Oppo UDP 203 vs 205

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Oh, I so agree! This is one of the very best companies. I bought my original OPPO directly from them and have had occasion to stop by for a fix (my dog bumped the tray pretty hard and it wouldn’t close) and they not only fixed it for free on the spot but they also gave me a case to transport it. I’ve also phoned their Tech Support on a couple of occasions. In all cases, the customer service was superlative. I will miss them.

I also agree, the future is high res streaming and its one of the many reasons I wanted the OPPO and its analog outs. I just now trying to get going on streaming. I’ve sent my CDs off to be copied, I’ve ordered equipment, etc., but I haven’t yet actually done it. If you have time, could you explain how you interact with the OPPO to accomplish streaming? Do you use its Ethernet connection? How do you “talk” to it and ask it to stream something?
I added a 4T external to my laptop, and plan to retire it to fulltime storage duty when funds allow for a new PC for the office...it's stable with back up. JRiver v23 is essentially my control head and it has multiple functions, ripping, organizing, media, pretty good playback, hi-res, mc hi-res, etc.

Ethernet would be my suggestion for the Oppo. Once on the network, and booted up, the main menu offers a network option. Take that option and the Oppo will search for other things on the network to interact with.

The Laptop is recognized and you click on that and have the JRiver content...For now the Laptop stays in the office and the Oppo is in a loft area...I realize 49 down on the ethernet connections, most times it's pretty stable, but I've had a few drops, so I'll eventually move the laptop to the ethernet.

The setup really isn't difficult once the host and Oppo are on the network. The real work if you go that route is organizing, creating playlists, etc. If you take your time it's fun...I'm working on a whole house jazz playlist...maybe 80 songs into...Sunday background music.

S

sterling shoote

Now that the dust has settled and the smoke has cleared since I purchased my OPPO 205 back in February, I have concluded than the unit serves me best for multi-channel SACD pleasure via its multi-channel analog output. Using the OPPO in this manner does not require a monitor to make correct settings on OPPO to output from disc. I simply insert disc and playback is automatic. I do however need to better understand my remote control since the OPPO remembers the track last played and picks it up from there no matter what I do with the remote control.

I also, like the usb DAC feature. Having this feature has inspired me to purchase hi-res downloads in ALAC to put into my iTunes Library. This feature it appears does require me to: turn on monitor and set input to HDMI 2, then from OPPOs remote, set input to USB Audio. I also need to set laptop to OPPOs driver. This is not at all confusing, but it is something I do not need to do to enjoy iTunes Library via Airplay. Of course Airplay only delivers 16/44; but, I've gotta tell ya, I am very hard pressed to say that the hi-res 24/192 music delivered by the OPPO sounds much better, so, I'm inclined now not to go to the extra measures to use the OPPOs usb DAC for casual background music pleasure.

As far as network music play goes, I am too stupid to make it work without expending so much effort that the urge for music just passes. Thing is, there is no point for network, since I'm wired with usb DAC, other than multi-channel, which I do not believe I can get with iTunes (I've read that switching from WAS to DirectSound may allow for multi-channel storage and playback from iTunes; but, I've not tried it). Players aside, I have discovered that multi-channel pleasure from Network using DLNA server, gapless is not possible. I have been told that some other sort of server will indeed do gapless; but, I do not know how to set it up. So, for now, I'm just downloading multi-channel and putting it on a thumb drive to play from OPPOs front usb port, which will do gapless. At any rate, multi-channel pleasure, other than from disc, is just too much work, and requires attention to computer navigation that I have no desire to learn how to use.

Lastly, I have not hooked up my OPPOs HDMI input to my laptop; but, this may be an easy solution for multi-channel, that's to say I can download multi-channel flac files to a music player that will play multi-channel, like foobar 2000, and, from there, just output over HDMI to OPPO. Will that get me multi-channel to analog output from OPPO?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do however need to better understand my remote control since the OPPO remembers the track last played and picks it up from there no matter what I do with the remote control.
In setup sounds like you have auto play mode set to on, as well as auto resume to on; what happens if you change the auto resume to off?

2channel lover

Now that the dust has settled and the smoke has cleared since I purchased my OPPO 205 back in February, I have concluded than the unit serves me best for multi-channel SACD pleasure via its multi-channel analog output.

As far as network music play goes, I am too stupid to make it work without expending so much effort that the urge for music just passes. Thing is, there is no point for network, since I'm wired with usb DAC, other than multi-channel, which I do not believe I can get with iTunes (I've read that switching from WAS to DirectSound may allow for multi-channel storage and playback from iTunes; but, I've not tried it). Players aside, I have discovered that multi-channel pleasure from Network using DLNA server, gapless is not possible. I have been told that some other sort of server will indeed do gapless; but, I do not know how to set it up. So, for now, I'm just downloading multi-channel and putting it on a thumb drive to play from OPPOs front usb port, which will do gapless. At any rate, multi-channel pleasure, other than from disc, is just too much work, and requires attention to computer navigation that I have no desire to learn how to use.

Lastly, I have not hooked up my OPPOs HDMI input to my laptop; but, this may be an easy solution for multi-channel, that's to say I can download multi-channel flac files to a music player that will play multi-channel, like foobar 2000, and, from there, just output over HDMI to OPPO. Will that get me multi-channel to analog output from OPPO?
I remember that trial and error event we had a while back...good that much was solved.

I'm still sort of an old school type listener at times...spinning discs I still do a lot and the multi-ch world I'm just tapping...whenever I see opportunity and some value I've been investing in SACDs, some MC, some not. I'm building some storage shelving and when I max that out I'll need to move more into hi-res downloads.

Multi-ch analog or hdmi...I haven't had issues either way....I haven't tried the USB 3.0 rear panel option.

Network...I'm not gathering you there...if you want to playback your downloads, playlists, etc, via the 205 Ideally the network function on the 205 is setup to make this an easy task, but iirc this is where we were bogging down. You found another way to make it work.

S

sterling shoote

I remember that trial and error event we had a while back...good that much was solved.

I'm still sort of an old school type listener at times...spinning discs I still do a lot and the multi-ch world I'm just tapping...whenever I see opportunity and some value I've been investing in SACDs, some MC, some not. I'm building some storage shelving and when I max that out I'll need to move more into hi-res downloads.

Multi-ch analog or hdmi...I haven't had issues either way....I haven't tried the USB 3.0 rear panel option.

Network...I'm not gathering you there...if you want to playback your downloads, playlists, etc, via the 205 Ideally the network function on the 205 is setup to make this an easy task, but iirc this is where we were bogging down. You found another way to make it work.
Tell me if your HDMI from your PC to OPPO allows for multi-channel analog output? In other words, if I have a multi-channel flac download in foobar 2000 will the HDMI connection from PC to OPPO allow OPPO to convert to analog and output from analog multi-channel output?

S

sterling shoote

In setup sounds like you have auto play mode set to on, as well as auto resume to on; what happens if you change the auto resume to off?
I'll check that out, thanks.

2channel lover

Tell me if your HDMI from your PC to OPPO allows for multi-channel analog output? In other words, if I have a multi-channel flac download in foobar 2000 will the HDMI connection from PC to OPPO allow OPPO to convert to analog and output from analog multi-channel output?
Quick answer...no. The 1st sentence revealed the answer. "HDMI from your PC to your Oppo..."

For the analog DAC in the 205 to get the signal it would have to come from the analog inputs....there maybe hdmi to rca cables but I'm not confident we could find a hdmi to MC-rca cable.

S

sterling shoote

Quick answer...no. The 1st sentence revealed the answer. "HDMI from your PC to your Oppo..."

For the analog DAC in the 205 to get the signal it would have to come from the analog inputs....there maybe hdmi to rca cables but I'm not confident we could find a hdmi to MC-rca cable.
So, HDMI to OPPO is HDMI out from OPPO, there's no DAC conversion?

2channel lover

So, HDMI to OPPO is HDMI out from OPPO, there's no DAC conversion?
There is a conversion to analog of course, but from the DAC associated with the HDMI signal path if that's the way you have it set up.

From the 205 to your AVR or pre/pro if you have both the hdmi (main) or hdmi (audio only) and the 7.1 analog connected in settings there may be a way to assign analog or hdmi to the multi-channel playback.

I wired the 7.1 analog into media player on the pre/pro, dedicated stereo analog into CD on the pre/pro, and hdmi main to BLU Ray on the pre/pro.

Multi-channel playback

Downloads...from the pre/pro I hit media player, this option has a video interface. The Oppo, you go to the main menu which now shows on the TV monitor and select network...the Oppo scans the network for content...if the laptop is on it finds the music...wifi or Ethernet.

I recently uploaded a ripped MC SACD.. Fleetwood Mac "Rumors"....find the song I want and it plays back in multi-ch via the analog DAC.

If I play a Bluray concert and select Bluray on the pre/pro, I get multichannel music but from the hdmi DAC...I can play the same disc and have the audio go thru the 7.1 analog by selecting media player on the pre/pro.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
From the boat loads of reviews sounds like this is a very nice transport. What are your thought on the ease of use with the USB DAC on the 205? How would you rate the DAC?

From what I read earlier, I'm a bit disappointed on the fact that the 203 does not have a DAC. However, oppo's site says they do (but maybe this is for surround audio only) IDK.
  • High Performance DAC
    The UDP-203 offers 7.1-channel audio outputs for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The 7.1-ch outputs feature "Velvet Sound" 32-bit premium digital-to-analog converters from AKM of Japan, delivering an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience.
Oppo also says, "The UDP-203 supports streaming stereo PCM audio up to 192 kHz 24-bit from Roon."

I'm asking all this because I was thinking of getting an integrated amp with a usb DAC to get the high-files from the computer into the amp. What are your though on either a 203/ 205 for this purpose? If i did get something like this 70% would be for stereo high-res music 30% 5.1 1080 blu-rays.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the Roon app? I've read though most of this thread, seems like the network set up was fairly complicated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the boat loads of reviews sounds like this is a very nice transport. What are your thought on the ease of use with the USB DAC on the 205? How would you rate the DAC?

From what I read earlier, I'm a bit disappointed on the fact that the 203 does not have a DAC. However, oppo's site says they do (but maybe this is for surround audio only) IDK.
  • High Performance DAC
    The UDP-203 offers 7.1-channel audio outputs for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The 7.1-ch outputs feature "Velvet Sound" 32-bit premium digital-to-analog converters from AKM of Japan, delivering an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience.
Oppo also says, "The UDP-203 supports streaming stereo PCM audio up to 192 kHz 24-bit from Roon."

I'm asking all this because I was thinking of getting an integrated amp with a usb DAC to get the high-files from the computer into the amp. What are your though on either a 203/ 205 for this purpose? If i did get something like this 70% would be for stereo high-res music 30% 5.1 1080 blu-rays.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the Roon app? I've read though most of this thread, seems like the network set up was fairly complicated.
I'm also curious as to the specific dac differences. I've not even used the 7.1 analog output on my 203, but my understanding it is quite good, but the 205 slightly better; it seems I could use the 203 as a pre-amp for a simple setup. I do remember they had some past bass management issues with clipping but that I think was resolved with the 203/205 (from the 103/105). The 205 may have some different capabilities for 2ch use, not sure. I briefly looked at the Roon offer, but too expensive a service overall to be of much interest to me, didn't see the value in it.

2channel lover

• High Performance DAC

205 DACs...the Asynch USB...from my understanding terminates at the dedicated stereo DAC...reportedly one of the best DACs in it's class.

Ease of use...simple, once plugged in the 205 recognized the laptop and I can either use the JRiver playback or the Oppo.

Hi Res streaming...I'm not sure why you would need an integrated amp w/ USB DAC. The Oppo can find your computer on the wireless network, or hardwire it to the Oppo if it's nearby. The 203 can accept hi res files via usb also.

I stream quite a bit, but not so much hi res music yet. I'm building a hi-res playlist so this might change, but right now, habitually I first go for the physical media when it comes to critical listening.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
205 DACs...the Asynch USB...from my understanding ...reportedly one of the best DACs in it's class.

Ease of use...simple, once plugged in the 205 recognized the laptop and I can either use the JRiver playback or the Oppo.

Hi Res streaming...I'm not sure why you would need an integrated amp w/ USB DAC. The Oppo can find your computer on the wireless network, or hardwire it to the Oppo if it's nearby. The 203 can accept hi res files via usb also.

I stream quite a bit, but not so much hi res music yet. I'm building a hi-res playlist so this might change, but right now, habitually I first go for the physical media when it comes to critical listening.
So in what do you mean by “terminates at the dedicated stereo DAC”? So the 205 has a dedicated stereo DAC?

2channel lover

So in what do you mean by “terminates at the dedicated stereo DAC”? So the 205 has a dedicated stereo DAC?
The RCA port/XLR ports create a path for the signal to reach a DAC...I just used the word terminate which isn't really true, it continues on to the amp and obviously the speakers...yes, the 205 does have a dedicated stereo DAC accessed via the RCA or XLR jacks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The RCA port/XLR ports create a path for the signal to reach a DAC...I just used the word terminate which isn't really true, it continues on to the amp and obviously the speakers...yes, the 205 does have a dedicated stereo DAC accessed via the RCA or XLR jacks.
Why would you access a DAC via rca or xlr?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
OK so explain this one guys, the MSRP for the 205 is $1299 yet people are selling for over 2k used? WTF

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis