorrect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I put 5 speakers as my front two towers, my center, and 2 rears. Is that incorrect?

I tend to use the calculator with just 2 speakers....are all five spec'd the same for sensitivity, tho?

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Alright guys so here is what I'm thinking for now. I found a Paradigm center used and am picking that up this week. It is the CC570 V3. I'm still searching for two rear paradigm speakers that I can mount on the wall since rearranging the room removed the option for floor standing rears. But that is lower on my list. I'm still doing research on the receivers and amps but right now I'm thinking an Emotiva XPA 3 to power the center and two towers and then I'll need to get a receiver with pre-outs as my Denon AVR 1912 doesn't have them.

My question is.....Do you recommend one larger sub like the SVS PB-2000 Pro or PB-3000 or buying two smaller subs like the PB-1000 and placing one by the tv and one by the couch?

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Picked up a Paradigm Studio Reference CC-570 v3

It’s huge! Now I need to mount my tv on the wall. Next up is the rear speakers, subs, receiver, and power amp.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
There are/were several Dynamo series subs....can't tell which from the photo but looks like a really small one...8"?
That's the original Dynamo and believe it or not it's not bad at all. I have one I picked up from on OfferUp for very cheap (They bought form Magnolia for $700 I think). It's a 10 inch downfiring sub. After this one they came out with a bunch of models. I wouldn't say it's worthless at all. I am keeping mine. But you can certainly do better eventually. Does it seem to be giving you decent bass for now? If so, perhaps get your receiver squared away then start saving for something that would be a significant upgrade. Don't make the mistake of buying something just slightly better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's the original Dynamo and believe it or not it's not bad at all. I have one I picked up from on OfferUp for very cheap (They bought form Magnolia for $700 I think). It's a 10 inch downfiring sub. After this one they came out with a bunch of models. I wouldn't say it's worthless at all. I am keeping mine. But you can certainly do better eventually. Does it seem to be giving you decent bass for now? If so, perhaps get your receiver squared away then start saving for something that would be a significant upgrade. Don't make the mistake of buying something just slightly better.
Maybe adequate ;).
Worthless, no.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
I’ve never listened to a SVS or other quality sub. So my Dynamo seems to produce a lot of bass. At least way more than my soundbar sub could produce. Now I’m sure once I get a better sub in there it will be even better.

And I bought it from a guy for $150, he bought it for $700 as well brand new. So that’s more than the smallest SVS. I know price doesn’t mean it will be better, but I don’t think its bad.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis